Question

Playbar Vs Playbase

• 4 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Now that the Playbase is out, is it better than the Playbar? Any thoughts? I currently have the Playbar, Sub and two Play 1s and 65'' LG OLED TV for my home theater. Should I sell my Playbar for the Playbase? Can the Playbase handle the weight of my TV? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I have a 5.1 system with Playbar in one room and added a Playbase and Sub in another room last week. So far can't say it is a better set up but they are both great.
Playbar is good for me.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Me too. Although combined with a Sub. Playbase may be smarter, but mostly for design matters.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Playbar is also good for me I have 3 off them and love them 🙂 but saying that I have never heard the playbase.
Badge +2
I have a 5.1 system with Playbar in one room and added a Playbase and Sub in another room last week. So far can't say it is a better set up but they are both great.
Thanks for this. I was curious to hear from consumers who own both. I've been in the market for a Playbar for a while, but just haven't gotten around to buying one. Now, with the addition of Playbase to the family, I have yet another decision to make. I currently have my TV on a stand on the top of the media console, but I have all intentions of mounting it on the wall with a mount I have. I'm just trying to finalize my stereo setup before I do anything. I have two Play:1's, and I've been debating using them as rear speakers with Playbar or Playbase, and then possibly adding a SUB or not.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I had the interesting experience of buying a Playbase and having to take it back due to a cosmetic issue. Despite having a replacement I actually rejected it and stuck with my Playbar. I have a Playbar, Sub and two Play 1's in a 5.1 Set Up. I think if you have the Sub and a Playbar then this is a superior set up to both the Playbase on it's own and a Playbase with the Sub. Both with and without the Sub I found dialogue on the Playbase to be weak and a bit tinny for my liking. Don't get me wrong, the musical expanse created by it is amazing, but to my ears the areas lacking were dialogue and stereo separation which was won hands down for me by the Playbar.

My rule of thumb is this: If you have no Sonos TV Equipment, get the Playbase as it does the audio and sub side well in one box. But if you can afford a Sub, then get the Playbar. In short, only get the Playbase as a compromise component if you have no plans to buy a Sub.