Answered

Sonos has stopped streaming music from Amazon Echo Devices.

Badge
This issue is happening frequently.

The only workaround for this problem is to
1. Select new ROOM NAMES in the SONOS app
2. And then having the Echo device FORGET the SONOS device name,
3. Then having Alexa rediscover new devices.

This workaround appears to only work for a short time, then I must repeat the above process to get SONOS speakers to stream again.

I have tried just forgetting the SONOS device in the Alexa app, then discovering the devices again but that action had no impact on the problem. The only action that corrects the issue is changing the ROOM Names in the SONOS App

What are the changes occurring when the ROOM NAMES are updated in the SONOS app or in the Alexa Cloud services? What needs to occur to make these changes stick?

Doug
icon

Best answer by Doug_MI 23 March 2018, 22:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you check in Alexa App>smart home>devices and check that you don't have any duplicate devicenames?
Badge
No duplicate device names see attached.
Badge
The workaround outlined above is not lasting more than one streaming session. HELP PLEASE. This issue is getting old fast!

Doug G
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Doug

Please try the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post and let us know how you get on.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html#post16210022
Badge
I followed the above steps TWICE, with different results:

First Attempt: Followed steps as listed. This did NOT change the issue.

Second Attempt: I changed the ROOM Names in the SONOS desktop App first, then followed the above steps. This corrected the streaming issue.

I will stream several times today to see if the issue returns.
Badge
Stream Test Results

Play 3 songs - I played 3 songs then I stopped streaming and waited 15 mins - This worked fine.
Play 3 songs - I played 3 songs then I stopped streaming and waited 30 mins - This worked fine.
After 45 mins Started streaming, - This ONLY played 1 song from the stream.

If I change SONOS Room Names and have Alexa Discover Devices again it will start streaming again. I am going to now try and repeat this same process again to confirm the time intervals.

Doug G.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Doug

Can you confirm that you have no other apps logged into an Amazon account? If this happens again can you submit a diagnostic and post the number on this thread.
Badge
Play 3 songs - I played 3 songs then I stopped streaming and waited 15 mins - This worked fine.
Play 3 songs - I played 3 songs then I stopped streaming and waited 30 mins - This worked fine.
Play 3 songs - I played 3 songs then I stopped streaming and waited 45 mins - This worked fine.
After 60 mins wait I Started streaming, Again - This ONLY played 1 song from the stream.

I don't completely understand because ALEXA still can lower and raise the volume on SONOS so the communication is still there?

I have a laptop and a cell phone logged into my Amazon Account. Are you asking me to log out all other devices from Amazon?

Which app will give me the error code? and where do I find it?

Doug G.
Badge
Submitted diagnostic through Sonos desktop app the number is 259489565.

Doug G
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Play 3 songs - I played 3 songs then I stopped streaming and waited 45 mins - This worked fine.
After 60 mins wait I Started streaming, Again - This ONLY played 1 song from the stream.

I don't completely understand because ALEXA still can lower and raise the volume on SONOS so the communication is still there?

I have a laptop and a cell phone logged into my Amazon Account. Are you asking me to log out all other devices from Amazon?

Which app will give me the error code? and where do I find it?

Doug G.

This problem can occur if you are logged into a different Amazon or Spotify in a different app.
Badge
I only have one streaming service, Amazon. ~Doug G
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Doug_MI. Thanks for posting and for your efforts in troubleshooting this. From the sounds of this, it seems that we should troubleshoot this in real time with a call to our support technicians. They are able to set up a remote session and look at alexa.amazon.com with you to make sure Alexa is set up without any device or account conflicts. Thanks again!
Badge
I took part in a remote session with SONOS phone support (Rodney). We went through the process of disabling and deleting devices. We re-enabled the SONOS skill. The SONOS only played one streamed song.

We did notice that once the streaming fails to advance to the next song, the Alexa App does not display the failed command text in the Alexa Homepage activity card stack.The issue has now been passed to Michael S. ~ Sonos Escalations Team. Good luck to Michael and the team on this one.

I will update this thread when we know more.

Doug_MI
This is Doug_MI. The community made me create a new user because I updated my email address.
I did additional trouble-shooting I want to pass a word file to Michael S. ~ Sonos Escalations Team for review.

How do I send a Word file to him?

Doug_MI
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi Doug. After your conversation with our support team, you should have received an email from the technician. You can reply to that message as you normally would, and attach the Word file. The response (and attachment) will be attached to the ticket for the technicians and escalations team to review.

Thanks.
Thanks, I sent it.
Here's an update on my issue for the community.

The echo device appears to be making duplicate play Q's inside of the Now Playing Screen (inside the Alexa desktop App). This Phantom Queue appears after playing music on the device and then stopping for several hours, in my case up to 9 hours.

When I reopen the Alexa desktop app and go to the Now Playing Screen (inside the Alexa desktop App). In the drop-down box duplicate device names for my Sonos speakers.

I have tried to remove the duplicate names, by using the forget function, but it only removes the original device play Queue. The Phantom device Queue remains on the list for 24 to 48 hours.

What I've been trying to do as a workaround is:

1 Forget the devices. - This removes the original device Queue name.

2 Go to the settings screen of the Alexa app and rename the Phantom cues items that are there. I use odd names like empty q1 or empty Q2 this helps me identify the Phantom cues and I can tell when they've been removed.

3 Rediscovered devices from the Alexa app.

Attached is a screenshot of the Alexa desktop App - setting screen.

Doug_MI2
Badge
Been working with SONOS escalation member Micheal S. ~ He has helped a great deal. He has given me something to try. I will update in a few days.

Doug_MI
Badge
RESOLVED:

Symptom::
Alexa only pays one song then stops. Duplicate Device Queues are being created in the Now Playing Dropdown list in the Now Playing screen of the Alexa App.

Cause:
A 2nd Amazon user account in the Setting-->Alexa Accounts--> HouseHold Profile.

Solution:
Removing the additional family member accounts from the Household Profile screen.
(Setting-->Alexa Accounts--> HouseHold Profile.)

Thanks for letting me help troubleshoot
Doug G
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Glad to hear it's been sorted! Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Doug.