HomeKit Volume Control

• 7 December 2020
  • 11 replies

While my speakers are recognized in HomeKit, the available controls are limited.  Is it possible to control the volume through HomeKit?  Seems a basic functionality. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @markntx

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Let me share some information about the Apple HomeKit on Sonos.

The Apple HomeKit is the bridge between the Apple device and Sonos for communication through Siri. Siri and Sonos need to be configured on HomeKit in order for this to work. You can find this article Use Siri to control Sonos speakers as your guide. You can control the functionality such as start playback, skip, stop, or adjust the volume through HomeKit using Siri. You can also jump over to the Sonos app in adjusting the volume on your Sonos speakers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can lend you a hand.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

While my speakers are recognized in HomeKit, the available controls are limited.  Is it possible to control the volume through HomeKit?  Seems a basic functionality. 

If you use Homebridge

https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-zp

I’ve followed those steps and the speaker shows up but volume controls are not available.  Asking Siri to turn the volume up or down results in a ‘I can’t do that’ response. 

I’ve followed those steps and the speaker shows up but volume controls are not available.  Asking Siri to turn the volume up or down results in a ‘I can’t do that’ response. 

My experience so far has been that if you aren’t using Airplay 2 to send audio to the speakers, you can’t interact with them at all. Once you start streaming using airplay 2, you can use play/pause volume and see controls in HomeKit.

There doesn’t seem to really be Siri support at all, beyond the baked in commands when you are using Airplay 2.

Yes, this has been my experience as well.  It’s unfortunate as seems to be a basic feature. 

Agreed. I don’t expect Sonos to support ‘Hey Siri’ directly on the Sonos devices, but a little better integration with Siri and HomeKit would go a long way. It would be nice to be able to ask the Sonos devices to stream (as you would from the Sonos App.) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

My work around for this was to create a zone in the home app and included a centralized room that contained a HomePod, or HomePod mini. In my case I use the Laundry room where a HomePod sits and include it in a zone with a room where a Sonos is located. That way I can tell any HomePod in my house to turn up the volume in whatever the zone name is and it will include the Sonos. “Hey Siri... turn up the volume in the sitting area.” or “set the volume to 30%”. Not the ideal integration at all but it works until, possibly and fingers crossed, a single solution volume control can be integrated. Air play from Apple TV works also without having to create a zone. 

Another option is to create scene in the home app and include the Sonos device in the scene. I named a scene “Lets relax to smooth jazz”. Added the Sonos speaker in my lounge. Assigned it to play smooth jazz radio from a source, AM, iHeart, Playlist, etc… This way it will play directly to the Sonos speaker in the assigned room using another HomePod, atv, or whatever your default device is in the home app, and you will only hear music on the Sonos. My favorite for this scenario is a created scene entitled “Lets relax in the Spa” to which the scene sets the lights and plays Spa radio from Apple Music on the Sonos one in my bathroom. The HomePod in my Bedroom will pick up vocal commands to adjust the volume if needed, or Apple Watch, iPhone if sitting near by. Just some ideas to get you through for now.

That’s a clever workaround @cd6445 

I had toyed with ATv a bit, but, my TV would turn on unfortunately so I ruled that out eventually. Picked up a HomePod mini and am really enjoying it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I was looking for similar HomeKit integration to have an automation lower the volume on my speakers at a certain time at night. Is there no way to do this?

I am seeing the same problem, and am pretty disappointed to see that the homekit integration doesn’t appear to offer anything. It seems like the controls are only going through airplay. Is there any plan to improve the homekit integration?

you may be able to do it via Shortcuts with this: