"Sorry, something went wrong" response from ERA-100 using Alexa voice service

• 19 December 2023
  • 68 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Over the past couple or months or so, I have been experiencing a response along the lines “Sorry, something went wrong” from an ERA-100 device in bedroom, with the first command. The second command works fine. I have a ticket open with Sonos Support, unfortunately, they are just asking me to restart devices, re-install skill, move devices, change WiFi channels etc, and not looking at the diagnostics I have been sending them.

I have found out today, that others may be experiencing similar issues, here is an example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/18bgxhx/long_time_user_with_a_new_problem_alexa/

I also see this thread, that maybe related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/170fit6/fyi_alexa_still_doesnt_work_properly_on_era_100/

Which suggests Sonos are aware of the issue?

68 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This sounds more like a network issue, please see my post 

Userlevel 7

Hi

That response is due to a network issue. Alexa is an internet based service that is accessible via Sonos. The fact that you are getting a response states that the Sonos voice enabled product is functioning as it should. 

Over the past couple or months or so, I have been experiencing a response along the lines “Sorry, something went wrong” from an ERA-100 device in bedroom, with the first command. The second command works fine. I have a ticket open with Sonos Support, unfortunately, they are just asking me to restart devices, re-install skill, move devices, change WiFi channels etc, and not looking at the diagnostics I have been sending them.

I have found out today, that others may be experiencing similar issues, here is an example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/18bgxhx/long_time_user_with_a_new_problem_alexa/

I also see this thread, that maybe related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/170fit6/fyi_alexa_still_doesnt_work_properly_on_era_100/

Which suggests Sonos are aware of the issue?

The second Reddit link in your post is a different issue and relates to "enabling" an Amazon Alexa Group. If you’re in the UK/European area its apparantly not an issue there for enabling a group - it’s mostly been a couple of users in Canada and US that have encountered the issue but it’s still a different issue to the one you’ve described.

Out of curiosity though, can you perhaps state what the SNR level is for your Era 100 speaker. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

… just to also state I’ve not seen many other reports of the issue mentioned here in the community. It may help if you can describe your network setup in a little more detail including make/model of router, channels and channel-width in use etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Thanks for prompt replies 😀

I don’t see any network issues. The AP reports

Channel36 (5 GHz, 80 MHz)

Signal -58 dBm

AP/Client Signal Balance Good

Standard WiFi 6

MIMO Configuration2x2

Rx Rate 864 Mbps

Tx Rate 1.20 Gbps

Sonos App says SNR is 32dB

No music dropouts.

No issues with ping.

No issues with other Amazon echo devices in household.

Here is the sequence of events:

06:00 - Sonos Alarm BBC Sounds - this works flawlessly.

06:30 - “Alexa, stop music” - this works flawlessly

06:31 - “Alexa, what is the temperature” - “Sorry, something went wrong”

06:31 - “Alexa, what is the temperature” - “The temperature is …..”

The “Sorry, something went wrong” happens most days on the first command after the stop music command.

Just to rule out network issues move the speaker to a place where you get an SNR level of 45 dB or higher but still set at least one metre away from another wireless or Bluetooth device and see if the issue still occurs.

It might perhaps be the router/modem is going into some kind of power-saving mode too overnight, so check it’s settings and the user manual.

Userlevel 7

Hi

This may or may not be your issue but the latter suggestion may help in the way you phrase your command to Alexa regarding temperature.

Background

I have a WiFi enabled Dyson that heats, cool and refreshes the air. I took if off-line some time ago (I can’t remember why); but long story short, If I ask Alexa on any of my Sonos speakers “Alexa what's the temperature” the response is “Dyson isn’t responding check it’s network connection”.  

Point being...if you have a similar device that could be the root of your issue.

Possible Solution on how to ask Alexa for current temperature

As a rule when I want to know the temperature (anywhere in the world) I say “Alexa what’s the temperature in Name of City” and the response is “Right now in Name of City it’s X degrees”. 

Another way I ask for temperature is to say “Alexa what’s the temperature outside and Alexa will default to my location

Reviewing your profile your location is “Planet Earth” you can ask_ “Alexa what’s the temperature on Planet Earth” and you’ll get a wealth of information. However, I suggest you just ask for the temperature in your city or approximate location. 😊

One last point...make sure your profile in the Alexa app is precise for your location and not Planet Earth. Don’t worry your whereabouts in the Alexa app will not be visible to the community 😂

Happy Holidays ⛄

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi

This may or may not be your issue but the latter suggestion may help in the way you phrase your command to Alexa regarding temperature.

Background

I have a WiFi enabled Dyson that heats, cool and refreshes the air. I took if off-line some time ago (I can’t remember why); but long story short, If I ask Alexa on any of my Sonos speakers “Alexa what's the temperature” the response is “Dyson isn’t responding check it’s network connection”.  

Point being...if you have a similar device that could be the root of your issue.

Possible Solution on how to ask Alexa for current temperature

As a rule when I want to know the temperature (anywhere in the world) I say “Alexa what’s the temperature in Name of City” and the response is “Right now in Name of City it’s X degrees”. 

Another way I ask for temperature is to say “Alexa what’s the temperature outside and Alexa will default to my location

Reviewing your profile your location is “Planet Earth” you can ask_ “Alexa what’s the temperature on Planet Earth” and you’ll get a wealth of information. However, I suggest you just ask for the temperature in your city or approximate location. 😊

One last point...make sure your profile in the Alexa app is precise for your location and not Planet Earth. Don’t worry your whereabouts in the Alexa app will not be visible to the community 😂

Happy Holidays ⛄

Alexa knows exactly where I live it has my postcode. I’m assuming Alexa is ignoring the location in my Sonos forum profile 😀

The issue ‘feels’ like some of the Alexa software services/process in the ERA-100 are sleeping to conserve power, and sometimes don’t wake up in in time to respond to first command in morning.

Alexa knows exactly where I live it has my postcode. I’m assuming Alexa is ignoring the location in my Sonos forum profile 😀

The issue ‘feels’ like some of the Alexa software services/process in the ERA-100 are sleeping to conserve power, and sometimes don’t wake up in in time to respond to first command in morning.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed the issue myself, but now you’ve highlighted the matter, I will keep a listen out for this, but that said, my Era 100s here are bonded to a Sonos Ray, but both surrounds have Alexa installed and SVC aswell. I’ve been out shopping for some of the day and Alexa worked okay when we got Home, but if I do think/remember, I will try it again first thing in the morning. I’ve not seen this issue reported previously here in the community, but as I say I will give it a try and if I do see the same issue, I will report back here. 

Trouble is (I guess) you only get one go at this first thing in the morning, so it’s not something I’ve personally noticed, or can test here easily. I presume you do only see this once a day🤔?

Userlevel 7

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed the issue myself, but now you’ve highlighted the matter, I will keep a listen out for this, but that said, my Era 100s here are bonded to a Sonos Ray, but both surrounds have Alexa installed and SVC aswell. I’ve been out shopping for some of the day and Alexa worked okay when we got Home, but if I do think/remember, I will try it again first thing in the morning. I’ve not seen this issue reported previously here in the community, but as I say I will give it a try and if I do see the same issue, I will report back here. 

Trouble is (I guess) you only get one go at this first thing in the morning, so it’s not something I’ve personally noticed, or can test here easily. I presume you do only see this once a day🤔?

Can’t say I’ve heard or experienced what you are referring to either (regarding Era100 being lazy to wake 😊). I have a stereo pair of Era 100’s with sub mini in my garage. I may not ask them to play music for days on end. However; as far back as I can recall, they respond on first ask.  I’ll keep an eye on this behavior going forward as anything is possible. I probably won’t report back unless its deemed a consistent behavior as Alexa may not understand on first ask for any number of reasons the least not being my faulty pronunciation!😂

Damn..!! …I forgot to test this, this morning. Will try again tomorrow. (Sorry🙏).

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I don’t have issue asking ERA-100 for music, or more specifically to stop music. The ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ response is for a non music request, eg ‘Alexa, what is the temperature’.

I don’t think this issue is specific to morning, its just when I use voice commands most, to stop Sonos Alarm, get weather etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I don’t have issue asking ERA-100 for music, or more specifically to stop music. The ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ response is for a non music request, eg ‘Alexa, what is the temperature’.

I don’t think this issue is specific to morning, its just when I use voice commands most, to stop Sonos Alarm, get weather etc.

I still think this is most likely a Network issue.  Did you follow the steps in my first post?  (Your AP, won’t identify this issue, as explained in my article)

I use Alexa on Era 100’s lots throughout the day - I definitely don’t see the same issue. I thought this was an early morning thing,after a period of inactivity? If I ask the time, date, weather and general questions - I’m not seeing the issue. See attached - a quick test a few moments ago.

I think it must be an intermittent local network issue of some kind too, as @UKMedia suggests. As mentioned earlier, maybe reposition the Era 100 in a place so as to increase its SNR level and see if that solves things for you. Get the level to at least 45dB, or higher.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Re network, all Sonos & Amazon devices have reserved DHCP address. SNR Level is 38-40dB, which is ‘good’. I do have a Play One in another room, I may swap them, if I get time.

@Ken_Griffiths  What is interesting, the ‘Alexa, stop’ ‘Alexa, play” commands work fine on my ERA-100 but don’t appear in the Alexa App, so they must be slightly different, eg local commands not using Alexa cloud service? Do you see same?

Re network, all Sonos & Amazon devices have reserved DHCP address. SNR Level is 38-40dB, which is ‘good’. I do have a Play One in another room, I may swap them, if I get time.

@Ken_Griffiths  What is interesting, the ‘Alexa, stop’ ‘Alexa, play” commands work fine on my ERA-100 but don’t appear in the Alexa App, so they must be slightly different, eg local commands not using Alexa cloud service? Do you see same?

No they show up in my activity list …see attached.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

OK, “Alexa, stop” and “Alexa, play” don’t appear in “Activity” but they do appear in “Voice”, as per your screenshot.

OK, “Alexa, stop” and “Alexa, play” don’t appear in “Activity” but they do appear in “Voice”, as per your screenshot.

Yes, that’s where I see the Sonos activity - see attached. I think the main activity screen relates more to asking Amazon Alexa things like the weather and other non-music related things.

Userlevel 2

I thought I’d chip in to say I’m experiencing exactly this. I have 3 Sonos Ones, a Move, a Roam and a few Amazon Echo devices. 

Over the last 2 or 3 months, I’ve experienced an issue where the first voice “Alexa” command issued to a Sonos elicits a “something went wrong” response. If I immediately repeat the command, it works. This only occurs if the Sonos hasn’t been used for a few hours.

There is no connectivity issue. I can use the app to access an Amazon playlist etc with no problem. I can also use voice to stream from other services without this issue (eg. BBC sounds). There’s no issue using the Echo devices.

It does feel as if the Alexa capability has started sleeping, and can’t wake fast enough to process the first command. And this is a fairly recent problem, which makes me wonder if it’s been triggered by an update (maybe to reduce standby power usage?). 

I’ve done all the usual things - rebooted the Sonos, the router, disabled and re-enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and the Amazon service in the Sonos app. I’ve looked at the signal strength for each Sonos and it’s fine. In any case, I stream music off a NAS with no issues, so the Sonos network is robust enough for that.

I am left suspecting some kind of “sleep” issue related to an update at either Sonos or Amazon, but I can’t be certain. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @cr

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P  Is the the @ mention meant for me?

I have a case open with Sonos Support already, since November. Unfortunately they have not been able to identify any cause from the multiple diagnostics I have sent, with detailed step by step commands to reproduce.

Maybe @RLB can create a diagnostic a few minutes after the issue, and the cases can be linked for a senior support agent to review? 

My current thoughts it could be specific when there are multiple different Alexa enabled devices in a household, Sonos and Amazon devices.

Moderator Note: Removed case number as private information. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m curious - why is a Sonos support case number considered ‘private’ but a Sonos diagnostic isn’t?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

@Corry P  Is the the @ mention meant for me?

Yes, sorry. I guess I wasn’t paying attention.

I have a case open with Sonos Support already, since November. Unfortunately they have not been able to identify any cause from the multiple diagnostics I have sent, with detailed step by step commands to reproduce.

Maybe @RLB can create a diagnostic a few minutes after the issue, and the cases can be linked for a senior support agent to review? 

There isn’t a way to connect cases of different users, but I do suggest you get back in touch - if L1 agents are unable to solve the issue, they will escalate your case to L2.

My current thoughts it could be specific when there are multiple different Alexa enabled devices in a household, Sonos and Amazon devices.

I don’t see this as being the likely issue. Sometimes, the tokens that get exchanged between a speaker, the voice assistant service it uses and the music service being requested can get corrupted. The fix is to remove all instances of Alexa from Sonos, disable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app and to deregister Sonos devices from the Amazon account, then add Alexa back to the Sonos system. I recommend contacting our support team for guidance through this process, but if you are comfortable with both apps, it shouldn’t prove too difficult.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

A case number can be used as one point of identification when calling in, whereas a diagnostic, although it can be used in the same way, typically is not (diagnostic numbers are generally asked for after the customer has been identified).

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Corry P If you read the first comment, you will see I have already opened a case, they have multiple diagnostics of the issue occurring and the steps I followed to reproduce 😀

Alexa has been removed and re-added, and reported bask to Sonos support. These are the steps I followed about 3 weeks ago, on instruction from Sonos Support:

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
2. Tap on the More menu in the bottom right.
3. Tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill
4. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device  
5. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice and select Amazon Alexa under voice. Select the voice-enabled product from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
6. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app, and Amazon.com in your mobile browser. This ensures Alexa uses the correct Amazon account.
7. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so. 
8. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command. For more information, please click 
here

Further diagnostics sent back after completing the above with issue still happening.

There is no issue with music service, or Alexa on Sonos when used to ‘stop’ the music services.

The issue is the first command that requires some processing on Amazon servers, such as ‘what is the temperature’.

I am seeing same symptoms as a few on Reddit as per the links, and it seems @RLB

As this issue is happening to a few others, I thought useful to try and link them up some how. One of the common scenarios is multiple different generation Alexa devices both Sonos and Amazon in the home.

HTH!