Answered

should I update my Sonos system ?

• 18 November 2022
  • 5 replies

"I have a Sonos ‘Bridge’ which is connected to 4 speakers in the room. I also have two Sonos one Gen 1 . I am not able to update the Sonos app Which ones of the items I have mentioned should I replace ?” 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 November 2022, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don’t see any reason to change anything if it is all working.  I doo’t understand what you mean by ‘unable to update the Sonos app’. Please would you explain?

When I try to update the Sonos app from my computer (Apple) it gives me an error.

I am also unable to listen to many uk radio stations. Years ago I could also listen to Italian radio stations  but I understand Sonos lost the rights or something along those lines 

There’s a couple of things to unpack here.

1. Sonos has run in to a snag with the changes to MacOS and the way their updater works. For now, you can merely delete your current controller, go to the download page on Sonos.com, and install the new one. Just be sure to ‘connect to existing system’ when you hit that prompt. There’s a thread about that around here somewhere, certainly.
  2. If indeed you have two Sonos Ones, and a BRIDGE, it’s that BRIDGE that is holding you back from updating from S1 to S2. However, you tagged a CONNEC:AMP in the message, without mentioning it in your text. Some of them can run S2, the newer ones with more memory. If you double check on www.Sonos.com by signing in and looking at ‘my system’, you should be able to tell. If it can run S2 as well, I’d recommend retiring the BRIDGE completely, as it can be replaced by the newer and more robust BOOST, wiring any of your other Sonos devices to the router, or just attaching all Sonos devices to your Wi-Fi signal.

Here is the thread I mentioned:

Be sure to read through it in its entirety. 

Bridge power supplies have history of failure. If you can measure voltage, the power supply should emit slightly more than 5V. Less than this, chaos begins.