Skip to main content
Question

Old Sonos super laggy in S2

• 20 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi, I have had this problem since before the recent Update. All my devices are S2 compatible. But using the older ones (Play:1) its extremely laggy. Moving the volume slider doesn't do anything for 5-10 seconds, pausing or playing the same. I downgraded all my devices to S1 and it's working perfectly fine. So I suspect my Network is fine. the problem is: The S1 doesn't seem to get any attention anymore. Trueaudio doesn't work, it's buggy. So using the more recent software seems to be the way to go. I reset one of my Play:1 to try it with the new app. It’s a wired connection for now. But I am experiencing the same problems. 

I sent a Diagnostic Info with the number **********. So if anyone from Sonos is reading please check if you can find anything that is causing this in my system. I have tried everything on the support pages (i.e. changing the Wifi Channel….). 

Thanks!

Moderator edit: Diagnostics number recorded and removed (identifying information)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have the same issue which has plagued my system for the last 2 months. Terrible lag in loading the app and using features. I am running multiple S! speakers. My neighbor is having the same issue with his system. I’ve been on a call with Sonos tech support but a once responsive customer service group is now poor. The system was reset and viewed by tech support...the only way to turn it off was to unplug the speakers. Back in service now but still very laggy. I sent another report to Sonos but no response so back to waiting for customer service. All non Sonos wireless devices are running perfectly fine.

Hi. I've got exactly the same issue. I have 4 older Play:1's, 1 newer Play:1, a One, Ray, Amp and Roam all S2 compatible.

They are all connected to the same WiFi mesh network.

The newer products are fine but the old Play:1's are all terribly laggy, exactly as you both describe. The volume control is pretty much unusable. There is a 7+ second delay from moving the volume slider and the volume changing. The slider often moves up and down randomly by itself during the delay. It's even worse when two or more speakers are grouped.

Absolutely infuriating.

In case anyone from Sonos is listening, the offending hardware version for all 4 units is 1.8.3.7-2.0

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good afternoon!

I have experienced the same problem with my old gear and the only way I found to fix the problem was to move to 5 GHz WiFi (all my gear supports 5 GHz).

See 5 GHz support list here: https://support.sonos.com/en/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

I have 11 Speakers split in a few of those: Move, Play:1, Play:3, One, Sub, Roam

Never had a problem since I changed frequency.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same issue, I wouldn’t waste your breath/time, I’ve tried all ways to contact/speak to Sonos re: this and also had a tech hang up on my and not call me back as promised. The only response I’ve had off Sonos recently is this -

“A single response repeated across multiple threads, that does not address underlying issues in a constructive manner and detracts from the experience of others, is considered spam. Should this behaviour be repeated, a ban on your account may be implemented”

Basically what they’re saying is if you don’t stop complaining about our app that does not work we’ll ban you. You couldn’t make it up!

Moderator Note -  The response from moderation quoted in this post was regarding spamming, not for sharing your feedback or opinion. We want every user to feel welcome on our community and so everyone must also follow the Community Code of Conduct.