Skip to main content
News

New Sonos App Update!

Related content: Software News
New Sonos App Update!

Yesterday we released a new update to both iOS and Android.

The update has the following version numbers:

80.02.05 (Android)

80.02.04 (iOS)

Please note that you may need to check for updates in the App Store in order to update during the first few days of the release.

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

• Mute button (on iOS)

• Play Next & Add to End of Queue

• Sleep timers

• Improved local library connectivity

• Improved Trueplay setup (on iOS)

• Added distance settings for surrounds

• Ability to update older firmware systems

Check out the full release notes here.

We've still got a road ahead of us and here is what’s coming soon:

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

• Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June

• Local music library search and playback: mid-June

• Improved playback settings including Play Now: July

• Create and edit local music library: July

• Improved Autoplay settings: July

• Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July

• Snooze alarms: TBD

We appreciate your continued patience.

Update 17 June 2024:

Today we release another update for the new Sonos app.

80.03.06 - iOS
80.03.03 - Android

This update brings a number of fixes and additions that you've been asking for.

In this update:

• Introduced mute button on Android.

• Added numerical values to the volume and group-volume sliders.

• Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level on iOS.

• Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS.

• Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android.

• Added support for SonosNet channel selection on iOS.

• Expanded support for service reauthorization on Android.

Update 1 July 2024:

Today we released another update for the new Sonos app.

80.04.04 - iOS
80.04.04 - Android

Check out the full release notes here.

In this update:

• Added multi-product setup for professional installers for iOS
  • Improved accessibility for configuring alarms with VoiceOver and Talkback
  • Added autoplay setting for analog devices using line-in for Android
  • Added support for SonosNet channel selection for Android
  • Added timezone settings for iOS
  • Added the option to forget a system in order to connect to or create a new system for iOS
  • Improved notification for player firmware updates on Android

Update 18 July 2024:

80.05.01 (Android)

80.05.01 (iOS)

Please note that you may need to check for updates in the App Store in order to update during the first few days of the release.

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

• Added setup, configuration, and search for local Music Library
  • Improved account settings for Sonos Pro subscribers
  • Improved line-in autoplay and compression settings
  • Improved accessibility in Settings
  • Improved notification for player firmware updates 
  • Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level
  • Amp/Port can be configured for Stereo or Mono output in Android
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp

• Playlist editing
  • Downgrade from S2 to S1
  • Persistence of offline devices 
  • Additional configuration settings

A few notes about Local Music Library Functionality

Fixes for all of the following issues will be addressed in future updates. 

We appreciate your patience!

• After adding/removing a share, there can be a delay during reindexing where it’s not clear that Music Library indexing is happening, and some leftover elements of a removed share can still show up during reindexing. Be patient - it is in fact, still indexing. 
  • Music Library Search is not accessible in the controller without access to the Internet.
  • Local Music Library will not work for alarms.

Additional things to consider specifically on Android:

• The “More” menu, Play Now and Play Next options may fail with "something went wrong" for local library content. Local Music Library albums are also currently unable to be favorited. 
  • - When a new library share is added, it doesn't appear in the music library settings page. The share does appear if you dive into Music Library > Folders. It may appear if the share disappears after closing/reopening the app, but the share is successfully added.

Things to consider specifically on iOS: 

• No album art of Albums in Sonos Favorites

Update 6 August 2024:

80.06.04 (Android)

80.06.03 (iOS)

AD_4nXe7e7lRVBzrNBdX3g0FPrmcZy4FLhfIBkz8rKJkHpdLELP2GL-B5iyBeD6U25DCJyKWH7Z4rBQatr5FAWa1JxXTWGIF6I-od29jdvSR_Gep5f90rtxEuPGM3-fzoboJMzwnFPLntmdDENzryT-6HoO2GbA?key=3MBgCiMSYJUlLjmzAk3J-A

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

In this update:

• Introduced TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Arc, Beam, Beam 2, and Ray on Android
  • Added TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Beam, Beam 2, and Ray on iOS
  • Added S2 to S1 downgrade tool 
  • Improved smoothness and reduced latency for Group Volume controls on iOS
  • Added mute buttons for individual products in Group Volume controls
  • Added Group Volume controls from the Now Playing screen on iOS
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on iOS
  • Improved performance for large queues on iOS
  • Added the ability to “forget system” on Android
  • Improved reliability for speech enhancement and night mode settings on iOS
  • Improved reliability when starting playback from a playlist on Android

Update 27 August 2024:

Today we release another update for the new Sonos app.

80.07.03 - iOS
80.07.05 - Android

In this update:

• Accessibility improvements in Settings
  • Improved smoothness and reliability for product setup
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on Android
  • Added Night Sound toggle in Room Settings for sound bars

It remains utterly crazy that the app was not completed before release. Simple as that.

Whilst I, like many others, have been critical of the new app and specifically it being released before it was ready, I think the development need some recognition for the hard work that they have done in the last 4 weeks. 

Whist it is still not fully function and performs badly for many users this is a lot better than the initial version so congratulations and please keep up the good work. 

To be clear, my comment was a criticism of higher decision-making at Sonos, not of the Sonos team manning the forum or the coders working to fix the myriad issues.

Whilst I, like many others, have been critical of the new app and specifically it being released before it was ready, I think the development need some recognition for the hard work that they have done in the last 4 weeks. 

Whist it is still not fully function and performs badly for many users this is a lot better than the initial version so congratulations and please keep up the good work. 

Nice to see a supportive comment for a change. The Sonos developers must be working their socks off to salvage the awful situation management have dropped them into and I wish them all the very best as they battle along the timeline. 

In the meantime I'll be sticking with Android V16.x, thanks very much. 

The hard work is appreciated, but instead of focusing on restoring lost features, why not fix connection problems so that your speakers are recognized and make sure that volume control is responsive. These are basic functionalities that must work

What is up with the new EULA? You need to accept new terms in order to get basic functionality of the app back? 

I agree with @Gaham, the Sonos App has certainly improved since its initial release and I’m looking forward to seeing the features mentioned added to the new App in the coming weeks.

Peter Pee in one of his YouTube videos, perhaps summed things up about the Sonos App’s initial roll-out by saying, the user interface (UI) is fine, but the user experience (UX) is not, due to those missing features, Now that these things are starting to return to the App, the UX is improving with each new update.

I too appreciate the work that’s going into this - so thanks to everyone that’s involved in continuing to make this new App better with each update. It’s also been helpful seeing an outline of the planned development roadmap ahead too, which I know that Sonos very rarely choose to share here, but it does currently help with expectation, aswell as knowing what App features are perhaps just around the corner.

Thanks again.🙏

To be clear, my comment was a criticism of higher decision-making at Sonos, not of the Sonos team manning the forum or the coders working to fix the myriad issues.

I think we all understand that.

Interesting article on the latest update. In my opinion Sonos have only started being transparent because of the complaints here. Before the release they gave no warnings about the missing functionality.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sonos-sleep-timer-returns-to-app/

@Ken_Griffiths but sadly this is still not the game changing app that they promoted before 7th May and it still feels like a beta or even an alpha.

The developers are doing a great job but they are playing catchup because of a poor decision to release the app before it was ready.

@Ken_Griffiths but sadly this is still not the game changing app that they promoted before 7th May and it still feels like a beta or even an alpha.

The developers are doing a great job but they are playing catchup because of a poor decision to release the app before it was ready.

I didn’t say it was @Gaham - I just said the App UX is getting better with each new update. I didn’t comment on why it was initially released early - In truth, I personally would choose to not give a comment on that matter, as I have not personally seen the reasons why the App was released before it was perhaps finished. Nor will I openly lay blame on anyone for that decision in public, particularly without first seeing some reasonable evidence (not speculation) that provides support to making such comment.

If it helps, I accept the App appears to have been released early and incomplete. I just don’t know why that was, but the App is certainly continuing to improve with each new update. 

@Ken_Griffiths I was not trying to infer that you thought the app was ready. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Android 80.02.05

Have been able to see my local library ever since early May update. No album art yet. 

What concerns me in particular is no reference to Sonos Playlists which allowed so much flexibility and integration of both local and network material. Cannot get the Sonos Favourites to save anything as a partial workaround either.

App is incredibly inconsistent, room control, loadup (asking for login, no seeing system sporadically etc.), not saving order on content screen.…

Things can only improve. 

Android 80.02.05

Have been able to see my local library ever since early May update. No album art yet. 

What concerns me in particular is no reference to Sonos Playlists which allowed so much flexibility and integration of both local and network material. Cannot get the Sonos Favourites to save anything as a partial workaround either.

Same here: the new Android app has far more issues than the iOS app, and that is saying something. Sonos Favorites are entirely un-functional for me on the Android app, and work AOK on the iOS app. Seriously frustrating.

I don’t see any notes regarding continued adjustment of queue management.  Is the current functionality to be expected as operating standard?  There is no management of an active queue which is integral and (should be) inherent in a MUSIC PLAYING APPLICATION.  

I don’t see any notes regarding continued adjustment of queue management.  Is the current functionality to be expected as operating standard?  There is no management of an active queue which is integral and (should be) inherent in a MUSIC PLAYING APPLICATION.  

Agreed - Queue management was never great - for example, it would be nice to be able to search in the queue for a song rather than have to add it again to hear it now.  In my dreams, I guess, for some better than S2.  Now just being able to re-order or delete from the Queue like the old days would be welcome.

Is any of that on the roadmap?

Yesterday we released a new update to both iOS and Android.

80.02.05 (Android)

80.02.04 (iOS)

With this update we've added or improved some of the following features you all have been asking about:

• Mute button (on iOS)

• Play Next & Add to End of Queue

• Sleep timers

• Improved local library connectivity

• Improved Trueplay setup (on iOS)

• Added distance settings for surrounds

• Ability to update older firmware systems

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

• Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June

• Local music library search and playback: mid-June

• Improved playback settings including Play Now: July

• Create and edit local music library: July

• Improved Autoplay settings: July

• Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July

• Snooze alarms: TBD

We appreciate your continued patience.

Sonos Playlists?  The ones we created and saved since forever.  Workaround for Playlists?  SonoPhone - that still works - so, are you bringing them back to the “Ace” app?

Agreed - Queue management was never great - for example, it would be nice to be able to search in the queue for a song rather than have to add it again to hear it now.  In my dreams, I guess, for some better than S2.  Now just being able to re-order or delete from the Queue like the old days would be welcome.

Is any of that on the roadmap?

Its extremely concerning that it isn’t even mentioned on the road map. Re order and delete at a minimum.

@Marco.B the new features for the app including alarms, add next to queue, add to end of queue and sleep timer weren’t available in my app despite being fully updated. Many other people have experienced this as well.

The reason why the features aren’t available is because we are using DNS based privacy/add blocking on our networks. Whitelisting all *sonos.com traffic isn’t enough, the features only become available if we allow the third party servers that you are using to deliver adds in the app. No features without ads.

Is this a bug or mistake or will we need to keep allowing sonos in app adds and third party tracking/ad servers to keep receiving the new features?

...will we need to keep allowing sonos in app adds and third party tracking/ad servers to keep receiving the new features?

WTF!?!?!?!

Looks like you are restoring missing features, but I don't see anything here that improves basic functionality.  More often than not, when I start the app, my system is not found.  Two or three tries finally finds my system.  If I leave the app running and return later, my system is missing again; sometimes comes back after a delay. Or, the queue is empty and I can't stop, start or change anything.  Phone restart temporarily resolved the problem.

Also - unable to play more than 100 songs in an Amazon playlist.  This problem occured last year in April and was resolved ( by Amazon?)

​​​

Android user; June 4 update

WTAF... can't even accept terms and conditions on android, leaving the app unusable. If you can't fix things, roll things back and find someone with a clue to fix the mess you've created.

@Marco.B the new features for the app including alarms, add next to queue, add to end of queue and sleep timer weren’t available in my app despite being fully updated. Many other people have experienced this as well.

The reason why the features aren’t available is because we are using DNS based privacy/add blocking on our networks. Whitelisting all *sonos.com traffic isn’t enough, the features only become available if we allow the third party servers that you are using to deliver adds in the app. No features without ads.

Is this a bug or mistake or will we need to keep allowing sonos in app adds and third party tracking/ad servers to keep receiving the new features?

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Two days ago I commented …

The new app has a distinctly different architecture: both the controller (iOS/Android app) and Sonos devices communicate with Sonos servers “out on the internet” … and that introduces all kinds of variables that were not present a month ago. In addition to internet bandwidth and latency, there’s load on the Sonos servers. And everyone's ISP modem and router/firewall are now in play, which can be introduce behaviors that are devilish to diagnose.

… add DNS-based filtering to that last sentence. Anyone with “firewall functionality” may experience unintended consequences as those firewall rules interact with the new app traversing the internet. Many contemporary ISP/aftermarket routers implement privacy/malware/parental-control firewall functionality BY DEFAULT.

@Marco.B Diagnosing and debugging these issues—which represent issues being encountered today and documented in these forums—is an awfully tall order bordering on impossible. Asking a user to “turn off your firewall” is simply not viable as many users won’t know how to comply. Simply put, features cannot be gated based on looking up ‘flags’ in the cloud.

@Marco.B Can you please say more about what “Improved playback settings including Play Now“ means?  Is this queue management? Reordering and deleting in the active queue in the app?

@Marco.B Can you please say more about what “Improved playback settings including Play Now“ means?  Is this queue management? Reordering and deleting in the active queue in the app?

I assume the ‘Play Now’ feature being referred to is the one shown in the Sonos App guide on Sonos.com. When added I expect it will show above the ‘Play Next’ option … See below:

@Ken_Griffiths Thank you, I understand the Play Now part.  But does “improved settings” plural mean they have more in mind for that bullet point than just Play Now?  I’d really like to know what their plan is for queue reordering and deleting.