"network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer"

• 20 January 2014
  • 75 replies

I've been having the same problems with music playlists stop playing and "network connection speed insufficient" messages coming up shortly after every track it try's to play and skips to the next!!!! Really gets annoying when your trying to chill out!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Diagnostic number: 4662312

same problem.

jon

The main ones showing showing the need are the two units in the Master Bedroom and the Living Room PLAYBAR (the rest of that 5.1 could use it too).

That said, if you've run the Sonos update for Version 5.4 already, they all should have rebooted and you'll be all set without restarting any of them now.

same problem.

jon

The main ones showing showing the need are the two units in the Master Bedroom and the Living Room PLAYBAR (the rest of that 5.1 could use it too).

That said, if you've run the Sonos update for Version 5.4 already, they all should have rebooted and you'll be all set without restarting any of them now.

Can you help Ryan?

Diagnostics: 6276965.

This is a system used in a hotel and it keeps cutting off our music. Need it fixed asap
same issue
Your confirmation number is: 6892261.

we have 6 play 5 generation one in a 3 storey building

server is in basement

internet speed is fine\

even if we play from network device dorsnt play fluently

at home i have same setup works great

cb
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

same problem.

jon

Can you help Ryan?

Diagnostics: 6276965.

This is a system used in a hotel and it keeps cutting off our music. Need it fixed asap

Hi OliHickman,

That diagnostic report doesn't show up in our system. Nor was I able to find a system registered to your email account. Can you send in a new report and reply with the number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
same issue
Your confirmation number is: 6892261.

we have 6 play 5 generation one in a 3 storey building

server is in basement

internet speed is fine\

even if we play from network device dorsnt play fluently

at home i have same setup works great

cb

Hi cb,

There's some wireless interference showing up and it also looks like the wireless signal strength is a bit low between your Sonos units and wireless network. How far away are your speakers from your router?

It may help to change your router's wireless channel from 6, which is crowded, to 11 or 1.
Hello -- I am having roughly the same problem as everybody else. Playing music from streaming services works flawlessly every time but having trouble with stuff stored locally I am not even remotely IT-savvy so please go easy on me.

All music is stored on a cheap laptop or a small USB hard-drive. Up to this point my local library has consisted almost entirely entirely of 320 kbps (or less) mp3s and I have had intermittent issues with "problems adding music to queue" (or something like that) which I attribute mainly to the computer going to sleep and/or lots of gunk on the machine. Changing power/sleep settings and running a cleaner/optimizer has largely solved those problems.

But, what's the point of having local files if they are not higher quality than streaming? So,I ripped a bunch of CDs to FLAC last night and added them to the library. Trying to play them this morning, I have this problem. I understand of course that I am trying to stream three times the data but from reading this thread I see that that may not be the only problem. My kids are watching TV so I am not going to mess with the router right now and I am not sure how to change channels anyway (I'll have to google that...) But I am willing to take any steps you suggest. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello -- I am having roughly the same problem as everybody else. Playing music from streaming services works flawlessly every time but having trouble with stuff stored locally I am not even remotely IT-savvy so please go easy on me.

All music is stored on a cheap laptop or a small USB hard-drive. Up to this point my local library has consisted almost entirely entirely of 320 kbps (or less) mp3s and I have had intermittent issues with "problems adding music to queue" (or something like that) which I attribute mainly to the computer going to sleep and/or lots of gunk on the machine. Changing power/sleep settings and running a cleaner/optimizer has largely solved those problems.

But, what's the point of having local files if they are not higher quality than streaming? So,I ripped a bunch of CDs to FLAC last night and added them to the library. Trying to play them this morning, I have this problem. I understand of course that I am trying to stream three times the data but from reading this thread I see that that may not be the only problem. My kids are watching TV so I am not going to mess with the router right now and I am not sure how to change channels anyway (I'll have to google that...) But I am willing to take any steps you suggest. Thanks!

Hi DMahlin,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system after you see the error message. Then, reply with the confirmation number and I'll look into it for you.
Thank you. I have avoided playing FLACs because of this but will give it a try and submit the diagnostic when this happens again.
I also have the same issue... it started after the most recent update. Has problems on every channel 1, 6, 11, did not resolve when I removed groups and tried playing from each zone individually, and also happens from any streaming music service, library, or from device. I turned the router, modem, as well each sonos device on off. The diagnostic is 7065144.

Hi DMahlin,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system after you see the error message. Then, reply with the confirmation number and I'll look into it for you.

After a few days without incident -- I almost thought it had somehow fixed itself -- I just had the same problem. I then switched from playing the album from local FLAC files (which sounded great!) to streaming the same album from Apple Music and I could definitely tell the difference! Diagnostic submitted, confirmation # 7068955. Thanks!
I also have the same issue... it started after the most recent update. Has problems on every channel 1, 6, 11, did not resolve when I removed groups and tried playing from each zone individually, and also happens from any streaming music service, library, or from device. I turned the router, modem, as well each sonos device on off. The diagnostic is 7065144.
Reset the sonos hub and now everything works
Having the same issue with playback. thought internet speed may be an issue but not sure. Diagnostic # is 7113557.
Everything was working fine for me until yesterday or the day before, my Apple Music started breaking up, losing connection and getting insufficient network bandwidth errors. Diagnostic # is 7123335
While you're waiting for a Sonos person to drop by, can I suggest that you try changing the channel that your Sonos devices are on? It seems like most often, the folks from Sonos say something about wifi interference when someone posts the "insufficient bandwidth error" issue. So if you're using Sonosnet, change it in the app to either 1, 6 or 11 (non-overlapping bandwidths). If you're not using SonosNet, you might be getting interference from the neighbor's wifi, so try changing your wifi channel on your router.

And if you've recently placed a device that is electrical within a meter and a half from one of your speakers, try moving it further away, it might be generating some interference.

I'm sure someone from Sonos will be along shortly to look at your Diagnostics. For which I do thank you for posting, it saves time with the whole back and forth thing 🙂
Already did, tested all channels, restarted and reconfigured my WIFI... I have no issues with streaming FM channels or from my Apple TV, just with Apple Music it seems.
Badge
Already did, tested all channels, restarted and reconfigured my WIFI... I have no issues with streaming FM channels or from my Apple TV, just with Apple Music it seems.
Hi zoolander123,

I took a look at the diagnostic but it was a blank one, could you please submit another one?

Having the same issue with playback. thought internet speed may be an issue but not sure. Diagnostic # is 7113557.
Hi shivuns,

From the diagnostic, I see interferences on your Connect. Could you please describe me its position?
- Type of support it is sitting on :
- The distance between your Connect and your router :
- Do you have a cordless phone or any other wifi device less than 50 cm from your Connect ?
Your confirmation number is: 7128840.

Hi zoolander123,

I took a look at the diagnostic but it was a blank one, could you please submit another one?

Hi shivuns,

From the diagnostic, I see interferences on your Connect. Could you please describe me its position?
- Type of support it is sitting on :
- The distance between your Connect and your router :
- Do you have a cordless phone or any other wifi device less than 50 cm from your Connect ?
Badge

From the diagnostic I can see that also the wired PLAY:5 seems to have issues. Where exactly is this PLAY:5 wired to? Would it be possible to short explain what is connected where?

I would also like to do a short test to confirm it is not a problem on the WIFI:

- separate the Stereo pair living room again
- playback apple music on the wired Sonos speaker and check if the problem persists on the wired unit
- feel free to submit another diagnostic

If the wired device shows the same issue we can rule out any WIFI issues
Diagnostic #7130524

My 5 is plugged into a 4-port switch, which is connected to my Apple Airport. I tried plugging it directly onto my Airport but same issue.

I separated the stereo pair and tested on the wired 5, Apple Music is still breaking up. Apple Radio and everything else works fine though, seems like it's only an issue with Apple Music.

From the diagnostic I can see that also the wired PLAY:5 seems to have issues. Where exactly is this PLAY:5 wired to? Would it be possible to short explain what is connected where?

I would also like to do a short test to confirm it is not a problem on the WIFI:

- separate the Stereo pair living room again
- playback apple music on the wired Sonos speaker and check if the problem persists on the wired unit
- feel free to submit another diagnostic

If the wired device shows the same issue we can rule out any WIFI issues
Hello. I'm having the same problems with the network. The sonos app keeps skipping and saying "network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer" when playing from a playlist on my iPhone. I've tried grouping and ungrouping rooms, but it still occurs in both rooms on different floors of my house (router and BOOST in the basement; Playbar, Sub, 2xPlay1 on main floor, Play3 on second floor). It seems to have started after the last update to the sonos app. I purchased the BOOST to see if that would help, but it doesn't. Radio stations work well. I've changed channels to 6 and 11 on the app, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have a signal booster on the main floor that I unplugged to see if it was interfering, but it didn't make a difference. I've submitted diagnostics 7139393. Hope you can helped! Sonos has been flawless until now!
Hi, any updates on my diagnostic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi zoolander123,

If you're getting the error on your wired PLAY:5 please try a different ethernet cable. Also, please run a network speed test and ping test then reply with the results.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello. I'm having the same problems with the network. The sonos app keeps skipping and saying "network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer" when playing from a playlist on my iPhone. I've tried grouping and ungrouping rooms, but it still occurs in both rooms on different floors of my house (router and BOOST in the basement; Playbar, Sub, 2xPlay1 on main floor, Play3 on second floor). It seems to have started after the last update to the sonos app. I purchased the BOOST to see if that would help, but it doesn't. Radio stations work well. I've changed channels to 6 and 11 on the app, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have a signal booster on the main floor that I unplugged to see if it was interfering, but it didn't make a difference. I've submitted diagnostics 7139393. Hope you can helped! Sonos has been flawless until now!

Some of your Sonos components have lost their network addresses. Usually rebooting your router and all Sonos units fixes this. Also, take a look around and in between your Sonos units for any third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common source of interference include cordless phones, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers, wireless cameras and wireless routers. Try moving any such device away from your Sonos speakers and see if things improve.

Hi zoolander123,

If you're getting the error on your wired PLAY:5 please try a different ethernet cable. Also, please run a network speed test and ping test then reply with the results.

Tried, no difference. Apple Music is still breaking down intermittently. Apple Music is working fine on all my other devices, and everything in my home network is running smoothly, nothing has changed. Sonos was working fine for a few months and still is... except for Apple Music.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6120702508