Skip to main content
Question

Playing HiRes

Hello,

I am very new to all this. I have a Sonos Arc, Era 300, and Sub. I have installed the Sonos app. 

My music streaming services are the following: Qobuz and Tidal.

I mostly use Qobuz. I only listen to HiRes albums. Nonetheless, my ignorance comes to the topic of how to play HiRes music with my Sonos system.

Thus, how to play HiRes with the Sonos? Do I just use Airplay when I am on the Qobuz or Tidal app, or alternatively select the Sonos system directly (which is called ‘Stuen’ in my case, please check the attached image)?

Or to play HiRes with the Sonos system, do I have to use the Sonos app and play directly from there? I am not sure which option makes sure that the system plays HiRes.  

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You need to add Qobuz as a music service to your Sonos app, and play music via the Sonos app, to play high res streams.

Tidal is not (to my knowledge) supported for high res playback on Sonos.

You need to add Qobuz as a music service to your Sonos app, and play music via the Sonos app, to play high res streams.

Tidal is not (to my knowledge) supported for high res playback on Sonos.

Dear Rhonny,

Thank you for getting back to me. 
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but does it not depend on the setup of my devices? For example, my two Era 300s (left and right) are connected to my system via Bluetooth. Would these speakers yield HiRes music when connected to the system via Bluetooth, even though I use Qobuz and the Sonos app?

Thank you very much beforehand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The best you can get is 24/48

on Qobuz and you need to set the quality on Qobuz website in your account settings 

if you use Bluetooth you won’t get hires music 

The best you can get is 24/48

on Qobuz and you need to set the quality on Qobuz website in your account settings 

if you use Bluetooth you won’t get hires music 

Thanks. This is a useful answer. 24/48 is fine for me. 

Nonetheless, my struggle is how to set up up my system such that the speakers yield HiRes music? As I understand, by using Bluetooth, one does not get HiRes music. What shall I do to get HiRes music?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you are using the app I am guessing you are playing the music on your arc

if so hi res is on the arc and the surrounds are just background music 

I used my 5s when I used Sonos app for Qobuz but  now I am using a WiiM mini plugged into my 5s

The Arc is connected over Wifi. Is that possible with HiRes? 

Second, is there no way to play HiRes with the Era 300s?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes hi res can be streamed via WiFi I am streaming 24/192 via WiFi on my Qobuz account  unsure about era 300 speakers I don’t own any 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m not sure I quite get it. Have you not selected “Add Surrounds” to add the Era300s to the Arc? This then bonds the Era300s to the Arc by its own 5ghz wifi to keep them in sync and allow the highest resolution playback, where the music service provides it. Then you just play Qobuz music via the Sonos app [don’t use the Qobuz app for this] and it will play high-res, provided this is all set up for high res in your actual Qobuz account settings.

Why are you connected by Bluetooth? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What he said 😊

I’m not sure I quite get it. Have you not selected “Add Surrounds” to add the Era300s to the Arc? This then bonds the Era300s to the Arc by its own 5ghz wifi to keep them in sync and allow the highest resolution playback, where the music service provides it. Then you just play Qobuz music via the Sonos app [don’t use the Qobuz app for this] and it will play high-res, provided this is all set up for high res in your actual Qobuz account settings.

Perhaps my Era 300s are connected over Wifi; it was quite a while ago I set them up. I can, nonetheless, confirm via the Sonos app that the Era 300s are not connected via Bluetooth. Thus, I assume they are connected via WiFi. The Arc is already connected to Wifi. I was not sure if it was better to connect them with an Ethernet cable - if that is possible.

To confirm your question, I did select “Add Surrounds”. Nonetheless, I was unsure if this setup was correct for getting HiRes music. 

As I understand, my setup must be correct for yielding HiRes music, based on the instructions you and @skullc gave.

I must admit, though, that I cannot really tell the difference between HiRes music and CD quality with the current setup I have, even though I have Qobuz and use the Sonos app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

To be honest a surround setup is not ideal for hi res listening this is why I got a stereo pair for the purpose of listening to music alone

the arc plus surrounds lends itself more to atmos music which I have no interest in 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Perhaps my Era 300s are connected over Wifi; it was quite a while ago I set them up. I can, nonetheless, confirm via the Sonos app that the Era 300s are not connected via Bluetooth. Thus, I assume they are connected via WiFi. The Arc is already connected to Wifi. I was not sure if it was better to connect them with an Ethernet cable - if that is possible.

To confirm your question, I did select “Add Surrounds”. Nonetheless, I was unsure if this setup was correct for getting HiRes music. 

As I understand, my setup must be correct for yielding HiRes music, based on the instructions you and @skullc gave.

I must admit, though, that I cannot really tell the difference between HiRes music and CD quality with the current setup I have, even though I have Qobuz and use the Sonos app. 

Your ears won’t tell the difference between HiRes and CD quality, with the ultra high-quality setup you have. 

Sounds like you are not connected by Bluetooth. Your Era300s and the Arc and sub wouldn’t show as one room if they weren't connected by wifi. So if your Qobuz account is set up to allow High-res streams, then when you play any music from Qobuz on the Sonos app it will be playing in the highest resolution Sonos supports.

What does the app’s Now Playing screen show tracks it to be playing as? (e.g for Apple Music is shows the Lossless symbol for its highest tier; and for Amazon Music I believe it says HD.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Rhonny  Qobuz doesn’t show anything on the Sonos App mate

Your ears won’t tell the difference between HiRes and CD quality, with the ultra high-quality setup you have. 

Sounds like you are not connected by Bluetooth. Your Era300s and the Arc and sub wouldn’t show as one room if they weren't connected by wifi. So if your Qobuz account is set up to allow High-res streams, then when you play any music from Qobuz on the Sonos app it will be playing in the highest resolution Sonos supports.

What does the app’s Now Playing screen show tracks it to be playing as? (e.g for Apple Music is shows the Lossless symbol for its highest tier; and for Amazon Music I believe it says HD.)

Thank you for your message.

I have set the streaming quality on Qobuz to be the highest, i.e., Hi-Res 24-bit / up to 192 kHz. So given the setup should be correct - as it is with WIFi - the quality of the music should be HiRes. 

I am not complaining about the music at all, but I know some albums are CD quality and some HiRes, but I couldn't quite tell the difference. It must be a scientific answer, the one you mentioned, that it is difficult for ears to tell the difference. 

Thx.

To be honest a surround setup is not ideal for hi res listening this is why I got a stereo pair for the purpose of listening to music alone

the arc plus surrounds lends itself more to atmos music which I have no interest in 

Well, this system I have was actually only intended for my TV, but given that I enjoy listening to music, I also wanted to take advantage of this system I have. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Well, this system I have was actually only intended for my TV, but given that I enjoy listening to music, I also wanted to take advantage of this system I have. 

Yup that’s how I started 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That's the setup I have. Well, not the Era300s but still surrounds, sub and Arc, which is great for music, TV, and Atmos. Ensure you have Full (not Ambient) selected for Music playback in the Surrounds settings too to ensure the Era300s are playing music to their full potential. 

Separate paired speakers might be better for music if you are a committed audiophile, BUT you could always just increase the Surrounds Level for Music in settings so that the Era300s are the dominant speakers for music playback. 

That's the setup I have. Well, not the Era300s but still surrounds, sub and Arc, which is great for music, TV, and Atmos. Ensure you have Full (not Ambient) selected for Music playback in the Surrounds settings too to ensure the Era300s are playing music to their full potential. 

Separate paired speakers might be better for music if you are a committed audiophile, BUT you could always just increase the Surrounds Level for Music in settings so that the Era300s are the dominant speakers for music playback. 

I am glad to know that this system is good for multiple funcions, such as TV and music. 

I can confirm that I use the Sonos app solely. I have the Qobuz streaming service within the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That’s a bit poor and unhelpful of either Qobuz or Sonos (or both)… No wonder people are uncertain if they are hearing it in the highest quality.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That’s a bit poor and unhelpful of either Qobuz or Sonos (or both)… No wonder people are uncertain if they are hearing it in the highest quality.

One reason I am moving to wiim

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

One reason I am moving to wiim

Would it really be too much to ask for Sonos to give users this level of detail as an option…?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Rhonny  your preaching to the converted mate but they have bigger issues to fix atm

For many tech users Apple is the gold standard for “easy”. Apple likes sparse screens because if there are few options visible it must be “easy”, right? Personally, I don’t like to be endlessly digging down before I can accomplishing anything. Displaying the bit rate and such would make the screen seem more “complicated” for some users and I think that SONOS is trying to attract “easy” types. I have no proof, but I’ll bet a lot of Apple expats or staff that went to the same classes as the Apple designers work for SONOS.

An interesting option, if the user digs down enough, would be to enable “complicated” screens for tech types. Or there could be a second “hard” controller. I think the chance of either scheme being available at some point is less than zero.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@buzz  that’s the default screen no changes made by me

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

For many tech users Apple is the gold standard for “easy”. Apple likes sparse screens because if there are few options visible it must be “easy”, right? Personally, I don’t like to be endlessly digging down before I can accomplishing anything. Displaying the bit rate and such would make the screen seem more “complicated” for some users and I think that SONOS is trying to attract “easy” types. I have no proof, but I’ll bet a lot of Apple expats or staff that went to the same classes as the Apple designers work for SONOS.

An interesting option, if the user digs down enough, would be to enable “complicated” screens for tech types. Or there could be a second “hard” controller. I think the chance of either scheme being available at some point is less than zero.

I am also a fan of more minimal screens and I think Sonos has it about right in the new app. As does Apple, as you say.

All I’m thinking is an option - like your ‘complicated’ suggestion but not complicated. The screen shot above is still pretty pared back even with track metadata…