Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam (Gen 2) or the Sonos Arc for my room size Length - 360cm , width - 280cm, and height - 280cm

• 19 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Sonos Beam (Gen 2) or the Sonos Arc based on my room size(more info below)

Budget and location - 900 USD(85,000 INR), Amazon India Prime Day Sale

How the gear will be used - With my LG C3 48 (121cm) OLED HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Spotify Play and Apple Music

New or used - New

Past gear experience - Never used any premium hi-fi soundbars. Currently, I have Edifier R1280DB bookshelf speakers and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and Sony XM5 headphones.

Room information:

1. Room Dimensions:

• Length - 360cm , width - 280cm, and height - 280cm

• (in-feet) Length: 11.81 feet Width: 9.19 feet Height: 9.19 feet

2. Room Shape:

• Rectangle room

3. Room Acoustics:

• Wall materials - Concrete wall

• Floor materials - Vitrified tiles

• Ceiling materials - Concrete ceiling

• Presence and placement of windows and doors - There are two windows on one of the longer sides and one window on one of the shorter sides, for a total of three windows.

• Presence of acoustic treatments or furniture that might absorb or reflect sound - The room contains three computer tables, three curtains, one office chair, and one single bed.

4. Listening Position:

• Preferred seating area or sweet spot for listening - Almost center of the room facing TV

• Distance from the speakers to the listening position - 170cm

5. Speaker Placement:

• Potential locations for speakers - Under the TV, on the table.

I am looking for a high-quality standalone soundbar capable of producing a surround sound experience. My main uses for the soundbar will be:

1. Connecting it to my TV for watching movies, TV shows, and occasionally gaming.

2. Playing music from Spotify or Apple Music.

I have narrowed it down to two options: the Sonos Beam (Gen 2) or the Sonos Arc. Both work well with my TV and can also play Spotify or Apple Music. However, I need you help to choose between the two.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @MelodyRaven, thanks for your post and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Both the Arc and Beam gen 2 would be excellent choices here but I can give some further info on the benefits of each. Both the Arc and Beam gen 2 are Dolby Atmos capable, though the Arc is better at recreating 3D audio due to its dedicated upward firing speakers, so if Atmos movies/music is something important to you then this may be something to consider. In terms of volume, the Arc is technically a more powerful speaker though for the size of room you describe, I think the Beam gen 2 would be sufficient purely from a volume perspective. I personally use a Beam gen 1 in a small room for movies, gaming and music and have been very happy with its performance.

I hope this information helps!

Thanks, @Craig L. I got the Sonos ARC last week. My room dimensions are 11.81 feet (Length), 9.19 feet (Width), and 9.19 feet (Height).

I’m wondering what I should get next: the Sonos Sub (for that gut punch) or the rear speaker Sonos Era 300. The Era 300 is just very expensive at this point. I hope that once the new Sonos speakers are released, the price decreases.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I'd lean to the Sub-mini, I have a full Sub in a 10x10 foot room and it is way more than is needed.

If Surround is a priority maybe Era-100s for now and later upgrade to 300s relocating the 100s to other rooms.