Answered

Sonos One saying it is offline and unable to use voice control

Badge

Hi all,

I have been digging into the forums here and on the web in general, and cant find a solution to this.  My Sonos One stopped responding to voice commands today.  I have tried all solutions that I could find, including deregistering & re-registering, unplugging,  rebooting my router, standing on my head while facing east…  well you get the idea.  Can anyone please help??? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 March 2024, 17:51

View original

67 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What service are you using for voice control?

Badge

Alexa, I cant seem to work out how to get sonos vc

Badge

it doesn’t give me that option

Badge

Tried this found on another post - no luck…

“Maybe try de-registering each of the Sonos components in the Alexa App, as there is both a ‘speaker’ component and an ‘Alexa’ component for each Sonos speaker (and fyi a TV component for a Sonos HT product). The Alexa component is often (but not always) embedded inside the speaker component in the Alexa App device list. When they are all removed - remove the voice assistant from your Sonos speaker and reboot it. Whilst it’s rebooting, remove the ‘Sonos Skill’ from the Alexa App.

Let your speaker(s) reconnect online and settle, post reboot …and then simply reinstall the Alexa voice assistant to the speaker via the Sonos App. This will auto-reinstall the ‘Sonos Skill’ in the Alexa App and then see if that fixes your issue”

Tried this found on another post - no luck…

“Maybe try de-registering each of the Sonos components in the Alexa App, as there is both a ‘speaker’ component and an ‘Alexa’ component for each Sonos speaker (and fyi a TV component for a Sonos HT product). The Alexa component is often (but not always) embedded inside the speaker component in the Alexa App device list. When they are all removed - remove the voice assistant from your Sonos speaker and reboot it. Whilst it’s rebooting, remove the ‘Sonos Skill’ from the Alexa App.

Let your speaker(s) reconnect online and settle, post reboot …and then simply reinstall the Alexa voice assistant to the speaker via the Sonos App. This will auto-reinstall the ‘Sonos Skill’ in the Alexa App and then see if that fixes your issue”

Did the Sonos Skill reinstall in the Amazon Alexa App? Have you checked it is present under ‘Your Skills’. Also, is the mic LED showing on the speaker? Perhaps try toggling the mic off/on on top of your speaker.

Badge

Yes skill enabled, and have tried toggling mic, still nothing

Badge

Close to giving up and buying a HomePod 

Close to giving up and buying a HomePod 

What’s the country setting showing in your online Sonos profile? See attached example.

Here is the link for you to perhaps check…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/myaccount/user/profile

Maybe post a screenshot of your Alexa devices and groups list and I’ll see if I can see anything obvious that perhaps is causing you the issue.

Badge

Was set to United States.  I’ve changed it to Australia 

see how that goes.  Should I reset again?

Badge

Sonos one and echo dot.  Echo dot working normally 

Your Sonos One mic is not ‘on’ in that photo.

Badge

It was booting up, it’s definitely on now

Badge

I unplugged it the turned it back on 

I unplugged it the turned it back on 

As you have now corrected your Country settings, I would perhaps remove Alexa from your device, also remove the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App and then add Alexa back to your speaker again via the Sonos App and see if that resolves the matter.🤞

Badge

Badge

Will do, I’ll let you know how it goes 

thanks for all your help and patience 👍

Userlevel 1

I’m having the exact same issue with all of my Sonos One devices.  Started yesterday and I’ve tried everything you say you have, with no success.  Extremely frustrating.  If I switch them to using the Google Voice Assistant then it works fine, so it appears to be an Alexa integration problem.  I upgraded the Sonos firmware yesterday so I suspect that did something to break it.  Did you also update your firmware recently?  I hope we can get some support from Sonos to get this resolved!

I’m having the exact same issue with all of my Sonos One devices.  Started yesterday and I’ve tried everything you say you have, with no success.  Extremely frustrating.  If I switch them to using the Google Voice Assistant then it works fine, so it appears to be an Alexa integration problem.  I upgraded the Sonos firmware yesterday so I suspect that did something to break it.  Did you also update your firmware recently?  I hope we can get some support from Sonos to get this resolved!

If you need Sonos Support, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Badge

I cant update as I’m using the sonos bridge(12 yrs old) and it is S1 not upgradeable to S2

Userlevel 1

I cant update as I’m using the sonos bridge(12 yrs old) and it is S1 not upgradeable to S2

I did not upgrade from S1 to S2, I’m also still using S1 due to an older Amp that can’t upgrade.  But, yesterday the app said there was an update to be applied to the speakers.

Userlevel 1

If you need Sonos Support, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Thanks, I am doing that

The Sonos services status page seems to say everything is working okay at the moment. See here…

https://status.sonos.com

Userlevel 1

This is the answer I just got from Support.  So….it does sound like the firmware update yesterday on S1 broke the Alexa integration and it will be down until a new update is released…

“From what I can see on my end, the system is running on the S1 firmware. At the moment there is an issue with Alexa on S1 that the Sonos team is investigating and they are working on a fix.”

“A fix should be released within a future update. I can provide you a link to the release notes to keep track of any updates that will resolve the issue:”

Userlevel 1

The Sonos services status page seems to say everything is working okay at the moment. See here…

https://status.sonos.com

I asked support why this says its operational even though there is a known issue:

“That link is for outages only. As the issue is not an outage, it is not displayed there.”

Ah well that explains why my Sonos One Alexa is working then, as I’m using the device on an S2 setup here.👍