Answered

Sonos One SL as mains with Sonos Amp

• 7 January 2022
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Is it possible to run the Sonos amp with a pair of One SL’s as the mains? I have a setup where I have existing power close to both speaker locations but won’t be able to run speaker wire due to existing construction.

The reason I’m looking at the amp instead of the port is that I want to get a turntable and HDMI ARC into the system.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I’ve searched the forums for a while and couldn't find anything.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 January 2022, 22:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Why do you need HDMI ARC? Are you wanting to connect the Amp and One SLs to a TV?

The One SLs are powered speakers. The Amp is designed to power passive speakers.

You can group the One SLs with the Amp in the Sonos app, but if you plan on connecting the Amp to a TV, you will experience a slight audio delay from the One SLs when playing TV audio. Streaming music from the app or from a connected turntable will be in sync though.

FYI… One SLs aren’t designed to be used as TV speakers. But if you use the Amp to power a pair of passive speakers and connect it to your TV, the pair of One SLs can be bonded to the Amp and used as rear surround speakers. This would give you a 4.0 home theater setup.

Thanks for the response GuitarSuperstar. Yeah I was worried about how bad the latency would be as well. TV audio isn't really a priority but figured if I’m going to get the turntable into the system I might as well try for the TV as well. Was just up in the attic space and I may have a solution to running speaker wire. Not an ideal solution but will be better than any latency.

Do you know if there is noticeable latency when paired with the wireless sub?

Userlevel 7

If the Sub is bonded with the Amp, there won’t be any latency with TV or music audio. The latency only occurs with the grouped Sonos speaker when playing TV audio from the Amp.

Great! As long as my speaker wiring option works this solidifies my purchase choice. Thanks again GS! 

I’m actually looking to do something similar.  I’d like my SL’s to be in tandem with the speakers wired to the AmP.  When I was setting up the SLs they joined the “room” no problem with the Amp.  Then something happened and now I have a separate room for them.  
Do I have to do the whole install again or can I just put them in the Amps room? 

I’m actually looking to do something similar.  I’d like my SL’s to be in tandem with the speakers wired to the AmP.  When I was setting up the SLs they joined the “room” no problem with the Amp.  Then something happened and now I have a separate room for them.  
Do I have to do the whole install again or can I just put them in the Amps room? 

If you had a Amp and SL's in one room then thr SL's were configured as surrounds.  See this link for how to configure them again: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Ahhh.  Thank you, I will check that.  

Badge

Great! As long as ** my **speaker wiring option works this solidifies my purchase choice. Thanks again GS! The quiescence only occurs with the grouped Sonos speaker when playing Television audio from the Amp. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*