Skip to main content
Answered

Connect Amp keeps dropping out audio

• 19 September 2023
  • 105 replies

Hi I have 4 Connect Amps that have been working fine for some years but just recently they are dropping the Audio for a few seconds which is very annoying. I have spoken to Sonos Support on a few occasions and done everything they have suggested to fix this which they say is WiFi Interference such as switching channels etc but still have problems. This happens on any music source but I have noticed when the speakers go silent the sound levels are still going up and down on the app as if its playing the audio in other words not muted, not sure if this helps identify the problem. I am getting to the point now where soon these will be removed as they just aren't worth the hassle. I have seen a few threads where people have had the same problem but the only answers I have seen are contact Sonos Support.

Has anyone had this problem and got a viable solution??????

Some posts suggest an issue with S2 being introduced so does anyone know if this is a problem??

I don’t think I’m willing to pay for a bunch of new Sonos equipment with a 15% discount when I may have to do this all over again in a few years. I’m considering what alternatives are out there.  Thanks. 

Part of the issue is that people liken Sonos gear to traditional HIFI components, which can last many decades with reasonable care.

However they are more like network devices.  In that respect they can become obsolete due to using outdated protocols or due to being unable to support newer firmwares.   I would compare them to PCs, phones or tablets and it’s likely that the Connect Amps are by far the oldest things on your network.  They really are generations apart in IT terms from the newer Sonos gear so I think one has to factor in upgrades when buying Sonos, just as you do when buying computer, phones and tablets.  It’s just the ‘baked-in’ nature of IT. 
For my part my Connect:Amps were 10yrs+ old and were becoming too unreliable.  The newer amps I replaced them with have no such issues.  

Are you sure they were 10 years old? The s2 compatible connect amps were released in 2016ish and Sonos sold them until 2019 and as refurbs into 2020. I think owners should expect more than this from Sonos. 

I have the same problem as the OP. After a lot of testing and trial and error I’ve concluded that the drop out problem on my connect:amp only occurs when it is wired to the network. This is very counterintuitive, but I reproduced this with several completely separate networks and the behavior is consistent. So for now I have changed my connect:amp connection to wireless only (and unplugged the cable), my other sonos devices are still connected via cable with no issues. Annoying since all was fine without issues for years before this suddenly started. 

I have the same problem as the OP. After a lot of testing and trial and error I’ve concluded that the drop out problem on my connect:amp only occurs when it is wired to the network. This is very counterintuitive, but I reproduced this with several completely separate networks and the behavior is consistent. So for now I have changed my connect:amp connection to wireless only (and unplugged the cable), my other sonos devices are still connected via cable with no issues. Annoying since all was fine without issues for years before this suddenly started. 

I’ve tried it with them wired and wireless. Both fail.

I think you’ve seen all you’re going to from Sonos. They’ve seen the issue, and are working on it. The forum moderators aren’t allowed to give any more information, and likely don’t know any more information. They seem to find out what is in a new software release at the same time we do. If you couldperhaps get into a beta, and that particular beta was working on that issue, you might have advance knowledge…but then would be beholden to the NDA not to discuss what you know. And that’s even if there was a beta that involved that particular bug. 

There isn’t much we can do, beyond sending them diagnostics, and calling in to make sure they are passed on to the engineers to look at. We have to wait, beyond that, to even see if it is fixable. Since we don’t know the true nature of the issue, we can only make assumptions. Sonos’ policies won’t allow them to tell us. 

From personal experience with bugs in video games, they’re both hard to figure out, and resolve. Being able to include our customers in that process was impossible, and we would patch our game just as soon as we could, without notification time. Our forum moderators were never aware, from moment to moment, where the issue’s status was, and consequently were instructed not to discuss it…especially timing of any potential fixes. We often ‘fixed’ bugs on one engineers machine, but it wouldn’t stand the test across the QA machines, so any timing discussion would have been premature.

It is frustrating, certainly, but there isn’t much we can do, as customers, beyond provide Sonos hard data so that they can reproduce the issue, and hope for a quick fix. 

Five months later and how is that working for you? ;-)