Trouble adding a speaking in my office

• 26 August 2022
  • 8 replies

I have 7 Sonos speakers.  I am having trouble adding a speaker to my office.  I can add it but it drops out after about 1 minute or less.  If I move it to another area in the home I have no problems and it maintains a connection.  I purchased a new one as I didn’t realize it could be the room and thought the older one (1 year old) was just glitchy. IT is the room where the router is located.  Any tips?  I am  not super techie…

Nicole

8 replies

Is the speaker very close to the router, i.e. less than 50cm? If so try moving it away a bit. 

Perhaps paradoxically, being too close to a router can ‘deafen’ the wireless receiver.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Or try Ethernet wiring it rather than using wifi. 

Or try Ethernet wiring it rather than using wifi. 

Yes, but the distance between the device and the router would still matter, and I was trying not to introduce another variable such as the SonosNet channel.

I tried moving it out of the room and it still happened in the hallway although the one in the room next door works fine…  It’s definitely more than 50cm though…

I guess I can try Ethernet routing.  I have to see if I even have an extra cable.  Its been a minute since I have had to do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You do realize that if you wire it and it is the only Sonos that is wired you will be switching your Sonos from WiFi to SonosNet mode?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NicoleLust 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The keyword “Office” is a bit of a red flag, as offices usually have a wealth of other equipment, some of which may be interfering with your Sonos device. A WiFi-enabled printer is a classic example. Please try to keep the speaker at least 1m away from the router and any other devices that might receive or transmit WiFi.

I hope this helps.

moving it several meters away did not work unfortunately

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NicoleLust 

Do you have multiple WiFi access points? If so, what are they?