AirPlay 2 when?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Thank you. My Sonos gear could well be on eBay by the weekend then. I'm regretting buying into this now. There are so many much more flexible alternatives now, I feel I need to move on. When I bought into Sonos I had no idea I was buying into a technical dead end. Everything I read here suggested the opposite in fact. Very disappointed at this outcome.

Relax with the histrionics. If you read the Sonos release notes for AirPlay2, it looks like you will need to have a recent Sonos speaker that supports AirPlay2 but that having one of those should enable you to use the rest of your Sonos speakers with AirPlay2. So maybe just look into getting a $199 Sonos with the Alexa support. Either way, I’d just wait until everyone in the communities has had a chance to play with AirPlay2 in the wild. Then you’ll know what’s really possible. But if you want to sell your stuff cheap on eBay, knock yourself out. I’m sure one of us will pick them up for cheap.
Something that I can integrate with Google Home, Apple Homekit and the latest high quality Bluetooth technology that Sonos appear to pretend doesn't exist. Something I can stream directly to without being forced to use a basket case OEM app like the Sonos one. If I could continue to use my pair of Play 1's with Air Play 2 I would forgive the other stuff but it seems I made a bad decision buying Sonos. As per the brand, well, I need to bring myself up to date with what is out there.

So . . . nothing? Because there is currently nothing on the market which meets these needs.
Badge
So with Airplay 2 I will be able to: Send youtube audio (or any other audio) from either my iPhone 8 or Macbook to my Apple TV 4K (hooked to my home theater) and then also to my Sonos One, which will also then allow my Sonos Play:1s to be playing that audio too, right? This is great because for Sonos owners it means not having to buy their own $300 device to use your own speakers to play Sonos audio. Do I have this right? Synced music between my receiver (via Apple TV) and my Sonos speakers? All from my MacBook or iPhone? Please tell me I’m understanding this correctly.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks for the thoughts, you are right. I won't sell the Play 1's cheap. I will give them to a relative.

Secondly, any device with the latest high quality Bluetooth interface can easily be controlled by Google Home and/or Apple Homekit.

Thank you for your input
Thanks for the thoughts, you are right. I won't sell the Play 1's cheap. I will give them to a relative.

Secondly, any device with the latest high quality Bluetooth interface can easily be controlled by Google Home and/or Apple Homekit.

Thank you for your input

Not synched between multiple rooms. Nor can they be paired in stereo.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I don't use multi room, I sit down and listen. Natively stereo equipment has no synch issues. It is stereo out of the box. I understand the support here for Sonos, it is a Sonos website after all! But seriously, I think I bought the wrong kit. When I looked at what was available the long term support and feature upgrades by Sonos probably swayed my decision to purchase. It seems now, I bought the Sonos equivalent of a dodo.
If you do not use multi-room, then you very much bought the wrong product.

However, Sonos is by no means a dodo. It is the very first 3rd party multi-room streamer to support Alexa. It will be the very first to support Google Assistant, and it will be among the very first with Airplay 2 support. It is the only one with multiple voice control capabilities. It is so far ahead of its competitors, one of them just got sued for patent infringement. It is also by far the best selling multi-room streamer on the market, with the best ratings on Amazon. If that is a "dodo" then the rest of the market is positively prehistoric.

But I admit, horses for courses say it's just not the product for you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I agree with everything Jgatie Just said. Sadly I don’t think Sonos has done a great job of late of marketing its all round game. Although I am an Apple user and very happy for Airplay 2 support I do think Sonos should have supported Bluetooth years ago. Say what you want about Bluetooth it is a ubiquitous technology.

But FredBloggs I honestly don’t think you will find a replacement for the collection of needs you want.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks for the thoughts. I have had a brief look around and I would point you to the Quad website for quality gear with the latest Bluetooth technology built in. Yes, I never intended multi-room and I never bought Sonos with that in mind. Big advantage of the Bluetooth solution is that all the family, Android and Apple users alike can have all the integrations they need and stream the resulting output to the sound system. Yes, the Quad solution is quite expensive, there will be others not so expensive, I'm sure. I'll look around. But I am putting no more money into the Sonos kit. Disappointed, but life moves on. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
1. Sonos is obviously working on the Airplay2 integration as they have already verified the speakers that will work as Airplay2 targets (Sonos One, Play:5 Gen2, and Playbase). No one has said they are not working on it or testing it right now.

2. You can do airplay 1 right now on any Sonos speaker by running server software on a computer or NAS to enable the support (such as airsonos)

3. Sonos has a press conference coming up in a week where they will most likely be announcing some new hardware (which will also be airplay 2 compatible) and they may also update everyone on current status of Airplay 2 now that Apple has released it.

If none of this is acceptable to your needs then get a different product.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
No, numbers 1 and 2 aren't acceptable. But number 3 might be. I "thought" I'd get a firmware upgrade for my Play 1's that would bring the Apple and Google integrations along with Air Play2. it seems I hoped for too much and bought the wrong kit. But yes, I need to see what Sonos say in a weeks time thanks.
Badge
1. Sonos is obviously working on the Airplay2 integration as they have already verified the speakers that will work as Airplay2 targets (Sonos One, Play:5 Gen2, and Playbase). No one has said they are not working on it or testing it right now.

2. You can do airplay 1 right now on any Sonos speaker by running server software on a computer or NAS to enable the support (such as airsonos)

3. Sonos has a press conference coming up in a week where they will most likely be announcing some new hardware (which will also be airplay 2 compatible) and they may also update everyone on current status of Airplay 2 now that Apple has released it.

If none of this is acceptable to your needs then get a different product.

Audiobridge also works well, although it doesn't support paired stereo Sonos speakers. It was actually working on my paired Play:1s but then stopped showing them as an option. I also couldnt stream to both Sonos and an Apple TV together. That's what I'm hoping Airplay 2 support will allow for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Fred - Sonos has explicitly said airplay2 support will not work with the play:1.

When airplay support was announced they said only the Sonos One would support. They later found and announced that the play:5gen2 and playbase would also be supported. They obviously tested to see which they could bring it to and those are the all inclusive only 3 that will be able to be targets.

If you want airplay and don’t wish to do #2 then your only Sonos option is to get one of those 3 devices as airplay targets on order for your system to gain support.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks, yes it is quite clear. Sonos is not for me. I expected too much from future firmware upgrades. My fault entirely. I am not spending more on Sonos stuff I do not want. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
No, numbers 1 and 2 aren't acceptable. But number 3 might be. I "thought" I'd get a firmware upgrade for my Play 1's that would bring the Apple and Google integrations along with Air Play2. it seems I hoped for too much and bought the wrong kit. But yes, I need to see what Sonos say in a weeks time thanks.

I'm not sure how much you have invested, and which speakers you bought, but why not either sell your incompatible speakers and use the money towards the compatible ones, or just buy 1 speaker that has the ability that will make the old ones work also?
Badge
In theory Sonos speakers will just show up like the other apple stuff does like this, right?: https://i.imgur.com/gpMj0ye.jpg

Worried they'll make it so you can't stream to both Apple TV and Sonos speakers at the same time.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I'm not sure how much you have invested, and which speakers you bought, but why not either sell your incompatible speakers and use the money towards the compatible ones, or just buy 1 speaker that has the ability that will make the old ones work also?

Thanks, luckily just 2x Play 1's which I will give to a relative. I do not want a third Sonos speaker, I only need a stereo pair. I will cut my losses and put the money I would have spent on a third Sonos device into a system that will really do what I want. It's my fault, not Sonos's. I just hoped for more than Sonos willdeliver in terms of firmware upgrades for my Play 1's. No big deal.
Worried they'll make it so you can't stream to both Apple TV and Sonos speakers at the same time.
You mean simultaneously? I don't think that is going to happen; two different systems of two different manufacturers are incompatible per se.
Badge
You mean simultaneoulsly? I don't think that is going to happen; two different systems of two different manufacturers are incompatible per se.

Look at the image I included. Why wouldn't Sonos speakers show up the same way? Isn't the point of Airplay to allow streaming to multiple devices that support Airplay?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would imagine Sonos airplay2 compatible speakers will show up in Apple app and work as any airplay speaker would.
Look at the image I included. Why wouldn't Sonos speakers show up the same way? Isn't the point of Airplay to allow streaming to multiple devices that support Airplay?
I did. These are Apple's devices, without exception, no third-party units incorporated.
Badge
I did. These are Apple's devices, without exception, no third-party units incorporated.

Right, cause in that persons screenshot they happen to not own other devices. When Sonos supports Airplay 2, it should show up as an option to check, as it is an Airplay 2 device.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Luke may the force and patience be with you
I'm going to be very surprised, if Sonos will play in sync with HomePod and Apple TV or iPhone, iPad and Mac.
Badge
Ugh. What the heck is the big deal with it getting Airplay support if it can't play along with other airplay devices? Isn't that like 75% (or more) of the reasons you'd even want to be able to have Airplay on Sonos systems?