Answered

Will Sonos work for me?

• 13 February 2022
  • 4 replies

I am trying to find a music system which will work in my little flat. I’ve been using Logitech Boom speakers but connecting them is clunky via the app and also unreliable; also I want to be able to play the radio without connecting my device.

This is what I want to do:

• play my own music (not streamed music) from my phone or tablet
  • listen to the radio (BBC)
  • listen to BBC Sounds
  • listen to podcasts (via Google or Spotify or suchlike)

I’d like to do all the above in multiple rooms. I’m always scuttling from one to the next so would like the same sound playing on different speakers in different rooms. I’ve got a few Alexa devices but they won’t let me play my own music apart from via Bluetooth. 

I’m looking at Sonos One and Symfonisk speakers. Research suggests that I can play my own music (from my phone or tablet) and BBC radio via the sonos app. Is this correct? Can I play Spotify podcasts or Google podcasts (a thread from a couple of years ago suggests not)? 

I have an Android phone and tablet. Other threads I’ve read say that Sonos does not allow bluetooth but if I am able to play music, etc via the Sonos app or via an Alexa which is connected to a Sonos that won’t be a big deal.

Sorry for the rambling post but I would really appreciate any advice! I don’t stream music and I didn’t realise this would be so complicated.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 14 February 2022, 00:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @ellymoo 

You have a choice of Sonos speakers which can be grouped to Symfonisk speakers to extend the source to other rooms. 

Stereo pairs can only be created with like speakers.

Depending upon what you are listening to will determine if a single speaker will suffice or if a stereo pair would sound better.

Speakers such as the Arc and Beam 2 used in Home Theater can also be used as music speakers. Also if you have a Home Theater setup that includes an Arc or Beam2 with surrounds (and possibly a sub) they will all play music at full output.

Sonos also offers the Move and Roam portable speakers that can accept Bluetooth.

All Sonos speakers with the exception of the Sonos One SL are voice assistant capable with either Alexa or Google.

If you can submit a diagram of your floor plan community members can suggest speakers that might work best in certain areas

Below is a link to the music services offered by Sonos. I’d assume Pod cast will be dependent upon the service and if they are licensed to be played over Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US

Thanks very much for your reply. I don’t need a home theatre system, and I’m not an audiophile so fantastic music quality isn’t a Must - I wouldn’t play it too loud anyway as I don’t want to annoy my neighbours. I just want decent quality in each room! If I got a Roam, and connected it to other Sonos speakers, would I then be able to play via Bluetooth on them all?

Yes, you could send a Bluetooth signal to the ‘room’ that is the Roam, and then by ‘grouping’ that ‘room’ with your other Sonos speaker ‘rooms’, they could play that Bluetooth signal in sync. 

That’s just what I need! Thank you. I’ve got a Symfonisk on its way as a starter but I think I could invest in one or two more when I can as these will work well.