Trouble adding a speaking in my office

• 26 August 2022
  • 8 replies

I have 7 Sonos speakers.  I am having trouble adding a speaker to my office.  I can add it but it drops out after about 1 minute or less.  If I move it to another area in the home I have no problems and it maintains a connection.  I purchased a new one as I didn’t realize it could be the room and thought the older one (1 year old) was just glitchy. IT is the room where the router is located.  Any tips?  I am  not super techie…

Nicole

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NicoleLust 

Do you have multiple WiFi access points? If so, what are they?

moving it several meters away did not work unfortunately

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NicoleLust 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The keyword “Office” is a bit of a red flag, as offices usually have a wealth of other equipment, some of which may be interfering with your Sonos device. A WiFi-enabled printer is a classic example. Please try to keep the speaker at least 1m away from the router and any other devices that might receive or transmit WiFi.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You do realize that if you wire it and it is the only Sonos that is wired you will be switching your Sonos from WiFi to SonosNet mode?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

I tried moving it out of the room and it still happened in the hallway although the one in the room next door works fine…  It’s definitely more than 50cm though…

I guess I can try Ethernet routing.  I have to see if I even have an extra cable.  Its been a minute since I have had to do that.

Or try Ethernet wiring it rather than using wifi. 

Yes, but the distance between the device and the router would still matter, and I was trying not to introduce another variable such as the SonosNet channel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Or try Ethernet wiring it rather than using wifi. 

Is the speaker very close to the router, i.e. less than 50cm? If so try moving it away a bit. 

Perhaps paradoxically, being too close to a router can ‘deafen’ the wireless receiver.