• 1 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Good day,

I have the following SONOS setup in my flat (65m2):

• 2 Five, 1 Sub - Living room
  • 2 One - Kitchen
  • 2 Play:1 - Bedroom
  • 1 Play:1 - Bathroom

Connected via Sonos Boost (Boost is connected directly to a UDM Pro Port, same default VLAN), all stereo pairs except in the bathroom. All updated to the latest version 16.1. Normally all speakers play together / all rooms are selected to play the same music.

I have the following  issue:

Very often (but not always), when I start playing music from the mobile app (android 14, tried on a Pixel, Samsung and Xiaomi device), only 1 speaker would start play in the stereo pairs (always the same speaker, the right one) when various rooms are selected to play. The other speaker in the stereo pair does not play music (no matter if streaming or local). In order to get the second speaker in the stereo pairs to play, in need to unselect all rooms (let only one room play), as soon as I unselect the rooms, the room that is remaining active for playing music cuts out for about 1 second and then quickly resumes playing correctly as stereo. If I then add the other rooms, all speakers play correctly as stereo pairs.

What I have tried so far (without resolving the issue):

• Disconnected the Boost and used all speakers wirelessly (making sure that all UDM setting are set according to the SONOS guidelines (e.g. no auto optimizations, 20 MHz 2.4 GHz etc)
  • Disconnected Boost and connected only 1 speaker to LAN (using SonosNet)
  • Did a factory reset of all speakers, then joined them one by one to the system and regrouped the stereo pairs (did that twice actually)
  • Disconnected the single speaker in the bathroom
  • Tried the different wireless channels for SonosNet, making sure UDM Pro has another channel selected
  • Deleted all speakers from the UDM devices list so they would reconnect fresh
  • Moved the speakers to a new VLAN and dedicated WIFI SSID
  • Reserved the IP addresses of the speakers on the UDM IP management

All measures did not solve the issue, still when playing music, most of the times only one speakers in the stereo setup starts playing music. The only case I was not able to reproduce the issue is, when playing music in only 1 room. I have an open space flat, so there are no walls that block the WIFI signal. Also there are not many interferences in matter of signal (based on apps measurements). Once the speakers play correctly, there is no issue at all, no drop outs, no cuts, no problems.

I submitted 2 diagnostics from the app:

• **************: after starting to play music and only one channel of the stereo pairs would play
  • **************: after unselecting all rooms but one, and the music starts playing in stereo again

Any suggestion on what the issue could be? Any help is appreciated

Thomas

Moderator Note: Recorded and removed diagnostic numbers. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 1 April 2024, 10:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You need to call Sonos support and give them the numbers for them to say what might be revealed there. 

Some things to try/check:

make sure wifi is fixed on channel 1, 6 or 11, and SonosNet on a different one of those 3 channels;

have a unique name for 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi channels;

set fixed ip addresses for your devices to avoid duplicate ip address issues;

try using speakers closest to the router or hard-wired as the “master” in a group.

You need to call Sonos support and give them the numbers for them to say what might be revealed there. 

Some things to try/check:

make sure wifi is fixed on channel 1, 6 or 11, and SonosNet on a different one of those 3 channels; → made sure of that

have a unique name for 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi channels; → made sure of that too, but that shouldn’t play a role anyway using Boost

set fixed ip addresses for your devices to avoid duplicate ip address issues; → ensured too

try using speakers closest to the router or hard-wired as the “master” in a group. → how do you define the master in a group/stereo pair?

Thank you for your reply, my reply in your observations. I will call support, it’s just easier to have everything documented for someone to read.. and maybe someone faced the same issues as well.

The ‘master’ of a group is the first one selected. When you ‘group’, the first speaker in the list is the ‘master’. In this case, you would start the playback on the wired speaker, and then add any WiFi speaker as grouped with it. The master then receives the content across the Ethernet cable, and broadcasts it to any grouped speaker, be it wired or unwired.