Answered

Preamp not feeding Sonos Play:5

• 2 January 2023
  • 6 replies

I have a project debut carbon turntable connected to a Bellari VP130 phono stage. This little setup has been able to give me headphone access (the Bellari serves also as a headphone amp, which is why I bought it) and a line signal that I used to feed to my Sonos Play:5 line-in jack. This worked well for years. 

Now o decided to buy a new headphone amp/preamp/speaker amp by a company called LTA (LTA Microzotl 2, or “MZ2” for short). The MZ2 is mainly a headphone amplifier, and it’s GORGEOUS. It has significantly improved my listening experience using headphones. However, I can’t seem to find a way to output to my Sonos. 

The MZ2 has an RCA output meant for a power amp, and banana plugs meant to drive high sensitivity speakers (1W power only). If I hook my Sonos to the RCAs I get a very low volume and somewhat distorted sound if I try cranking up either the phono stage or the preamp volume. Awful. I have not tried connecting the banana plugs to the Sonos because I’m guessing that output can damage my Sonos built-in preamp. I’m not sure what I’m missing here. 

Is it an impedance issue? Do I need a power amp to feed Sonos? Should I split the signal after the phono stage and before the MZ2?

Im pretty lost here. I mostly enjoy my music with headphones, but it’s a dealbreaker to not be able to use speakers, and the Play :5 is what I got. 

icon

Best answer by Gballarino 3 January 2023, 14:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is the RCA output at line level?

Have you tried adjusting the input level on the Play:5?

I don’t know how to tell if the RCA is at line level. I feel it should be. I was unable to deduce this by reading the specs on the LTA website  

Yes, I tried adjusting the input level to no avail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I don’t know how to tell if the RCA is at line level. I was unable to deduce this by reading the specs on the LTA website  

Have you asked LTA? That seems the obvious source of an accurate answer. (And route to a solution too.)

I don’t know how to tell if the RCA is at line level. I was unable to deduce this by reading the specs on the LTA website  

Have you asked LTA? That seems the obvious source of an accurate answer. (And route to a solution too.)

I emailed them and I’m waiting for a reply. So far their customer service has been terrific, and a joy to work with. In the meantime, the specs note that the preamp output impedance is 50 ohms. I did notice that the Bellari phono pream I was using, has an output impedance of 100 ohm. Not sure this means something. I also reached out to Sonos to inquire if different output impedances would make a difference; they had nothing to say about it. 

We’ll, embarrassingly, although thankfully, this was the result of a very rookie mistake. BAD CABLE. Changed the RCA’s instantly better. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

We’ll, embarrassingly, although thankfully, this was the result of a very rookie mistake. BAD CABLE. Changed the RCA’s instantly better. 

Easily done (indeed, I’ve done it myself with bad cable/connector). Glad it’s sorted. Now enjoy!