The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1629 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

If the alarm is back.  I logged off and on. I deleted and reinstalled the app. Hardware up to date. No alarm. No library

Userlevel 3
Badge

Clueless PM + Useless Change/Release with no attempt at version control+a joke of QA (bet they sampled 2 dev devices and thought good enough) + No understanding of the community. 

that pretty much sums up this whole release and image of Sonos now. 

Userlevel 2

C O U L D  Y O U  P L E A S E  G I V E  U S  T H E  O L D  A P P  B A C K!

Helloooooo is any body there?

I love the Dolby Atmos via Apple Music, but whenever I add another speaker it turns the entire stream into Stereo.

It would be great if you could play Dolby Atmos through your Arc, while also streaming through the One in my kitchen, Roam on the patio etc.

Even if it’s just a compressed version of the Atmos stream through the One/Roam/etc..

Thank you!

My new issue trying to reauthorize Apple Music and keep spinning. Why? 

Apple app store says I have the latest version, your app doesn’t show any update avaiable, yet I still have no alarm!

Maybe try logging out the App, close it fully (slide off screen) and then open/login again. To see the alarms, goto  ‘Settings/System’ (cog icon top right in App). Then select ‘Manage’ (above the rooms list) and all being well the Alarms will be in the list on screen.

Some users have also reported deleting the Sonos App and installing again from the App Store has got the feature to return.

Hope that assists.👍

Some users have also reported deleting the Sonos App and installing again from the App Store has got the feature to return.

Alarm is back if you follow the above. why couldn’t this be pushed as an automatic update instead of having to reinstall? 

Userlevel 2

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

• Adding and editing alarms
  • VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen.

Coming soon

• Additional improvements to screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June

Building the App from the ground up? It certainly feels like it. In fact the App has the feel of a company that has just entered the market and really has no idea what they are doing and have no money behind them to improve.

Given I’ve been with Sonos for well over 10yrs now I’m astonished at how terrible this new update is. It’s not an UPDATE!

You have removed all the brilliant features that set you apart in this marketplace, made both speakers and Music libraries unusable and appear to not be able to see your own errors.

The thousands of £,€ etc your customers have spent on your products and this is how you repay them. I would personally sack the entire team that developed what you call a new App as this is very far from that. It’s dreadful and the response from Sonos is too.

Userlevel 1

I deleted the new Sonod App, installed the old version and turn the option "automatic update" OFF. This morning I found the new UNUSABLE SONOS APP on my phone. This update was made without my consent. Till now I questioned your incompetence in building apps and dealing with the mess you caused. No answer yet. 

Now we are entering legal grounds...

I am sitting on Sonos hardware I cant use as advertised because of the mess you create. This is issue 1. Do you plan to introduce a money back option for unusable hardware???

You  forced the app update without my consent. This legal issue I promise you to bring somwhere else. 

And as a thank you for not responding AT ALL I am stopping buying your equipment.

This is my last message to you. Great job!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Keith N , will the ‘Adding to queue and playing next: early June’ function include the ability to move tracks around in the existing queue like previously?

And will the return of Local search allow us to scroll quickly through the local library like previously?

(in this sense, ‘previously’ means users who have not updated and remain on the functional 16.1, not those who have updated)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Apple app store says I have the latest version, your app doesn’t show any update avaiable, yet I still have no alarm!

Maybe try logging out the App, close it fully (slide off screen) and then open/login again. To see the alarms, goto  ‘Settings/System’ (cog icon top right in App). Then select ‘Manage’ (above the rooms list) and all being well the Alarms will be in the list on screen.

Hope that assists.👍

Alarm is back if you follow the above. why couldn’t this be pushed as an automatic update instead of having to reinstall? 

thanks I’ve done all that  no alarm

let alone no library 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Please fire someone to make us believe in Sonos again.

__

In professional sports when a team underperforms, the coach gets fired.

Why? Because the fans will stop showing up if they don’t believe that things will be better.

Can you publicly let go whoever was responsible for this mess? 

__
Yes, I get how there are demands to change your system to align with a whole new kind of potential hardware. I get how your business wants to get the new hardware out the door by a certain date, and how hardware and software cycles don’t always neatly align.

But look, you screwed up. And there are lots of strong emotions. I have never previously considered not having Sonos hardware in my home. But I am now. It’s unsettling. I just can’t access anything from my music library. My house is either quiet, or I now have ads to listen to with streaming music. I HATE it. 

I don’t want to wait 30 more days to listen to MY music. I’ve already spent 3-4 hours trying to figure out workarounds, but it’s fruitless.

Please pick a couple ‘coaches’ to fire. They’ll get their overly generous severance for 6 months - they’ll find some new opportunity. But come on, you’ve got to do something because you’ve created a huge mess here. Make it public so we can know and at least feel a bit better that things are getting better. 

And don’t make it some team of 30 people. The folks like Keith N. are doing the good work and did not create this mess. I’m tired of seeing a team of layoffs but the executives and managers keep their jobs.

Userlevel 2
Badge

By some miracle overnight the Alarms came back.  

Like everyone else I bought the system, actually 3 sets, to be able to listen to my 13,000 songs in my music library.  

Please fix the error of your ways ASAP

Like everyone else I bought the system, actually 3 sets, to be able to listen to my 13,000 songs in my music library.  

The supported shared local libraries are already in the new Sonos App .. the library now has to be shared using the SMBv2 or higher protocol. SMBv1 and http shares are no longer supported as widely publicised (even via the S2 App) before the new App was released.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The supported shared local libraries are already in the new Sonos App .. the library now has to be shared using the SMBv2 or higher protocol. SMBv1 and http shares are no longer supported as widely publicised (even via the S2 App) before the new App was released.

Indeed, Ken, it was publicised on the S2 app but only once (when I was busy) and I could find no way to go back later to read it. Fortunately, I read comments which made me turn updates off. So glad I did. When it’s fixed, I might give the new app a try. For now I’m watching the discussion…

at least I used it as an excuse to buy a new NAS

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have no idea what that means.  All I know is there is no option to play my music library.  What do I need to do to format it properly?

Badge

I have no idea what that means.  All I know is there is no option to play my music library.  What do I need to do to format it properly?

You need to configure your music library to use SMBv2 or higher.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Tell us where your music is stored, for instance is it in a PC or a Network Storage Device (NAS), or some other device.  What is the model number / age ?  If you’re using an old NAS it is less likely to support the newer SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocols. 

Every time I open the app it says “something went wrong” for several seconds. I can no longer control my music from the pull down menu in android. Did any humans test this app before your deployed it? It feels like half baked garbage…

Well this link explains what you need to do if using a Windows PC to share the local library…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/adding%2Da%2Dwindows%2Dsmb%2Dshare%2Dstep%2Dby%2Dstep%2D6892060

I don’t use MacOS, but assume the steps will be similar and if using a NAS box, then I’d perhaps consult it’s user manual to see if it supports SMBv2 (or higher) and how to switch it to that version for your music library share in the NAS configuration pages.

The reason for stepping away from SMBv1 is partly explained here…

https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/smb-protocol-explained-understanding-its-security-risks-and-best-practices

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tell us where your music is stored, for instance is it in a PC or a Network Storage Device (NAS), or some other device.  What is the model number / age ?  If you’re using an old NAS it is less likely to support the newer SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocols. 

Thanks I have a Dell Windows laptop with all my music on an external hard drive.  It is stored under iTunes, Media, Music

Badge

Does Sonos have an open issue list somewhere? I like to know if they are aware of the issue adding units with older hardware.

Since the ‘new and improved’ app came out I have had nothing but troubles. I loved the sleep timer and still forget when I go to bed….grrrr. Also the app falters at any given time. Just today listening to all my speakers..I have 5 speakers plus sound bar, the music stopped on all but 1 speaker. I also have had playlist suggestions from Sonos that were awesome, but if I shut them down to go out when I come back and want to listen to same playlist it says “oops something went wrong, try again” Love the speakers, love the sound, HATE THE NEW APP

Thankfully my laptop hadn’t upgraded yet so I could remind myself about all I liked about the previous version. Please consider adding these features back:

1. I like I can quickly view “My System” by room so one click to adjust a room.
  2. I like I can quickly view “My Stations” and that it defaults to the latest streaming service I have used - with all other stations, playlists listed so in one click can pick from there.
  3. Finally the volume control - that when I click on the icon - the rooms I have engaged automatically come up for further refined adjusting.

These features seem to all be lost in the mobile version and require several clicks and swaps to make adjustments. Please return soonest. Thank you.

Userlevel 3

Mid-June? are you serious?

What else will go wrong then?

I thought for a long time about buying your stock, now I am glad I did not.

It's time to short it.

What about the local network access bug - as to where it’s requiring local network access, we’ve given it - and it’s still not allowing me to join my existing system on the phones wife…

This update blows for this reason