PLAY:1 Line In

• 1 November 2013
  • 76 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

Of course you need to add it. Even $15 Bluetooth speakers have it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Every Sonos speaker should have Line-In and Line-Out.
The Connect and maybe even Connect:Amp could be scraped.
They sure have to makes them even better
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Not getting this! Why is everyone keen to have Line-In?
"SONOS - The wireless system" #keyword #wireless damn it why can't they do away with a power cord and make it 100% cable-less.

I have had a couple of home theatre set-ups before where I had wires every and frankly am so glad i'm wire free. Shame I can't set up a mesh-network to isolate the rest of my AV kit.
Sonos is wireless, but other pieces of audio equipment are not.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Not getting this! Why is everyone keen to have Line-In?
"SONOS - The wireless system" #keyword #wireless damn it why can't they do away with a power cord and make it 100% cable-less.

I have had a couple of home theatre set-ups before where I had wires every and frankly am so glad i'm wire free. Shame I can't set up a mesh-network to isolate the rest of my AV kit.

Good news: you won't have to use the line-in if you don't want to.

But I could find some good use for it. I would be able to hook my PC into it.
If Sonos baked a line-in into a next-gen Play:1, maybe we could hook it to a PC via Line-In AND create a stereo pair with another older, line-in-less Play:1. That would be awesome.

By the way, my Sonos speakers are connected via Ethernet. If there's something I've learned from WiFi it is that a wire is always better.

Mmh, that power cord... PLC anyone?
It definetly needs a line-in sooner than later. I would love to hook up a stereo pair of PLAY:1 to my TV or PC. Currently the only other option to do so is buying an expensive additional unit that does have a line in so the sound can be shared. That makes my instabuy a no buy for now.
This would be a wonderful addition to the ALL Sonos speakers. Adding the flexibility would only help 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play:1 and Play:3 are both more recent designs.  I wouldn't forsee a change coming in the near future.
This is the one massive issue I have with Sonos system. Don't get me wrong I love almost all of it, but it is really frustrating that I can't line-in to anything. I only have two play:1's and a playbar. so I don't have access to a line-in port.

It isn't so much that we need a line-in on play:1... what would be much much more useful would be a very simple and cheap (i.e. no more that $50-90) bluetooth 'dock' that may have a line in port that I can connect any output from any electronic device that uses bluetooth too it. I would pay for this separately... very happily. My only option at the moment is to buy play:5 or connect and then buy a LOGITECH (go figure) bluetooth connector. If you were smart you would not only have it bluetooth but line-in and maybe even build it in such a way that you could stream to an ip address on your network leaving it open for future steaming options (user controlled).

We are using the bose portable speaker instead of our very expensive (and much better) sonos system simply because we can not easily do that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This is the one massive issue I have with Sonos system. Don't get me wrong I love almost all of it, but it is really frustrating that I can't line-in to anything. I only have two play:1's and a playbar. so I don't have access to a line-in port.

It isn't so much that we need a line-in on play:1... what would be much much more useful would be a very simple and cheap (i.e. no more that $50-90) bluetooth 'dock' that may have a line in port that I can connect any output from any electronic device that uses bluetooth too it. I would pay for this separately... very happily. My only option at the moment is to buy play:5 or connect and then buy a LOGITECH (go figure) bluetooth connector. If you were smart you would not only have it bluetooth but line-in and maybe even build it in such a way that you could stream to an ip address on your network leaving it open for future steaming options (user controlled).

We are using the bose portable speaker instead of our very expensive (and much better) sonos system simply because we can not easily do that.

Raymond - since you have a playbar you already have an external input to sonos You could buy a Bluetooth adapter with a Toslink output such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M0CXRGU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_5FqHvbA8NG7EY And to avoid having to switch cables between the TV and the Bluetooth adapter you can buy an inexpensive optical switch also like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QIEISW4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TLqHvbHWCAFNQ The TV input can be sent to any other Sonos devices. Only limitation is that you cannot listen to Bluetooth content on the play 1s (via the playbar) and different TV content at the same time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You would only be able to select the TV input from the Playbar in the Playbar zone or when the two zones are grouped.

If you have an iOS device and a Mac then I recommend that you download SonoAir, then open it, right click on it in the dock, click options, click Open At Login so that the app... Opens when you login.. When the app is open, your SONOS speakers will appear in the AirPlay menu. If you use this app, remember to turn down the volume on your iThing before you try it for the first time.

wow Josh, this is almost eactly what I was looking for an wondered why sonos haven't added it themselves... thanks

& Thanks NickA. I might still set up that option too.
Wait so there is an audio delay for the line in?  So it would cause sound delay on the TV?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have tried some comparisons.  Yes there is a delay (70ms) but when I tested I could not see a lip sync error.  Now if I turned my TV speakers up at the same time as the Sonos speaker I could hear an echo because they were not 100% in sync.  If someone were sensitive to lip sync error I can't guarantee they would not see the 70ms delay Sonos introduces for the A/D conversion and synchronization.  I personally found it acceptable (actually surprisingly as I thought I was sensitive to lip sync) but others may not. 
You wouldn't be able to use it as an output while watching a video or something along those lines as there is a slight delay in the audio that way.  If you are just using it as an audio source, its works well!  Needless to say, it would be REALLY nice if it had that input option.
I wonder how much the delay is when using the digital audio inputs on a playbar or connect as I suspect that a lot of that delay is the digital/analog conversion.
Without a line in the Play:1 speaker is really useless for me. I wish I never bought it. Need to use a lot of hacks to get it working in-effectively with my PC and laptops.
It's not a pc speaker, why didn't you check it had a line in before you bought it. People really need to stop blaming everyone else for their own inability to do some basic research.
Yep, my fault, no doubt. However, the fact remains that this is a very limited device. The Play 5 has a line-in. It isn't so "obvious" as you think it to be. A line-in would have made things super convenient for this device, a terrific feature that could have been added with little cost.
A Sonos user would like to have a line in at the back of the PLAY:1.

What do you think about it?

I suggested this to Nicholas on Customer Support today. I'm sure I'm not alone...I have two Play 1's in 2 of our 3 bathrooms. My fiance would love to be able to ditch her ancient iPod player and just plug her little iPod Touch into the Play 1. Next version?! 😃
Userlevel 1
Current set up: 1 x P1, 1 x P3, 4 x P5, 1 x Connect, 1 x Bridge. It took me years before I bought Sonos, because I'm more of a "separates" guy. I like my Emotiva, Kenwood, and Polk, etc. system. Only when my girlfriend said she wanted really good sound too, and wanted it easy to use did I pull the trigger.
The thing about Sonos is, it does what it is designed to do very well. Some people have networking problems, for those people a wireless Sonos is not for them. The seamless sound between 2 floors and 8 rooms is excellent. The sound quality is top notch.
Would I like l a Play 1 with LiPo rechargeable, and Bluetooth, and Aux-in? Yup. But it would complicate things for the vast majority of users who are happy with the system. And what happens when that P1 leaves the mesh, and then returns? Does it reconnect seamlessly? Not sure.
Should Sonos lowered the price? Yes, and so should BMW and Prosche, but I'm not holding, my breath. My secret, all bought on Craigslist.
Next for me is to expand the system. In those rooms that have a single unit, I am going to convert to stereo.
I bought my Play:5 in December and I love it. It serves as my main speaker in living room and is connected to my TV with 3.5mm line-in

I was just about to run into the store and buy my self the Play:1 to set it up to my work room and to connect it to my laptop. BUT! Noticed that it misses the 3,5mm line-in, so that trashes my plans to buy one, because lets face it, while working you need to every now and then play the funny youtube video your colleague sent you, and I would like to play it through my sonos also like everything else 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I bought my Play:5 in December and I love it. It serves as my main speaker in living room and is connected to my TV with 3.5mm line-in

I was just about to run into the store and buy my self the Play:1 to set it up to my work room and to connect it to my laptop. BUT! Noticed that it misses the 3,5mm line-in, so that trashes my plans to buy one, because lets face it, while working you need to every now and then play the funny youtube video your colleague sent you, and I would like to play it through my sonos also like everything else :)

Get the Play 5
I just got Play 1 today and i enjoyed the design and the sound performance. But to be frankly I really want to return it cuz there's no line-in so i cant play whatever i want to play from my computer.... I know it connects to almost all music streaming software but I just hate the interface of spotify from Sonos app. I want to control the play back from the original spotify and basically I want to use it as a fundamental wireless speaker. And i would rather buy other wireless speaker than paying extra $$ for a CONNECT to acheive it. Feeling extremely disappointed that the Play 1 doesn't meet the most basic need of a user :@:(:(:(
That's the point, Sonos is by no means a "basic" speaker. If all you want is a basic wireless speaker for your phone/tablet/computer, buy a $50 Bluetooth speaker. It won't give you multi-room whole house audio, controlled from multiple controllers, with either synchronized or multiple sources, which is what Sonos was designed for, but a Bluetooth speaker will give you the basics. Just don't expect to expand to whole house audio from there.