Question

Can’t Add Play:1 to my account

Hi,

I searched around, and googled the error messages I have, but am having no luck.  Perhaps as this is an older device, the answers are harder to find.  Anyway, see if anyone can help…

I recently moved and setting up a Play:1 in my new home. All other Sonos speakers set up correctly, except this Play:1. I did a hardware reset. Still setup failed. 

I did a hardware reset in the end. Still setup failed.  The error message says "There was a problem linking your Play:1 to your account", no reason or details given for fail. I logged out of Sonos app and logged back in.  Have u plugged the device and did a reset.  Nothing works. The Play:1 is shown in System/Products as "Not registered".

Now when I hit the “Fix it” link it jumps to “Let’s finish adding your Play:1 to your system”.  When I hit the “Continue” link, the Sonos app crashes.  I have to reopen the app.  I try same and it crashes.  At this point I cannot move forward with trying to register the Play:1 to my account.  

25 replies

I have the same issue with a Play:1 I'm attempting to register.

Now when I hit the “Fix it” link it jumps to “Let’s finish adding your Play:1 to your system”.  When I hit the “Continue” link, the Sonos app crashes.  I have to reopen the app.  I try same and it crashes.  At this point I cannot move forward with trying to register the Play:1 to my account. 

App is buggy and wont let me proceed.  Please provide resolution.

Having the exact same issue, worked fine with the old app but had to set up a new network due to era 300 issues now can’t add one to network.

I have the exact same problem with my play:1, impossible to add my both play:1 to the updated sonos app with link to account error. The support of sonos is closed for the week end :( 

Confirming same problem since app update yesterday.  I have 3 play 1 in the house. One was unplugged during the update and will not register

I found an work arround, you can add your speakers with an android device, it worked for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Folks sorry to hear you are having issues adding your speakers back to your systems. The new app is such a dumptser fire you probably won’t get much advice from the community because to be frank we don’t really know wtf is going on with it.

If you have access to an S2 app, you might have luck adding it with that.

But otherwise you might need to invest some time in contacting Sonos support.

Same issue today.

I am having the same issue today as well with my Play 1.  Had to reset it for the new app to recognize it, but now it won’t link to my account.  My Play 3 and sound bar are fine.

Experiencing a similar situation. My Sonos has been extremely laggy sometimes error-ing out after spinning to play my Spotify lists and Sonos recommend I may need to update my router. Well I did, and had to rename my network. Since, I’ve been unable to use my system and been stuck troubleshooting. I’ve performed factory resets on my play:1 speakers to re-add them to the new app and needed to connect via wired connection to get through the prompts to confirm the audio pin chime. I seemed to have less luck connecting to Sonos temporary WiFi network.

The app then notifies me that it’s unable to add the speaker until I update the speakers software. It begins the install and errors out. Im unable to add any of my products to my system - would be useful to know if this is a bug 

Update: today the app wanted to update the Play:One speakers, so it did that, went through the registration process again -- and still failed.  

Same issue here with all of the above with my Play:1. For such a simple task from a tech perspective, this blows my mind that Sonos has an issue like this. 

Badge

I was having the same issue as OP but I was able to get past the “Fix It” crash by resetting the app (Settings > Account > App Preferences > Reset App).

Unfortunately, I’m now having the same issue that several have mentioned here where it says it is unable to link the Play:1 to my account.

I have had this speaker in my account system for several years, so I don’t know what the issue could be. I hope the gets resolved soon so that I can get my surround sound back online.

Same issues for me!

I want to add that I’ve also tried set up from my iPad and and ancient Amazon kindle fire tablet (S1 app)  to no avail and the hold time for support today, weds may 15 at 11:21am pst is 70 MINUTES. I stayed on the phone for 35m before I needed to hang up. 

Infrequently the app will sometimes allow me to reach the point of hearing the tone and saying my Play:1 is connected to the system before reverting back to the app screen that says No Products found. But lookie here, nice contradictory messaging that my system is not connected, but I can ‘join it’. By repeating this process over and over again, I’ve been able to add ONE of my 4 play:1 speakers and there’s not much logic why it worked.  

And nevermind, the one device it allowed to add (and effectively play music from spotify on) has now disappeared from the app once it wasn’t hardwired. Great. 

We just updated and now nothing connects, we have spent all day on this, really annoyed we have had 12 years of no issues, and now none of 7 devices connect. 

Sonos has lost it

Userlevel 2
Badge

My first ever Sonos product and I can’t get passed this stage….

Found this on Reddit, and it worked!

First, in the controller try to add the new speaker as usual. You will get so far and the app will keep crashing. You’re probably getting the “Not Registered” error. 

Second, you need to go into the controller app and choose to transfer ownership of the system (settings/manage/transfer system ownership), putting in your account as both old and new owners. All speakers including the one that you tried to add unsuccessfully will now transfer to your account and work perfectly.

Userlevel 2
Badge

First, in the controller try to add the new speaker as usual. You will get so far and the app will keep crashing. You’re probably getting the “Not Registered” error. 

Second, you need to go into the controller app and choose to transfer ownership of the system (settings/manage/transfer system ownership), putting in your account as both old and new owners. All speakers including the one that you tried to add unsuccessfully will now transfer to your account and work perfectly.

Problem is I’ve never created a system before so the manage setting is greyed out for me

Badge

Murph you’re a real one! This worked!! I am now back online!

Hallelujah, holy sh*t!!

Yep, this workaround worked for me too…

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers%2D229128/found%2Da%2Dworkaround%2Dfor%2Dthe%2Dproblem%2Dcaused%2Dby%2Dnew%2Dsonos%2Dcontroller%2Dapp%2Dwhen%2Dadding%2Da%2Dnew%2Dspeaker%2D6892626

Confirming that the work around from Murph is the real deal. My orphan Play:1 is back

Update Ownership

Thanks for sharing, this worked for me as well :-)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Manage in settings is greyed out for me. Any fix for this?

Userlevel 1
Badge

My issue is a bit different than most, it seems. I upgraded an S1 system and have successfully added a Port, Era 300 and Move2 and removed the old Connect and Connect:Amp. The Play:1 is supposed to be compatible with S2 so I just did a factory reset and attempted to add it to the existing system as usual. After the factory reset the lighl flashes green indicating that it's ready to be added. The app sees the speaker and guides me through the process. It gets to the point where it needs to update the speaker's firmware and I click the update button in the app. The light now flashes orange/white indicating that the firmware update is in progress. After a minute or so, the light changes to flashing green. Meanwhile the app is just waiting, it seems. Can't get past this point. The light flashes green forever. The app waits forever.

Needless to say, I've tried this dozens of times. Occasionally I'll get an error 1014 after the firmware update but only maybe 20% of the time. Following the instructions for this error, which is basically just rebooting all the other components in the system, makes no difference. 

Has my Play:1 been effectively bricked?