Apple AirPlay

• 11 December 2022
  • 9 replies

I purchase a new Sonos One SL to add to an additional Sonos One SL. My existing One SL connects via Airplay just fine to all my Apple Devices. The new One SL will not connect to any of them. 

How can this be fixed?

9 replies

How is the second One SL set up? Is it a separate room, or did you add it as part of a stereo pair, or even part of a surround speaker set up? Is there a chance that somehow the Wi-Fi/radio got turned off on it? How does this new speaker connect to your LAN, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or SonosNet?

Hey. Thanks for replying.  

The new Sonia is setup in a different room. It’s not setup as a steep pair  or as a surround speaker. It’s connected to my WLAN via wireless and the Wi-Fi is enabled. 
it works through the Sonos app and even plays music from my Apple Music library through the Sonos app. The only issue is when I try to connect over AirPlay. 
My other One SL works fine. AirPlay and everything. 

There seems to be lots of issues reported for Airplay devices (in general) not just Sonos products - I did start to put together this check-list below from reading various threads elsewhere online…

Here are some suggestions from Apple sources to fix problems with Airplay connections:

• Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it on, on the sending device
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers etc.)
  • Connect to the same WiFi network access point that the speaker is using
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Disable ‘Private WiFi Address’ (MAC Spoofing) in the iOS Network connection 
  • Disable WiFi calling.
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics and closer to the main router
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or better still, reboot the router.
  • Switch off any Security/VPN software installed on the sending (mobile) device

There are more suggestions than the above, but these were the core things to maybe try, that’s according to some Apple online forum users and websites I came across.

Thanks for the list of option but I tried them all today and yesterday. Still not working. 
It’s frustrating because I have two of the same speakers. My old one works with AirPlay and the brand new one purchased two days ago doesn’t. 
Is there anything else I can try before I return it?

Thanks for the list of option but I tried them all today and yesterday. Still not working. 
It’s frustrating because I have two of the same speakers. My old one works with AirPlay and the brand new one purchased two days ago doesn’t. 
Is there anything else I can try before I return it?

Did you perhaps try unplugging the two SL’s and just swapping their physical locations, to rule in/out that as being a part of the issue?

I did that also. And did a factory reset on both. Still the existing one worked and the new one doesn’t. 

I did that also. And did a factory reset on both. Still the existing one worked and the new one doesn’t. 

Does Airplay work on the device if you ‘temporarily’ wire the speaker to the router with an Ethernet cable?

@TPorterfield,

In fact if the speaker does show up in Airplay when wired and works okay, as suggested, then I would go onto check if they both show up when they are on the same wireless access point and both are on the same WiFi band as the mobile device - then see if either/both disappear when they are on the 5Ghz band and the mobile controller is on the 2.4Ghz band and vice versa.

When either speaker is working/showing on the Airplay list, you could perhaps also check that they each have a unique RAOP (remote audio output protocol) identifier using the free ‘Discovery App’ from the iOS App Store and just ensure that both speakers do not have the same identifier. 

See link to other thread below with screenshots showing the App and RAOP identifier:

https://en.community.sonos.com/portable-speakers-229130/sonos-move-disappearing-on-airplay-6868551/index2.html?postid=16603530#post16603530

Hope that assists.

I downloaded the app. I didn’t see where there were duplicates so I assume that wasn’t the issue. 

I use the Alarm feature to play audio and this morning it wouldn’t connect to my music library. 

that was the last straw so I decided to return it. 

Thanks for your help.