Answered

i’m just about to launch my Sonos down the bottom of the garden

Badge

So I’ve got loads of Sonos all over a large house with WiFi extenders and it doesn’t work. I also have to have my Broadband from a local supplier as they have to beam it over fields etc. 

so unhappy with all my Sonos at the moment 

icon

Best answer by John B 3 January 2023, 23:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I know this won’t make you feel any better but Sonos don’t support Wi-Fi Extenders: Sonos system requirements | Sonos

However, I’ve had mine working with extenders, it just needs some additional work.

Do you have any of your Sonos devices connected via an Ethernet cable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

What type of extenders are you using?  Powerline adapters?

Could you not run a cable?  Shielded tough cable is not too expensive.

Badge

The whole point of Sonos speakers was to be cable free I ain’t running cables and think I’m going to sell all this Sonos and buy something better 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

The whole point of Sonos speakers was to be cable free I ain’t running cables and think I’m going to sell all this Sonos and buy something better 

Here’s the thing . . . do you want help, or are you just ranting?  If the former, dial it back a bit and answer the questions posed.  If the latter, just sell it and move on, we have people who actually want help, no sense wasting time on you.  

Badge

Good point, as I own 7 play ones, a move a roam, sub and soundbar I think I deserve a small rant that I’ve over estimated and overspent on Sonos. 
id like help but don’t believe you can help me. 

As we live 1.6km from the exchange and the Broadband cable is shared by 20 houses we get 6mbs download speed. To bring us into the new world a private company beam the BB from a hotspot 3pms away. This is a fixed system that I can’t amend. As I have a large house with brick walls I need extenders. End of….

Good point, as I own 7 play ones, a move a roam, sub and soundbar I think I deserve a small rant that I’ve over estimated and overspent on Sonos. 
id like help but don’t believe you can help me. 

As we live 1.6km from the exchange and the Broadband cable is shared by 20 houses we get 6mbs download speed. To bring us into the new world a private company beam the BB from a hotspot 3pms away. This is a fixed system that I can’t amend. As I have a large house with brick walls I need extenders. End of….

Good luck finding something that works, I’ll leave you to your little rant. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Do you have 4g reception in your area?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

What type of extenders are you using?  Powerline adapters?

Could you not run a cable?  Shielded tough cable is not too expensive.

I’ll ask once again!

You only need to wire ONE Sonos device (which could be a speaker or a Boost) in order to create a dedicated mesh for Sonos that would probably work fine (although obviously there is no guarantee).  It would be best also to reboot (power cycle) your router and Sonos devices, but it may just be sufficient to wait a few minutes for the system to reconfigure.

Are you are willing to try that simple experiment?  If not, there is no point in anyone spending further time here.

Badge

I’m using a private local Broadband supplier who uses air cubes and I have 3.

Badge

I don’t know why the wonderful Sonos community keep having a go at me as I’ve dared to suggest that Sonos doesn’t work in large houses or systems that use a wifi extender. Why don’t we mention this to the experts at Sonos who might write a patch to allow extenders to be used. 

I don’t know why the wonderful Sonos community keep having a go at me as I’ve dared to suggest that Sonos doesn’t work in large houses or systems that use a wifi extender. Why don’t we mention this to the experts at Sonos who might write a patch to allow extenders to be used. 

Nobody is “having a go at you”.  You are the one who stated “id like help but don’t believe you can help me.” and said you deserved a rant.  So I left you to your rant. 

Badge

Yes I do and it’s not bad

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos does state that their system is not compatible with WiFi Extenders.  You set up is not that of a typical user so you are bound to hit issues. Aircubes also do not have a great press and Sonos can be fickle when your Network is not 100%.  However I can’t see any other Wireless speaker tech doing any better in your use case

I ran Poweline extenders here in the UK, not sure if that is an option for you(the Aircubes may be a similar tech), for a while to get the the end of my Garden.  I found the hard way that although they worked for me they were not without issues.  For a start the best speed was 600, any faster and they did not work with Sonos.  I also found that after any update a power cycle was required for all the speakers. Then there were drop outs which gradually got worse.  This also affected my ability to work there in the shed. So they did give me a couple of years till I bought 80m of Cat 5e cable and ran that to one speaker.  All connectivity issues were them resolved. 

This a community of fellow users, with Sonos Staff to help too.  Having a rant is something we’ve all done at some point, if not here then elsewhere.  But why have a pop at those who are trying to help.  You’d never do that if you were talking to them in person.

The OP clearly enjoys trying to provoke and annoy, even when people are trying to help him resolve his problems. So I'm out 

Badge

Thanks for that useful information, if I ran a cable would it have to be from the main cube? Then would it have to be to the farthest speaker? 

it’s not just Sonos Sky Q also struggles to play the same program at the same time. 

Nest seems to handle different cameras on different extenders. 

is there a 4G option? 

@Jhster . I said I was out, but if you do want to work towards a solution then I am willing to have a go. As I am sure others would be. Deal?

I'll provisionally give it a go…

Does the main cube act as your router or is there another device involved?

Are you saying you also have Sky multiroom?

Badge

Yeah we’ve got Sky Q, 4 Nest cameras and doorbell, my Broadband fella Mark is also on board. The thing is it used to work after accepting the error message but just lately too many drop outs and I’m loosing play 1’s. 

yeah so the signal is beamed off the farm and onto a receiver on my chimney it is then wired to a primay cube. From this I have 3 other cat5 outputs one goes to the second cube upstairs in the office and from there it’s hardwired to the 3rd cube in the far end of the kitchen. 

Another output from the primary cube goes to the Sky Q box and one spare that could easily go to my playbar. 

John 

Badge

I’ve also got the heating on a router that we can control from anywhere 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Jhster 

I have used 4g as my main broadband now using 5g if you have the option it's a good source for Internet all round

I still have my arc hardwired to the router via a switch and all my sonos are on sonosnet which is preferred 

There is a lot going on there, including plenty of scope for wireless interference.

Please would you wire that Playbar using the spare cable from the primary cube?  Give it a couple of minutes then in the Sonos app check in About My System.  All Sonos devices should show as WM=0, except for Move and Roam which should have WM=1.

Please see if that works OK.

There may be more we have to try.  Sonos works out the box for most people, but yours isn’t the most straightforward of setups, so it is to be expected that some work is needed to get the configuration right.

You mention the cameras working off different extenders, but the cameras don’t need to constantly communicate with each other in order to stay in perfect sync.  Sonos speakers do. All the cameras need is a path back to the router.  It’s a far, far easier process.

Edit: if any speakers that should have WM=0 still have WM=1, try just powering them off, wait 30 seconds then power back on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes I do and it’s not bad

Not sure what providers you have but on three I was getting 80mb on average on 4g now getting 300mb on 5g 

And it was cheap 😊

Badge

John B, will do this sometime today