"Sorry, something went wrong" response from ERA-100 using Alexa voice service

• 19 December 2023
  • 68 replies

Show first post

68 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

You’ve tried already then, okay. Given the nature of the issue, I can only recommend you get back in touch so that your case can be escalated to a higher level.

Hello! I just wanted to jump in here to say that im having the exact same issue as @craigski and @RLB .

I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps here and while disabling/re-enabling the skill seems to work for a bit, anytime Alexa is not used for a while it reverts back to the “sorry something went wrong” error.

I am experiencing this issue on a Sonos One and although I now have an Echo Pop that I just connected this week, I was experiencing this issue before that when my Sonos One was my only smart speaker on the house.

I’m going to file a ticket with support as I haven’t done that yet, but I’m following along on this thread. Thanks!

I also have the same issue. 

So, what happened when you got in touch with Sonos Support , as suggested by the Sonos Rep above?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Today ticket has now been escalated in Sonos, originally reported in November.

The intermittent ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ issue has now morphed into/masked by the wake up issue discussed on the other thread:

I am not sure if they are somehow related, and the wake up issue seemed to have started after I followed the steps advised by Sonos to remove/readd Alexa posted earlier in this thread.

Userlevel 1

I’m having the exact same issue for a few months now. All of my Sonos devices react this way (One, Beam, and Arc). We have excellent WiFi coverage in an small area and we also have a mixed environment where some Alexa devices are Amazon branded Show devices not Sonos devices.

The Amazon Devices never fail.

The Sonos devices intermittently will say “Sorry, something went wrong.”, and issuing the same request to the same device will succeed in short succession. (Within seconds.)

There’s clearly something going on with the Alexa voice assistant on Sonos, or something with the devices themselves.

Same issue here on sonos one. Started approximately 2 months ago. First command in the morning results in "sorry something went wrong". Repeating the same command immediately after always works fine.

Issue never occurred before. Network, etc... all good.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I've been experiencing this “something went wrong” first thing every morning for several weeks now. My Sonos Ones and routers are all wired by Ethernet, so I can rule out WiFi interference.

The fact it usually occurs first thing each day but is usually better immediately thereafter suggests something may have gone into sleep mode overnight. But I don't know if it's the Sonos Ones, my TP-Link network switches, my BT broadband router, or something beyond my property.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m still seeing this specific issue, and I don’t have any of the network devices you list. I am also experiencing the wakeup issue discussed here, that has got worse over past weeks:

I’m suspecting its other Alexa capable/enabled (non Sonos) devices (eg Echo, FireTV, SmartTV, etc) on the network that are affecting these issues, that have had recent update(s) rolled out by Amazon or others.

@AjTrek1 and others suggested it could be a geographical location issue, and I thought they were on to something, eg ‘what is the temperature’ is that central heating or outside, so Alexa didn’t know how to respond. I also have same issue with ‘Alexa, what is two plus two’, first command in morning often fails, subsequent commands are OK, so I have discounted any ambiguity with commands.

If you have the time, best thing you can do is log a support case with Sonos.

I’m encountering the same issue with multiple Era 100 speakers I bought in November 2024.

Always happens the first request I make after time has lapse from the last request. Speakers have excellent network signal. Must be something software based on Sonos side that’s causing the poor experience.

Ultimately, I’m impressed with the speakers but not the software. For the price, Sonos software should be much more polished but that’s not the case. Wish Sonos would do better. First 2 months using their products and I’m reasonably happy if I ignore the voice assistant and intermittent Spotify streaming issues.

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

I'm getting the same on my Sonos 1s. I've a few of them dotted around the house. "Alexa, make an announcement" "Sorry, something went wrong" "Alexa, make an announcement" "What's the announcement?"....

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Corry P I see you updated the other Alexa thread, are the engineers also working on this issue ‘Sorry, something went wrong’, or do you still need more diagnostics?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

That is a good question. My documentation for the issue referred to on the thread linked below does not include descriptions of the “Sorry, something went wrong” error message.

While I can’t say that they are the same issue, the Alexa behaviour seen on Era 100 speakers is somewhat unusual - it would not surprise me at all to hear that these different issue manifestations were linked by the same cause. I’ve consulted a colleague and he thinks the same.

Certainly, if we announce on the other thread that a fix has been implemented and you still see the issue described here, you should get back in touch, but I have a feeling they will both be fixed together.

In short, it’s probably best to wait for the fix rather than to waste more of your time trying to troubleshoot. I’ll tag this thread with the same tracking code for the issue described on the other thread so that both these threads will be updated when a fix is made available.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

but I have a feeling they will both be fixed together.

I hope this helps.

Your positive feeling does help, thank you. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

Your positive feeling does help, thank you. 😀

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be more concrete! (I can’t tell if you were being sarcastic or not 😁)

Same exact issue here on my Sonos One.  First Alexa gets “sorry something went wrong”, second ask and Alexa works fine.  EVERY TIME!

Same exact issue here on my Sonos One.  First Alexa gets “sorry something went wrong”, second ask and Alexa works fine.  EVERY TIME!

I’m not (yet) personally convinced that this is the same issue as Alexa intermittently not listening on the Era 100 because this has been reported in the past as quite a well known issue, even with Amazons own Echo devices and is often caused by a temporary loss to Amazon servers.

It can be caused by the router sleeping or powering down overnight, or some network power-saving in general. This link explains the issue in far more detail…

https://www.funktionalhome.com/alexa-sorry-something-went-wrong/

Userlevel 7

I’m not (yet) personally convinced that this is the same issue as Alexa intermittently not listening on the Era 100 because this has been reported in the past as quite a well known issue, even with Amazons own Echo devices and is often caused by a temporary loss to Amazon servers.

It can be caused by the router sleeping or powering down overnight, or some network power-saving in general. This link explains the issue in far more detail…

https://www.funktionalhome.com/alexa-sorry-something-went-wrong/

I’m not convinced that the current “sorry something went wrong” error is anything other than an Alexa bug that needs fixed between Sonos/Amazon.

I’m not convinced that the “sorry something went wrong” is anything other than an Alexa bug that needs fixed between Sonos/Amazon.

It’s possible, but this ’clearly’ also occurs just on Amazon Alexa Echo products too, as that link explains, inferring it’s perhaps more an Amazon issue and a time-out with their local server.

What I don’t understand is why it’s only some devices and often not all products in the same Household.🤔 Nor does it seem to affect everyone.

Either way, I’m still thinking it’s not the same issue as that seen on the Era-100, where it’s mic intermittently stops listening and then works okay at anytime during the day/night.

I’m fairly sure the ‘mic issue’ may turn out to be gremlins on the Sonos side. In this reported instance aswell, it is a Sonos One Alexa assistant.

I have the Era 100 issue and have gone to Sonos customer support with that issue and provided the data gathered, but I’m not able to reproduce the “sorry, something went wrong” issue on any devices here, no matter if I leave the speaker sat idle for days… it’s as though something is sleeping, or timing-out a connection to the local Amazon server, I suspect. Anyhow, that’s why I personally think the two issues are ‘perhaps’ unrelated.

Userlevel 7

I’m not convinced that the “sorry something went wrong” is anything other than an Alexa bug that needs fixed between Sonos/Amazon.

It’s possible, but this ’clearly’ also occurs just on Amazon Alexa Echo products too, as that link explains, inferring it’s perhaps more an Amazon issue and a time-out with their local server.

What I don’t understand is why it’s only some devices and often not all products in the same Household.🤔 Nor does it seem to affect everyone.

Either way, I’m still thinking it’s not the same issue as that seen on the Era-100, where it’s mic intermittently stops listening and then works okay at anytime during the day/night.

I’m fairly sure the ‘mic issue’ may turn out to be gremlins on the Sonos side. In this reported instance aswell, it is a Sonos One Alexa assistant.

I have the Era 100 issue and have gone to Sonos customer support with that issue and provided the data gathered, but I’m not able to reproduce the “sorry, something went wrong” issue on any devices here, no matter if I leave the speaker sat idle for days… it’s as though something is sleeping, or timing-out a connection to the local Amazon server, I suspect. Anyhow, that’s why I personally think the two issues are ‘perhaps’ unrelated.

I don’t dispute the error can also occur on Echo products and that link you provided may help them. However, for those experiencing this issue on Sonos devices, when all other aspects of the Sonos system are working correctly, I don’t believe there is anything the user can currently do to resolve the issue.

I also don’t believe the two issues are related but two separate bugs in the Sonos/Alexa integration. If I’m not mistaken, you did not have the mic issue with the Era 100 until you removed and re-installed Alexa on the device. That to me implies the issue is within the current firmware when Alexa is installed on the Era 100. Maybe if you removed an re-installed Alexa on your other Sonos devices, you would then experience the “sorry something went wrong” error.

I have given Sonos diagnostics for the “sorry something went wrong” issue and they have confirmed it is a known issue. I therefore await a fix.

@Mr. T, I’ve just installed Alexa to a Roam called ‘voyager’ (it’s under a different Sonos account and a brand new Sonos Household) and I will leave it in standby on it’s Qi charger for a day, or two.

I have been looking out for Alexa saying these words too, as that was the title of this thread by @craigski I’ve attached a couple of screenshots to show that I’ve started with a new Sonos S2 system to test this as I know it’s not happening with my account, but I’ve put this onto my Wife’s Amazon account.

I will report back what I see/hear.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

II have given Sonos diagnostics for the “sorry something went wrong” issue and they have confirmed it is a known issue. I therefore await a fix.

The latest update from this week that I have from Sonos support for my case opened in November 2023:

“Please be assured that we are fully aware of the issue and will notify you as soon as a final solution is found.”

Userlevel 2

Based on @Corry P’s advice above I am not bothering to problem-solve this at the moment and I haven’t created a support ticket for the same reason. However, I wanted to add my voice to the list…

When I ask Alexa something she replies with “Sorry, something went wrong” in the first instance and then it works for subsequent requests just fine. Then after a short period, we go back to step one where something goes wrong and I have to try a second time.

This happens on my (ethernet) Arc and all my (WiFi) Ones. I have no other issues with my Sonos system and have no noticeable network problems elsewhere.

Further to my last post in this thread, I left the Roam (with Alexa installed) called ‘Voyager’ on its charger and out the way for 48 hours without any use, setup on a new account with my Wife’s Amazon Alexa account, but on testing today and asking for the local weather, Alexa worked first time.

I’ve messaged some additional info. to @Mr. T to show some of my testing. I’ve also tested this on Move and Beam devices under my own account credentials, but I’m still unable to reproduce the ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ issue on any of the Sonos/Alexa devices here. 

I’m not sure why some users see this issue and others, like me, with multiple Alexa devices, never see it.

It’s clearly though a problem for some, even with Amazon’s own echo products too, as can be seen from a general search online.