The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1624 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Today’s update:

Sometimes my Port for the back porch speaker amplifier wants to work; sometimes it does not stream Spotify.  I had to use the Apple TV and TV to listen to music while cleaning fish on the back porch instead.  

My Connect:Amp still does not stream smoothly.  

My Playbase still does not play any audio smoothly.  

I had to reboot my Symfonisk to get it to stream.

My Play:5 Gen 2 wasn’t streaming this morning but did in a short test.

My Beam in the Keeping Room was not streaming this morning, but now it is for the last 30 minutes so far.

The Living Room Beam played a little something earlier.

Because I cannot depend on this system, I’ve started ordering HEOS devices to replace some of these to test out; may order Bluesound and WiiM just for the fun to compare.  You had your chance Sonos; this is definitely a good-bye.

What about the local network access bug - as to where it’s requiring local network access, we’ve given it - and it’s still not allowing me to join my existing system on the phones wife…

This update blows for this reason

I thought some folk resolved this by signing out/in within the new App (in the user account settings)🤔?

What about the local network access bug - as to where it’s requiring local network access, we’ve given it - and it’s still not allowing me to join my existing system on the phones wife…

This update blows for this reason

I thought some folk resolved this by signing out/in within the new App (in the user account settings)🤔?

You still surprised that what works for one person doesn’t work for another since this app is a buggy POS?

Today’s update:

Sometimes my Port for the back porch speaker amplifier wants to work; sometimes it does not stream Spotify.  I had to use the Apple TV and TV to listen to music while cleaning fish on the back porch instead.  

My Beam in the Keeping Room was not streaming this morning, but now it is for the last 30 minutes so far.

Because I cannot depend on this system, I’ve started ordering HEOS devices to replace some of these to test out; may order Bluesound and WiiM just for the fun to compare.  You had your chance Sonos; this is definitely a good-bye.

I have a WIIM Pro works every bit as good as the Port that I also own.  But cost $325 less than the port 😱

Dear Sonos Development: Please put back the ‘mute’ button on all Sonos UI/players/controllers. Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Today’s update:

I have a WIIM Pro works every bit as good as the Port that I also own.  But cost $325 less than the port 😱

How do you like WIIM’s app and multi-room capability?  Does it work with any other connected speakers?  There are some cases where I want something contained into 1 unit, such as the speaker for the master bathroom on a shelf and not have two items taking up space on the shelf (and two electrical outlets).

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

By some miracle overnight the Alarms came back.  

Like everyone else I bought the system, actually 3 sets, to be able to listen to my 13,000 songs in my music library.  

Please fix the error of your ways ASAP

The supported shared local libraries are already in the new Sonos App .. the library now has to be shared using the SMBv2 or higher protocol. SMBv1 and http shares are no longer supported as widely publicised (even via the S2 App) before the new App was released.

@Ken_Griffiths 

Is there some more guidance around the SMB change as I’m somewhat confused and its not a subject I’m familiar with.

• My WD My Book World NAS is pretty old - I think maybe 2009 - so I suspect is using SMBv1 and I don’t see any setting to change it.
  • My new Windows 11 laptop does say the share is SMBv1 and won’t access it by default.
  • However, the new Sonos app seems to be seeing it and playing music just fine (though navigation/search clearly a hassle at the moment) although I’ve not tried reindexing given that feature is gone from the app. 

Any idea what is going on here? 

Also I’ve seen people mention bugs using SMBv2 on Sonos which was leading people to continue to use SMBv1 to index. What is the current position there?

I’m open to buying a new NAS for Sonos given my current one’s age but want to know its going to work. Will be waiting for local library search to return too first! 

Thanks

@Ken_Griffiths

Is there some more guidance around the SMB change as I’m somewhat confused and its not a subject I’m familiar with.

• My WD My Book World NAS is pretty old - I think maybe 2009 - so I suspect is using SMBv1 and I don’t see any setting to change it.
  • My new Windows 11 laptop does say the share is SMBv1 and won’t access it by default.
  • However, the new Sonos app seems to be seeing it and playing music just fine (though navigation/search clearly a hassle at the moment) although I’ve not tried reindexing given that feature is gone from the app. 

Also I’ve seen people mention bugs using SMBv2 on Sonos which was leading people to continue to use SMBv1 to index. What is the current position there?

I’m open to buying a new NAS for Sonos given my current one’s age but want to know its going to work. Will be waiting for local library search to return too first! 

Thanks

Are you running the latest version of the new Sonos App from your mobile device App Store - perhaps just goto the store and check that first. It’s version currently stands at 80.00.08 for iOS devices. 

AFAIK that latest Sonos App should only see SMB v2 or higher - you may find your NAS is setup to perhaps use the most appropriate version of SMB (between SMB v1 and v3) for the connected client. So the SMB version on the NAS might be ‘dynamic’ in your case, but perhaps check the NAS user manual.

What is confusing me here though, is  Windows 11 (which does not support SMBv1 either) is clearly not being given the option to use a higher version of SMB by the NAS and that’s contradictory - and making me ask why?

Anyhow just check first what version of the new Sonos App you have installed. SMBv1 ‘might’ not have initially been switched off in the earlier version, perhaps 🤔? - but that’s just a guess.

Otherwise I’m just as confused by this as you, too.

How do you like WIIM’s app and multi-room capability?  Does it work with any other connected speakers?  There are some cases where I want something contained into 1 unit, such as the speaker for the master bathroom on a shelf and not have two items taking up space on the shelf (and two electrical outlets).

No issues with the app. The Sonos S2 app was more polished imo It has fewer services so make sure you are good with that. I use Apple Music via Airplay 2. It has Chromecast which is pretty big if on Android. So if you use 3rd party apps you’ll have no issues. 

I can sync it with all my Sonos speakers with Lyrion Music Server (local music, which is pretty awesome) or Airplay2 

I have this installed in a Gym area. Gets used every day, haven’t had issues. Definitely consult other opinions though. 

Userlevel 3

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

• Adding and editing alarms
  • VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen.

I got an email stating something similar to the above - that Adding and editing alarms should now be possible.

This is not the case.

I have done the following

1. Confirmed my 13 speakers were running the latest firmware version.
  2. Updated the app
  3. Confirmed my 13 speakers were running the latest firmware version.
  4. Tested - nothing changed
  5. Force stopped the app
  6. Tested - nothing changed
  7. Force stopped the app, cleared app cache and app data.
  8. Tested - nothing changed
  9. Logged in, Tested - nothing changed
  10. Force stopped the app, cleared app cache and app data and uninstalled, rebooted my phone and reinstalled the app
  11. Tested - nothing changed
  12. Logged in, Tested - nothing changed

This has gone beyond ridiculous. 

And for all of the following items - they are basic features which in some cases are needed to just use the system.

Coming soon

• Additional improvements to screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June

I am not going to ask how this happened, just express my extreme disappointment with how the situation was and is currently being handled.  These are sold as being premium speakers - and this is turning out to be a disaster.

I suggest that you Publish the old app out using the current application stream in iTunes and Google play and release a new app with a different name to let people choose when to take the update until you have the app fully functional with equal or more features.

To top it all off, the old app states that “This version of the Sonos app can no longer control your system”.   You essentially soft bricked my system for the purposes in which I purchased it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Today’s update:

The port is stupidly overpriced (I have one), as were the two Connects I had before S1/S2gate.  I bought them despite the price ironically because of the software.  Sigh. 

The port is stupidly overpriced (I have one), as were the two Connects I had before S1/S2gate.  I bought them despite the price ironically because of the software.  Sigh. 

Yeah I also owned Connects and Connect amps, now ports and amps. I would still recommend the Port and Amp, but TBH today I couldn’t see myself spending $900 (the cost where I live) on an amp when a $350 WiiM amp would do the job. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Ken_Griffiths

Thanks

Are you running the latest version of the new Sonos App from your mobile device App Store - perhaps just goto the store and check that first. It’s version currently stands at 80.00.08 for iOS devices. 

AFAIK that latest Sonos App should only see SMB v2 or higher - you may find your NAS is setup to perhaps use the most appropriate version of SMB (between SMB v1 and v3) for the connected client. So the SMB version on the NAS might be ‘dynamic’ in your case, but perhaps check the NAS user manual.

What is confusing me here though, is  Windows 11 (which does not support SMBv1 either) is clearly not being given the option to use a higher version of SMB by the NAS and that’s contradictory - and making me ask why?

Anyhow just check first what version of the new Sonos App you have installed. SMBv1 ‘might’ not have initially been switched off in the earlier version, perhaps 🤔? - but that’s just a guess.

Otherwise I’m just as confused by this as you, too.

Thanks, I’m on 80.00.02 so maybe that explains things and accepting updates again will be game over for my NAS.

Any news on the SMBv2 indexing problemsI’ve heard people mention? 

Userlevel 4

@Keith and the Sonos Team:

Ok, you wanted to do right. I get that. Please have the self assurance now to see the mistake and act to limit the damages. Offer the old app, at least temporarily. 

Today the new app broke down completely on my android phone. I cannot play anything any more, as the fantastically details error message "something went wrong" tells me. Restarting speakers, phone, app, reinstalling, rebooting WiFi. Nothing helps. The support address you give on the play store is not monitored any longer. What is this? A "how to loose market share quick" competition? 

People at Sonos: things go wrong, that's ok. Now is the time to show your ability to deal with a crisis. Currently this insistence on "a few weeks" is just a joke. I invested many hundreds of Euros in your devices, and you make them unusable for me, then tell me to wait a couple of weeks. Imagine I do this to your car....not fun, right? Please, act, make the old app available for those who want it until the new app is truly release ready. 

Userlevel 1

THIS APP UPDATE IS A DISASTER!!! I SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I COULD LISTEN TO MY PERSONAL MUSIC COLLECTION ON MY COMPUTER AND NOW YOUR ‘UPGRADE’ IS THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO THAT SOMETIME IN A MONTH OR TWO????? You are stealing my Sonos from me. The entire management team should resign in shame.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the timeline, much more helpful than tone deaf lectures about “courageous” decisions. Talk of “falling short” doesn’t really cut it - simple testing would have told Sonos that further work was necessary before rolling this out to paying customers.

Put simply - If you had been honest about all this beforehand I would never have upgraded. Sonos’ lack of honesty over this beta mess of an app degrades the trust I had for you as a longstanding customer.

Adding to a playing queue is hardly a niche request for an integrated music system. And you must surely understand that you have many users who rely on alarms, sleep timers, and basic search and browsing of music libraries.

I strongly feel that the old app should be made available via official app stores for those who wish to roll back - both iOS and android - until the features on the timeline are all working.

THIS APP UPDATE IS A DISASTER!!! I SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I COULD LISTEN TO MY PERSONAL MUSIC COLLECTION ON MY COMPUTER AND NOW YOUR ‘UPGRADE’ IS THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO THAT SOMETIME IN A MONTH OR TWO????? You are stealing my Sonos from me. The entire management team should resign in shame.

You should be able to do that now, not in a month or two. Maybe this link will get your library working for you…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/adding-a-windows-smb-share-step-by-step-6892060

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have an additional problem I cannot update as Sonos doesn’t support my internet connection as it is a 5g cellular connection even though it’s 400mb down 20 up.

so if I do upgrade I will get told I need a “real” internet connection to make it work 

I was told this when SVC wouldn’t work after a previous update and now it won’t install anymore as I am not connected to the internet apparently 😮‍💨

I use Alexa now and it works great and I have never had network issues in the time I have had the system but this update is scary as it’s apparently web based and maybe sonosnet is going

hopefully my system will last long enough for me to get replacements sorted out 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It is not an unfinished app, its a half working app, aka - Beta Demo Version. 
The problem with the SUB before was fixable by not using trueplay, but here we miss key features of the system. I’m trully amazed how this was approoved to be released… Some will say its because of their upcoming products but in any case it’s a total disrespect to their customers…..I’m trully disappointed.

Userlevel 2

what about trueplay tuning it does not work in the new update ?

It will not start tuning it just stop then it should start.

Just adding my voice to the chorus of less than enthusiastic endorsement of the App upgrade on my Android phone. It won’t even reliably find any of my components let alone provide control. Have tried the usual reboots, resets, etc. to no avail. App on PC still seems to function mostly but lack of access to local music library is disconcerting to say the least. I have always found Sonos tech support pretty good but currently I am underwhelmed.

Userlevel 3
Badge

“Listening to music” feature to be added later.

Sonos was already a difficult app to get to use properly, this latest update is now so much worse.  

I can understand why your customer support isn’t picking up any calls !!!!

Aside from all the config issues, it’s sloooow!

You need to roll this back,  fix your app , get on board with Apple,  test it, then release it !!! 

Signed, Upset paying customer

Userlevel 2

What about making physical volume buttons finally work as literally every other app supports? Or a Lock Screen widget?

There has been a lot of discussion of this around here and it isn’t a App v80 issue.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

• Screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding and editing alarms: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June 
  • Update Wi-Fi settings: mid-June

Sonos hates their customers 

Yes this approach they’re taking makes ZERO sense and is only damaging their brand.  Terribly.

Thanks for the dates, but our systems are useless until then. I feel like I’m being manipulated to use streaming services. Is that why you’re doing this? Because you make more money from streaming services than you do from your equipment customers? Roll this nightmare back, lose the marketing children that did this, and hire people who actually use your product!