Answered

Connect Amp keeps dropping out audio

• 19 September 2023
  • 98 replies

Show first post

98 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Re reserving the IP addresses I tried to reserve them by changing setting on my hub to always use a specific IP address which I switched to ‘Yes’ but it doesnt seem to save the setting. I assume the hub should recognise the MAC address and then set the IP address that is reserved but as I say it doesnt save the setting to always use the same IP Address!! I have a group of 4 players together!

Dig into your hub’s manual and find a way to get the Sonos speaker MAC to router IP assignment mapping to stick, it is sounding more and more like DHCP may be at the root of your issues.

Badge +3

I do have the option now of connecting all 4 C:A’s to my router via ethernet through a Netgear switch so maybe thats the next thing to try that way I can disable WiFi and eliminate that its interference and if I still get problems I can look at this being a hardware problem by just running one C:A at a time to see if I get dropouts.

Badge +3

Hi Stanley yes agree the gear isn't really old at 6 years but I changed the one in question in any case for a spare that I have thats hardly been used and still have a problem so that was a waste of time, I did think the Sonos guy was just trying to find any reason for the problem to get off the line. I have tried again to change channels using 1, 6 and 11 plus I switched off the 5G but none of them fix the problem so I am really at the end of my tether and looking to maybe dump the Sonos system for something else as its just not usable! I appreciate that the proximity of my neighbours WiFi may be a problem but short of getting them to switch it off I cant see what else I can do!!!!!!

I’d really be curious what is meant by ‘OOM killer’. 

I’ve been having the same issue with my Connects (series C100, hardware 1.17.5.5-1.1). All are wired (WiFi turned off on all of them), and have DHCP reservations. Factory reset doesn’t help. Rebooting them helps for a while, then the issue returns. Running the latest 16.0 software.

I hate to have upgrade the hardware just because Sonos borked the firmware.

Badge +3

Hi just to update on my Connect Amp problem, it's over 2 weeks now and since replacing the CA with the newer Amp I have not had any problems! I still have problems with dropouts with the other CA and find that if I power it down and up again it seems to fix the problem albeit for a day and I suspect that powering down and up is clearing the memory buffers and so more and more suspect that the problem is lack of memory caused by multiple updates over the years taken up more and more memory! Will be interested to see if Bill’s problem has been fixed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The newer firmware is apparently causing the problem to manifest but it isn’t an error in the firmware causing the problem. The firmware is forcing the hardware to use previously unused amounts of memory, memory that should (MTBF issues aside) be available and error free. As the memory isn’t performing properly due to age/wear issues we see the problem manifest.

This apparently is only impacting some older Sonos, and only a few of them. Ones that have a history of heavy memory use, leading to the additional failed memory locations.

Sonos may be able to find a solution to the memory issue and add it to the S2 firmware or they may be forced to admit it is unfixable and reclassify the older Sonos as S1 systems. Maybe leave them as S2 until the errors appear, then offer to drop them back to S1 or possible offer a reduced price S2 replacement.

Sonos rarely acts quickly but in the end they have a history of dealing well with customers.

Have you submitted a diagnostic and called Sonos? There are two things that come to mind when reading your post, ducking associated with a voice assistant and/or overheating of the Amps for some reason. A diagnostic would go a long way to finishing out, but unfortunately, those of us in the community have no access to that data, only Sonos employees do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I had two problem neighbors so I wired as many Sonos to Ethernet as I could, gave me a strong enough signal to all the wireless ones that things worked pretty well.

I really would do a fresh diagnostic and call back, hoping for a better tech.

Badge +3

Hi as suggested I did a new diagnostic and called Sonos support and spent nearly an hour on the phone while the guy I was talking to spoke to his superior somewhere else who could see the interruptions on the system and has now suggested a different reason for the audio drop outs.

He says it’s because my Connect Amps are running out of memory!!

Apparently the reason being that as there have been software upgrades over the years they have taken up more and more memory leaving less for buffering the data.

Sonos proposed solution is to replace the Connect Amp with the newer Amp system!

When I asked how much memory the CA has versus the Amp I couldn’t get an answer plus I can’t find this information on the data sheet!

Anyone have any comments on what Sonos are saying is the problem and the suggested solution which as I have 4 CA’s is an expensive solution?

I did suggest maybe downgrading the software to an earlier version that doesn’t take up as much memory as I don’t want any extra features they may have added as all I do on the system is listen to BBC Sounds but was told this wouldn’t work.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sounds like the memory issue with older kit eg Connect:Amps, described in other threads, eg here.. 

Would be good if the new update does finally fix it. Time will tell.

Badge

Your reply actually proves the point that they did attempt to phase out…in my view what they’re currently doing is essentially a way to force you to upgrade. 
I’m not inclined to spend another 5K$ to upgrade just to have them pull the same in 1 or 2 years.

believe new update just dropped that appears to address this.  YMMV.

Can I ask where you got the information from that it addresses this issue? I applied an update last week that unfortunately hasn’t improved anything. Thanks. 
Adam 

Just curious if you’ve performed a network refresh, with the possibility of duplicate IP addresses somewhere, or did I miss a post that said all these devices have reserved IP addresses in your router?

It’s not uncommon for people (like me!) to put simple duplicate IP addresses in the same bucket as wifi interference , even though it clearly isn’t. It can affect any network, unwired or wired. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still at version 15.11 here in the UK which dropped in December.  No other updates available this side of the pond! 

Andrew 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your reply actually proves the point that they did attempt to phase out…in my view what they’re currently doing is essentially a way to force you to upgrade. 
I’m not inclined to spend another 5K$ to upgrade just to have them pull the same in 1 or 2 years.

Sonos screwed up massively releasing this firmware. But IMO this more Hanlon’s razor, not a diabolical attempt to get people to upgrade. 

Still at version 15.11 here in the UK which dropped in December.  No other updates available this side of the pond! 

Andrew 

That’s what I see too… no update here in the UK so far.

ln my opinion there is a big difference between sunsetting support for a product and pushing a firmware that renders a product unusable. All I expect in a product of this nature is to be able to continue to use it as advertised. I have no delusions of an electronic product that is "supported"  indefinitely. However I do expect it to function as advertised until the hardware breaks down and fails  What I feel SONOS has done here is render a perfectly working device (less then five years old I might add) unusable and I don't believe for a second that they were unaware of this issue before pushing the firmware that borked the same products they planned on bricking

https://fortune.com/2020/01/23/sonos-apologizes-updates-speakers/

and this is where I have a problem it's a move out of the old Apple iphone playbook and I understand that works for some. I just didn't anticipate it coming from SONOS. Live and learn I guess?!?! 

Coming late to this discussion, I've run S1 app without ever upgrading to S2 as I have an older connect. I've a mesh WiFi running and it's definitely the connect that's the issue, no other issues with a selection of play ones, a play 3 and playbar. 30% discount to me isn't acceptable as it's a design issue on the connect and if it's memory related the S1 app/software should reflect this. All I want is access to Plex, Sonos radio and a podcast app. Sonos should fix this as it was never an issue previously.

Andrew 

That’s what I see too… no update here in the UK so far.

That’ correct but Sonos do issue further builds under the main update the most recent was last Wednesday I believe when mine went from version 76.2-47270 up to v.76.2-49050, this is what I was asking on my original comment, if anyone knew if the release notes are published for these ‘sub’ updates?

I think you’ve seen all you’re going to from Sonos. They’ve seen the issue, and are working on it. The forum moderators aren’t allowed to give any more information, and likely don’t know any more information.

Sonos may as well save some money and replace all the moderators by AI Bots, in that case; in any event the large majority of solutions here are given by Sonos users.

In this case, the moderator probably went out on a limb and said, a couple of months ago, that this issue is getting the “highest priority” in Sonos just now. For what that is worth, then.

My device only works for less than 24 hours after power down. It is quite annoying to power down every time before you want to turn the Music on. The Connect amp has also become slower and slower through the app. Next upgrade will be Bose or Bluesound. Sonos seems to be a product of low quality, which might be the case also for bluesound, were Bose has been on the semi high end for years.

Badge +3

Ok latest is I powered down 3 of my 4 units and just had the one I use most running hard wired to the router through my switch and it still gave dropouts so I sent 2 diagnostics to Sonos and they said :

------------------

Thanks, so on this one in specific I can see the audio interruptions are caused because the product basically is old, and it is reaching its capabilities, there are some things that can be done to try to reduce the impact of this, but if it continues this product will need to be replaced with the upgrade program.

-------------------

I am being advised to replace any affected units with the Sonos Amp which can be costly.

Would you agree Ken with this assessment, the units are 6 years old and have been constantly powered for all that time so I agree the components may have aged and cause hardware problems but I would have hoped for at least a 10 year life span.

Coming late to this discussion, I've run S1 app without ever upgrading to S2 as I have an older connect. I've a mesh WiFi running and it's definitely the connect that's the issue, no other issues with a selection of play ones, a play 3 and playbar. 30% discount to me isn't acceptable as it's a design issue on the connect and if it's memory related the S1 app/software should reflect this. All I want is access to Plex, Sonos radio and a podcast app. Sonos should fix this as it was never an issue previously.

Up until this point I had no idea that running with S1 is also an issue, going on information from other discussions downgrading was a sure fire way to stop the drop outs. Incidentally my Move gen1 started dropping out the other day at the same time as my connect amps, I guess this will just go on and on with Sonos denying any responsibility, they have now asked me to call them to go through some live troubleshooting! Not holding my hopes up! 

Don't hold your breath with live support their knowledge is likely less than yours. Changed my WiFi recently and lost the S1 app, call abandoned after 1 hour with NO solution from their side. I fixed it myself by renaming the network and starting again. Sonos once had this market, but now they most definitely are also rans.