Answered

Sonos One saying it is offline and unable to use voice control

Show first post

67 replies

Badge

Blacknick, Can you post the link to release notes so I can use it to resolve the issue as well, or will it resolve itself as I have mine set to auto update?

Badge

Auto update on the speaker(even though it hasn’t been able to do this for sometime, but obviously did overnight last night! )

Userlevel 1

Blacknick, Can you post the link to release notes so I can use it to resolve the issue as well, or will it resolve itself as I have mine set to auto update?

Well... They sent me the link to the release notes but they were S2 release notes so I asked for the link to the S1 release notes and was told that they don't have them…

Badge

Hmmm…  well thats it for now then.  I’ll see things with a bit more clarity and patience in the morning.  Goodnight and thanks for the help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m informed known problem introduced 17 hours ago by SONOS … engineers working a fix … don’t upgrade S1 systems to Version: 11.14 (build 572150280) or you’ll get the problem.

Now who is going to wake me up in the morning ..no ALEXA won’t :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @samsaints  

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

To confirm what @keith_13 said, we are aware of an issue affecting functionality of Alexa on S1 Sonos systems. We are investigating, but do not have an ETA for a resolution.

You can, however, cease troubleshooting - nothing you can do will help.

We will post here when there is an update.

Badge

My “Move” and “Beam” both updated this week and neither are responding to Alexa.  I’m also using S1 as I have an older device on my setup.

@blacknick can you post the link for the release notes please, so I can follow too?

Thanks, David

I am on Sonos S1
Same here - Alexa Services show offline.

Userlevel 1

My “Move” and “Beam” both updated this week and neither are responding to Alexa.  I’m also using S1 as I have an older device on my setup.

@blacknick can you post the link for the release notes please, so I can follow too?

Thanks, David

@dmparnell The support person I chatted with said there was only a link for the S2 release notes.  Based on the post from @Corry P I think you just need to continue monitoring this thread for an update.

Userlevel 1

I’ve got this problem too. Why can’t we just downgrade the firmware, surely it can be rolled back while they troubleshoot the issue? It’s not OK to just say ‘oh yeah we broke it, it won’t work until we fix it at some unknown point in the future’ even if user downgrade isn’t an option, at least push out the last good version as a new release. 

Badge

I can relay this affects more people.

Overnight, on the 13th of March, a friend’s Sonos ONE setup was affected. At the end of the night on the 13th one of the Sonos ONE’s listened to a command to the inbuilt Alexa to turn the lights off, on the morning of the 14th it would not do anything - no acknowledgement beep from the speaker or any reaction to voice commands at all.

No changes were made overnight, obviously.

In the Alexa app it clearly states that the device(s) are offline. There are two Sonos ONEs only in the system, both on S1. Both are now out of action. Re-enabling the Skill etc. - and other things - has been tried without success and in a way it is reassuring to know that Sonos themselves broke it and there is no action that we can take as users to get it back.

For the time-being my friend can control Sonos (to play and stop music etc.) by using Alexa on the phone - so saying: “alexa, play X in the Lounge” will work, the Lounge speaker springs into action… but I am told that “Lounge” needs to be specifically said because the phone is not aware of what room it’s in… whereas the Alexa within the speaker would be.

A real shame they didn’t seem do any comprehensive testing before releasing it to the wild, of course. I will follow this thread on my friend’s behalf.

Badge

As I said, the two Sonos ONEs are on S1. I don’t know why this was picked on initial installation.

I see that both:

• One (Gen 1)
  • One (Gen 2)

Are S2 compatible. I don’t know what Gen the ONEs are - but both are covered anyway - and there are only ONEs in the Sonos setup, nothing else at all… would moving them to S2 remove this problem at the same time?

The more I think about it, the more Sonos not having an ETA for something they broke, and could choose to revert in a day or two, seems more and more pathetic. Break your older stuff, so that folk are forced to use your newer stuff (even if it’s just the app/OS every little helps - and it’s a short step away from the revised messaging that “ONEs using S1 no longer support Alexa”, isn’t it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Hippogriff

Indeed updating your system to S2 will solve the current Alexa issue. S2 is the full supported Sonos system and I strongly recommend using it. 
Supporting S1 any longer even just for fixes will become more and more difficult in future. 

Badge

Thank you for the confirmation. I might recommend that route… after some time… I’d like it just to revert back to working soon, if that’s going to happen at all.

Why has the outage affecting Alexa voice control still not been sorted out. It has now been 2 days and not been resolved. It’s not good enough and I feel I have purchased a Sonos speaker that cannot now deliver what it says on the tin.

Badge

It looks like someone, somewhere has released a dodgy firmware / software update and fixing it is not as easy as flicking a switch, it might need to be a new release down to the devices managed by S1. The more pressing question was why on earth wasn’t something like this seemingly tested before release. It’s very shoddy and shines a bright light on how little Sonos care about their legacy stuff, and customers. As my Amazon stuff all works, and you can use Alexa on your phone to control your Alexa-enabled speakers, my finger is pointed clearly at Sonos.

Which is unusual, since all Sonos does is channel your voice command to an Amazon server for processing, and receives back a digital based command. There’s been no change to S1 from Sonos. 

Badge

Quite. The Sonos ONE isn’t even giving any indication that it is paying attention to the wake-word - it’s as if the microphone is switched off on the top (but it isn’t). I feel as though it should at least bing and say something like - “I’m having trouble right now” - but it’s like it’s dead, even though the Sonos software seems to be indicating that all is well (even though Alexa does say it’s offline). Clearly a disconnect.

I have just emailed the Sonos CEO and made a complaint that we have been sold equipment not fit for purpose. I have asked for a definite timeframe when it will be resolved.

If this cannot be fixed except by upgrading all the speakers to Gen 2 then I believe there is a trading standards case here.

Once I get a reply I will post on here.

Userlevel 1

@Hippogriff

Indeed updating your system to S2 will solve the current Alexa issue. S2 is the full supported Sonos system and I strongly recommend using it. 
Supporting S1 any longer even just for fixes will become more and more difficult in future. 

Except I’ve got about £10,000 worth of Gen1 only Sonos equipment that is perfectly fine, and built into my House (amp/Ceiling speakers mostly) I have no desire to spend £10,00 AGAIN for absolutley no advantage over my Gen 1 equipment. so S2 is not the answer for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Nick_4 

If you read and understand the whole thread, you will know that was an advice for those who use products on S1 that all are also S2 ready. Nobody talked about spending a lot of money to exchange speakers instead of waiting for a fix. 

Userlevel 1

@Nick_4

If you read and understand the whole thread, you will know that was an advice for those who use products on S1 that all are also S2 ready. Nobody talked about spending a lot of money to exchange speakers instead of waiting for a fix. 

I did , I have a few Sonos ones in the mix, which are s2 ready. I take your point - if that’s all your system comprises, fair enough, I’m sure I’m not alone having a ‘mixed estate’ though. 

Nobody spoke about spending a lot of money because people already have. If Sonos wish to charge high prices for their speakers then they should respect that people have spent hard earned cash purchasing them and at the very minimum should give a timeline as to when the issue will be resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

What is more disappointing… getting no timeline or getting one that can’t be hold? 
If they still are investigating the issue and don’t know exactly how to do a fix, how do they tell us how long it will take? No company will force itself to get a * storm. 
Yes, it’s a bug at the moment, but no system you spend a lot of money on will become trash of that bug. 
Time to leave the discussion I think… as from my side everything is said. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

For Sonos to say nothing is not the answer. All they need to do is reassure their customers that a fix will be found quickly. If you own a product and cannot maintain it then your reputation is shot. As to not knowing how long that will take is very poor. They are supposed to be experts in their field otherwise they should not be in business. They rely on people accepting the situation.