The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1578 replies

The app was working relatively well for me since beginning  I have two separate Sonos homes now and not able to sync my move and roam to my other devices : beam play 5 and sonos one. Everything was working fine yesterday when I update the app. Woke up this morning with this issue. 

Only my Move and roam show up  the iOS app. However my beam, five, sonos ones show up on the desktop controller.  SMH . I thought I got away pretty free from issues but add me to the list. 

When will Google Assistant be fixed?  This is a core feature advertised to work on your speakers.  Your product page lies that this is a working feature.

More hands-free help

Ask Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to control your smart home devices, manage your calendar, and more.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam#footnote-google:~:text=More%20hands%2Dfree,calendar%2C%20and%20more.

Thanks Bumper just added my music library back from my pc and old Sonos Playlists active. Look forward to being able to access it again from the app in July.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can we please have an update on the Coming soon updates given we were supposed to have access to our local libraries again from mid June and its now the 26th June.

You can use the desktop app to set up your local music library today. Here’s their list updated June 24.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

In reading the Community forums, a lot of people still cannot use the desktop app to set up local libraries. I know I cannot - the app just continues to give error messages each time, and SONOS has not offered a solution or workaround.  I am on MacOS, so if you have a realistic workaround, I would be happy to try it out. I have already changed the security settings as others have recommended. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not all loseless is the same and of course Apple always go their own way, including forcing manufacturers to pay fees to use it formats. A PC/mac is a very powerful multipurpose device so often it is a simple matter of software. For devices with limited processing power they often use chips to help with processing the decoding (codec) - so it generally isn’t a matter of a software update - it is a limitation of old tech.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Can we please have an update on the Coming soon updates given we were supposed to have access to our local libraries again from mid June and its now the 26th June.

You can use the desktop app to set up your local music library today. Here’s their list updated June 24.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

In reading the Community forums, a lot of people still cannot use the desktop app to set up local libraries. I know I cannot - the app just continues to give error messages each time, and SONOS has not offered a solution or workaround.  I am on MacOS, so if you have a realistic workaround, I would be happy to try it out. I have already changed the security settings as others have recommended. 

Might be worth looking at this …..

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You can set up your local library as a NAS through the Sonos desktop controller on your Mac:

1. First you need to share activate sharing: Settings > Privacy & Security > Media & Apple Music.  Click ON.

2. Add your Music Library through a NAS set up, instead of adding through My Music. 

You should have access to all of your music files and playlists.  Creating or saving playlists on the iOS app is risky business, I would only make playlist changes on the desktop controller.

What about the local network access bug - as to where it’s requiring local network access, we’ve given it - and it’s still not allowing me to join my existing system on the phones wife…

This has been a persistent problem for us. I have done upwards of 20 factory resets stuck in this loop.

Last night ‘your sources’ appeared on the S2 app front page giving me access to the music library . Although it clashed with the search bar after moving things around I could access my music library once again. 
However this morning it’s all gone !!! 
Anybody have any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Last night ‘your sources’ appeared on the S2 app front page giving me access to the music library . Although it clashed with the search bar after moving things around I could access my music library once again. 
Anybody have any ideas? 

It might be to do with the speaker that is currently selected. For example, “TV” does not appear under Your Sources unless you have selected that room/speaker from your list of speakers (i.e. if the room containing the soundbar isn't currently selected, “TV” won’t appear in Your Sources).

I wonder whether selecting a different room/speaker brings back your music library on the home screen? I’m not suggesting that’s the way it should be but it might explain why it appears and disappears.

Anybody have any ideas? 

This happens to me all the time. Force quitting the app and re-opening it, sometimes 4 or 5 times usually brings it back. 

Please give us the old app so we can enjoy our systems while you all fix this. I have a few thousand worth of equipment that is worthless now.  

Thanks Bumper- I removed the app and set up five times to no avail. Logged into my PC  controller and noted the music library path to my network drive was no longer there so re entered it  and let it update . I then removed phone app and re installed it and the music library came back. Let’s see how long it stays there! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

You can set up your local library as a NAS through the Sonos desktop controller on your Mac:

1. First you need to share activate sharing: Settings > Privacy & Security > Media & Apple Music.  Click ON.

2. Add your Music Library through a NAS set up, instead of adding through My Music. 

You should have access to all of your music files and playlists.  Creating or saving playlists on the iOS app is risky business, I would only make playlist changes on the desktop controller.

Thanks for the advice but I was not able to make this work on desktop or my phone. The options for privacy on desktop allow me to add SONOS but then the S2 controller does not accept the library no matter how I try to add it. On iOS, my phone has no option to add SONOS. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

In a recent addition to this thread, Sonos staff wrote:

Here’s their list updated June 24.

It seems that things are slipping on a regular basis.

What confidence can we have that the features can and will be reintroduced?

Can we please have some actual dates - to the day - Sonos is confident it can deliver on its commitments.

Day on day slips to the advertised schedule do not generate confidence in Sonos’ capabilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

“...delayed to July in order to address feedback from beta testing.”

By “beta testing”, they mean the public.

Can we please have some actual dates - to the day - Sonos is confident it can deliver on its commitments.

Day on day slips to the advertised schedule do not generate confidence in Sonos’ capabilities.

I agree that it’s concerning that they have slipped on some of the deliverable dates. But at the same time hopefully the blow back is not too negative or they will likely stop communicating any dates with us.

If they can’t estimate what part of the month, what make you think they can accurately predict the actual day?  Things take what they take, and sometimes it takes longer than one estimates.  As the old software engineering joke goes, the last 10% takes 90% of the development time.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

If they can’t estimate what part of the month, what make you think they can accurately predict the actual day?  Things take what they take, and sometimes it takes longer than one estimates.  As the old software engineering joke goes, the last 10% takes 90% of the development time.  

exactly! - thats significant 5 features … getting the right month is a big ask, let alone the week. Also - considering the amount of anger at buggy issues they need the time to resolve issues and not be pinned to a day. Software engineering is vey misunderstood outside the industry .. it’s not like logistics where a supermarket will get a devliery at time X on day Y.

The microsoft office for £200 type thing can make it seem like software development is a quick, simple, straight forward process; it’s far from it - the amount of effort for each feature is likely to be multiple man-weeks. You also can’t just throw more people at the problem either - thats been tried and always ends in crashing to firey doom.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The dates that Sonos published following the backlash for the 7th May release were never realistic. Anyone with any software development experience would agree.

Those dates were published in an attempt to pacify the users who were badly impacted. Now, unsurprisingly, those users are upset that dates for key features are being missed.

I’m sure at some point we’ll see a revised schedule at some point but I expect that for the next couple of weeks the Sonos developers will be focused on fixing and reinstating as much as they can in each release.

exactly! - thats significant 5 features … getting the right month is a big ask, let alone the week. Also - considering the amount of anger at buggy issues they need the time to resolve issues and not be pinned to a day. Software engineering is vey misunderstood outside the industry .. it’s not like logistics where a supermarket will get a devliery at time X on day Y.

The microsoft office for £200 type thing can make it seem like software development is a quick, simple, straight forward process; it’s far from it - the amount of effort for each feature is likely to be multiple man-weeks. You also can’t just throw more people at the problem either - thats been tried and always ends in crashing to firey doom.

To the bolded, I quote The Mythical Man-Month - “9 women can’t make a baby in one month.”

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

At this point, why would anyone believe a word that comes out of Sonos hq?
They lied about it being brilliant in the run up to the release. They then said it was a “courageous” release when the everyone realised it was actually complete s****, with it being both bug ridden and feature lacking.

They then give fix dates which are now being missed.

The Sonos board are incompetent liars.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Are you fixing the Apple apps ability to show the current song/queue? (Not sure about on other devices) it is more off than ever on & I can’t even use it to start music, change a song, pause/play, like/dislike or volume control!

Basically, I can’t use the app at all because I have no remote features because it NEVER loads. Yet, the rest of the app does! Even when I press on a last played selection that’s showing it won’t play! 

What’s happening? You guys are better than this!

From a loving customer of 20years!

Please get this fixed ASAP!!

I’m ready to sell this Sonos crap and buy me a Bose system. I have  8 Sonos speakers but can’t listen to my music so it’s pointless to keep y’all’s crap. Give us the old app back are I promise I want be the only one leaving y’all s****** service for something we can use. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 1

I’m ready to sell this Sonos crap and buy me a Bose system. I have  8 Sonos speakers but can’t listen to my music so it’s pointless to keep y’all’s crap. Give us the old app back are I promise I want be the only one leaving y’all shitty service for something we can use.