Skip to main content
Question

issue with connection - new wifi router

• 23 July 2024
  • 9 replies

I just changed my wifi routers in my house, and now my sonos speakers aren’t working! Some join, and some don’t, music keeps dropping off and even the app itself won’t load properly, and keeps popping up with the message “something went wrong, try again” 

Please help!!!

ps. I’ve been trying to set up via 5ghz connection, but even on 2.4ghz router option I’m having the same problems. Nothing seems to work! 

Moderator Note - Removed and recorded diagnostics number.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ricoeliso 

Thanks for your post! And, apologies for the delay.

Are you still having this problem? I can see that your whole system is currently online, so it looks like speakers should be showing, but please let me know if you are. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Ricoeliso 

Thanks for your post! And, apologies for the delay.

Are you still having this problem? I can see that your whole system is currently online, so it looks like speakers should be showing, but please let me know if you are. Thanks.

yes I am still having major problems, particularly with Sonos Move constantly dropping in and out. It is infuriating!!!! What is the solution?! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ricoeliso 

Apologies again for the delay - this time, I was off for a week.

So, it seems that the speaker that you have connected to ethernet and is therefore transmitting a separate WiFi signal just for other Sonos speakers is reporting that the ethernet cable is getting disconnected - if you have not been adjusting this manually, I recommend that you replace the ethernet cable. This issue would have been affecting all your speakers other than your Move.

Regarding your Move, it seems it has a strong connection to your router, but the signal that your wired speaker is transmitting is on the same channel as your WiFi. As you seem to have multiple Access Points, I think the easiest option here would be to change the SonosNet channel. Please open the Sonos app, and after ensuring that all speakers are visible and connected in the app, go to Settings icon » Manage » Network » SonosNet Channel » 11.

Alternatively, you could disconnect the ethernet cable going to your speaker, and simply have your whole system run off your WiFi - this would negate both the need for a new cable, and the need to change channels, though I suspect this might be what you have been attempting all this time - if so, please let me know.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So thanks for the recommendation but it doesn’t work because the app is so rubbish! Everytime I changed to channel 11, it just switches back to channel 6. And also, now when I open the app it says “unable to load content” so I can’t play anything! I’m so unbelievably fed up with this whole system and set up. Help, please!! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

So thanks for the recommendation but it doesn’t work because the app is so rubbish! Everytime I changed to channel 11, it just switches back to channel 6. And also, now when I open the app it says “unable to load content” so I can’t play anything! I’m so unbelievably fed up with this whole system and set up. Help, please!! 

What type of router do you have? ISP combo device, mesh or something else?

How many speakers do you have?

How far away from your router are your speakers?

Do you have a VPN running? If so disable it to see if that helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Woke up this morning with YET ANOTHER ISSUE!! now my Sonos Kitchen is not playing music, despite it showing connected. I then try to factory reset (again) and it the app just keeps freezing. I am so fed up of how rubbish Sonos has become!!! The countless time I have now wasted trying to fix this stupid system. I hate it!!!   

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

What router did you change to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ricoeliso 

Factory reset nothing! It won’t help.

As you are unable to change SonosNet channel, please disconnect the ethernet cable going to your speaker. This will fundamentally change how your speakers get connect to your network, and troubleshooting steps simply don’t get any easier than this.

It may also help to reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

If you continue to see issues afterwards, however,  I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Do you still have the same problem? Have you tried to connect one speaker directly to your router via Ethernet? This way, you can improve stability across all your speakers. If this doesn’t work, try to replace your Ethernet cable. You can also reboot your router, switch it off for at least 1 minute and turn it back on. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.