connecting vintage turntable and amp to sonos speakers

Hi folks. 
my Dad has an old B&O Beomaster 901 amp and turntable. I’m hoping someone here might be able to advise how to get it playing through his Sonos Move and Beam 2. Does he need Sonos Amp, or Port? Or a different speaker? I’m attaching photos of the back of his amp to show what the inputs are. It’s from 1975 so pretty dated - still sounds great though! I’ve a feeling the speaker connections might be an issue. Any help much appreciated! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@VonRaff 

In general you will need a Sonos device with an analogue line in (directly or for Era speakers and Move 2 with additional Sonos audio to usb c adapter). 

But on your old amp there’s no other audio out besides the amplified ones for the speakers. 
So imho you better should connect the turntable to a classical phono pre amp and that one with its line out to a compatible Sonos device. 

Agreed. Nice as this device is, I wouldn’t attempt to connect it to Sonos. With no analog line level output, you’d be asking for trouble, and associated headaches. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes, it really looks nice and vintage and with connected speakers as a stand alone system of course it’s still an audiophile pleasure. But sadly there’s no way to get it connected to a Sonos system in a proper way. 🙁

I would perhaps forget the Amp/Receiver, with just its Phono/Tape inputs, but if you search online you will likely find a B&O 5-pin DIN to RCA cable for the Turntable to connect to a pre-amp and a Sonos product with line-in.

I’ve done a similar thing with a Beogram 9000… see attached image, but that uses a customised 7pin DIN cable to RCA. I seem to recall the cable cost me more than the pre-amp.

Anyhow here are the Sonos products that will then support the line in from your chosen pre-amp…

• Port/Connect
  • Amp/Connect:Amp**
  • Five/Play:5 (gen2) **
  • Era-100 (requires additional dongle)**
  • Era-300 (requires additional dongle)**
  • Sonos Move 2 (requires additional dongle)

** Note: If any of the above compatible devices are used as a HT Surround, then their line-in port becomes disabled.

Once the TT is connected it can play to any/all Sonos products

Here are links to the two Sonos adapters that are currently available to use (if required):

This next link is also worth reading as it supplies a lot of good information about using a Turntable with Sonos speakers…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos

Thanks so much for the advice here guys, really appreciate it. 
We’re just gonna try get some new speakers for it and keep it as a stand alone system. Any suggestion there would be more than welcome, if you have a minute. No worries if not though! 
Thanks again. 

Thanks so much for the advice here guys, really appreciate it. 
We’re just gonna try get some new speakers for it and keep it as a stand alone system. Any suggestion there would be more than welcome, if you have a minute. No worries if not though! 
Thanks again. 

I would perhaps just quickly check the left speaker output on the B&O Amp before buying your speakers, as the port looks like it ‘might’ have been damaged looking closer at your photo. I’d quickly check it with any cheap speaker you may have lying around, or can borrow, before going to any expense.

If you do ever change your mind, a quick search turned up this link for the Turntable to pre-amp cable I mentioned earlier, but I strongly suggest that you check, by emailing the website support, to confirm it will work with your TT before purchase (it all depends on your TT connection too)…

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/110-329-5-pin-din-to-twin-rca-powerlink-compatible-to-non-bo-hifi-amplifier-receiver-etc-din-to-twin-phono.html#/2-length-1m

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

On further possibility, which may be worth exploring if you have a user manual for the 901, is if the amplifier has a “tape monitoring” feature, which would have been common at around that time. This would mean that if the Tape button were pressed, the currently selected input would be routed out of a pair of pins on the Tape connector, and the signal is then returned to the amp via the other pair of pins.

If the feature is present, the output pair on the Tape Monitoring socket could be routed to the Analogue Input on, for example, a Sonos Port.

One thing to caution about: the Tape Monitoring output would typically be connected *before* the volume control, so it will always be at full line level - so the Port would need to control the volume itself.

Cool, will check out the left port as well as that “tape monitoring” idea. 
many thanks 🙏🏼 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If my memory serves me well the DIN-type connection for tape is indeed an “in” as wel as an “out”.

From Interconnect (HSR Feb 84) (muzines.co.uk)

The connection in the middle of the top row could be the one that on the B&O.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I use a Sonos Connect Gen2 with a BeoCenter 2200. A quad RCA to 5 pin DIN cable allows playback of Sonos sources on the 2200 and sharing of audio from the 2200 to my Sonos system. I am not sure when they standardized the signal level on DIN tape ports. I believe in the 1960s the level was much lower.