Answered

Connect Amp keeps dropping out audio

• 19 September 2023
  • 95 replies

Show first post

95 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

believe new update just dropped that appears to address this.  YMMV.

Userlevel 1

Sounds like the memory issue with older kit eg Connect:Amps, described in other threads, eg here.. 

Would be good if the new update does finally fix it. Time will tell.

believe new update just dropped that appears to address this.  YMMV.

Can I ask where you got the information from that it addresses this issue? I applied an update last week that unfortunately hasn’t improved anything. Thanks. 
Adam 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Still at version 15.11 here in the UK which dropped in December.  No other updates available this side of the pond! 

Andrew 

Still at version 15.11 here in the UK which dropped in December.  No other updates available this side of the pond! 

Andrew 

That’s what I see too… no update here in the UK so far.

Andrew 

That’s what I see too… no update here in the UK so far.

That’ correct but Sonos do issue further builds under the main update the most recent was last Wednesday I believe when mine went from version 76.2-47270 up to v.76.2-49050, this is what I was asking on my original comment, if anyone knew if the release notes are published for these ‘sub’ updates?

That’ correct but Sonos do issue further builds under the main update the most recent was last Wednesday I believe when mine went from version 76.2-47270 up to v.76.2-49050, this is what I was asking on my original comment, if anyone knew if the release notes are published for these ‘sub’ updates?

No I’ve not seen anything, so sorry can’t help.

Unedited Sonos Staff words today in another thread on this subject:

we're close to releasing an update that fixes certain conditions with older players. I still recommend that you do not get your hopes up, however, as things will still likely vary on a device-by-device basis.

Well, I updated to 16.0 last night and still the same issues, not sure if that was supposed to be the fix as there was nothing in the release note.   Guess we’ll just have to wait. 

I’ve been having the same issue with my Connects (series C100, hardware 1.17.5.5-1.1). All are wired (WiFi turned off on all of them), and have DHCP reservations. Factory reset doesn’t help. Rebooting them helps for a while, then the issue returns. Running the latest 16.0 software.

I hate to have upgrade the hardware just because Sonos borked the firmware.

I think it is less of a ‘borked firmware’ issue, and more of a ‘MTBF’ issue with electronic memory.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The newer firmware is apparently causing the problem to manifest but it isn’t an error in the firmware causing the problem. The firmware is forcing the hardware to use previously unused amounts of memory, memory that should (MTBF issues aside) be available and error free. As the memory isn’t performing properly due to age/wear issues we see the problem manifest.

This apparently is only impacting some older Sonos, and only a few of them. Ones that have a history of heavy memory use, leading to the additional failed memory locations.

Sonos may be able to find a solution to the memory issue and add it to the S2 firmware or they may be forced to admit it is unfixable and reclassify the older Sonos as S1 systems. Maybe leave them as S2 until the errors appear, then offer to drop them back to S1 or possible offer a reduced price S2 replacement.

Sonos rarely acts quickly but in the end they have a history of dealing well with customers.

Add me to the list with super frustrating issues with 6 connects and 1 connect amps.  I guess misery loves company!  No way would I invest the money to upgrade.  I have no newer items.  is there any risk in the S2 to S1 downgrade?  Can someone link me to a procedure to do that?

I’ve come to terms with the fact this issue will never be sorted, I just power the unit down when the problems start and it works okay for the next week or so. 

Its no coincidence SONOS wanted to phase out and actually disable these older products. As I recall they only backtracked when users became outraged and they started getting a ton of bad press. Well then it seems scheduled obsolescence is what they decided to do instead. As a Wireless Network Engineer what really upsets me is the attempt to blame it on network issues when they know exactly what the issue is. Well if they won't upgrade we will make them upgrade. I would never recommend another SONOS product to anyone. I just can't trust they will stand behind their products. 

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

I don’t recall any time at which Sonos planned, discussed, or announced that they wanted to phase out older equipment. They always had S1 support for them. Can you point me to a discussion where this is not the case?

The only thing I’m aware of that they backtracked on was forcing the old device out of service when it was used to get a discount on a newer device. That lasted for about three weeks, then they decided to allow the user to keep the old device ‘traded in’ as functional. 

Badge

Your reply actually proves the point that they did attempt to phase out…in my view what they’re currently doing is essentially a way to force you to upgrade. 
I’m not inclined to spend another 5K$ to upgrade just to have them pull the same in 1 or 2 years.

I don’t follow your logic. If they maintained S1 for older devices, and only chose to disable devices that were used for upgrades, how does that indicate ‘phasing out’? I can see the ‘phasing out’ for trade ins, but wouldn’t it have been much easier for them to stop support completely, and drop S1? Force everyone to upgrade, rather than giving people an option? 

I will ask again for a discussion where Sonos talked about this. It’s certainly possible I’m wrong, so I would love to see a link. 

And if you’re concerned about the need for ‘upgrades’, I’d recommend staying away from technology completely. Everything that has electronic memory, and a CPU will eventually need to be updated/upgraded . It’s happened to phones, computers, handhelds, etc. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Your reply actually proves the point that they did attempt to phase out…in my view what they’re currently doing is essentially a way to force you to upgrade. 
I’m not inclined to spend another 5K$ to upgrade just to have them pull the same in 1 or 2 years.

Sonos screwed up massively releasing this firmware. But IMO this more Hanlon’s razor, not a diabolical attempt to get people to upgrade. 

ln my opinion there is a big difference between sunsetting support for a product and pushing a firmware that renders a product unusable. All I expect in a product of this nature is to be able to continue to use it as advertised. I have no delusions of an electronic product that is "supported"  indefinitely. However I do expect it to function as advertised until the hardware breaks down and fails  What I feel SONOS has done here is render a perfectly working device (less then five years old I might add) unusable and I don't believe for a second that they were unaware of this issue before pushing the firmware that borked the same products they planned on bricking

https://fortune.com/2020/01/23/sonos-apologizes-updates-speakers/

and this is where I have a problem it's a move out of the old Apple iphone playbook and I understand that works for some. I just didn't anticipate it coming from SONOS. Live and learn I guess?!?! 

I think that it could prevent a lot of ill will if there was a memory check utility that would end speculation. This could be standalone or part of an S2 upgrade. SONOS support could quickly run the utility and save a lot of time on the phone.

Badge +1

Add me to the list of haiving the same issues with connect and connect:amp starting last year. Following...

Badge +1

Has anyone back tracked to S1 and did it resolve the issues?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hopefully this link works, if it’s not to the direct post if you read through the thread there is at least one

( @ANOpax ) owner posting s1 resolved it  

Yes, the referred link has the experience of one user that got out of this mess via a rollback to S1.

I never moved to S2, but after reading about this mess, I have stopped updates within S1 as well. I am fine with old CPUs/memory cards, because new ones needed to carry the load of ever bloating software do zilch for the sound quality or the user experience, in my view.

I do not think that Sonos messed around with older devices as a tactic to boost sales, but they certainly messed them up and are now being very tardy in fixing things - or even admitting to these units not being fixable because that may then mean a financial liability of offering free replacements.

But for those who can do without S2, there is a workaround that seems to be robust.