Future Google assistant capabilities

• 19 December 2018
  • 17 replies

Badge
When Google Assistant eventually makes it onto the Sonos One, will it be possible to integrate with existing chromecast audio groups?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Sonos does not often make these types of announcements prior to release of new functionality.
Badge
I see, but does it seem likely in terms of how Alexa is currently working. For example can Echo and dots be incorporated within Sonos groups?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No - regarding Alexa as far as grouping for playback Sonos speakers and Echo speakers can not group together and play. Its one or the other.

I doubt we will see with Google integration either. Fact is Sonos is in the business of selling speakers and allowing them to play alongside other non-sonos speakers may be a bit of a stretch. Also Sonos prides themselves in sync'd multiroom playback that isn't really compatible with cloud based syncing.
I'm honestly thinking of selling up all my Sonos and moving to some kind of google alternative - does anyone know what's comparable to Sonos ONE?
Badge
Thanks, this makes sense in terms of a business strategy for Sonos. I guess if my perfect scenario was possible with Alexa or Google, it could greatly reduce the need for any additional Sonos products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea - exactly why they probably won’t
Isn't there some kind of beta with google home at the moment?
Badge
@ richdolman1985 If you want the voice control I suppose you would need to look at products from Google or Amazon but whether the sound quality of, say, the Google Home Max, is comparable to Sonos speakers I don't know. I was asking my initial question because I was interested in using the voice control and additional 'assistant' features of the Sonos One (cheaper then Google Home Max) with Google to integrate with some great quality older kit (HiFis and speakers) that already have Chromecast audios attached.

What is it that makes you want to move away from Sonos?
The lack of google integration into the Sonos ONE - the ongoing promise that its coming is very disappointing
Badge
I believe it's slated for early next year now but we'll see. Meanwhile, if that's all that's wrong with the Sonos experience, have you looked into whether there are any workaround methods to use Google to control Sonos. Not sure if these links might be helpful:

https://www.imore.com/does-sonos-one-work-google-assistant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLs34FdHM0
Isn't there some kind of beta with google home at the moment?

If there is, it is protected by a strict NDA.
You could register for it but I was too slow 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I think Chromecast will be intergrated. How can it not be? This is one of Google's main functions and works on all other Google enabled speakers I can think of. I think we may be surprised at functionality when we finally get it. One thing that won't be coming though is Bluetooth.
I think Chromecast will be intergrated. How can it not be? This is one of Google's main functions and works on all other Google enabled speakers I can think of.

I think you’re right. All indications point that way. AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, Alexa Cast, Sonos Direct Control, the only thing missing is Chromecast. Spence has changed the direction of the company from extremely proprietary to extremely open. That’s a very good direction, IMO.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I'll be happy as long as it does not have the Alexa sound dipping issue.
I'll be happy as long as it does not have the Alexa sound dipping issue.

Alexa no longer has a dipping issue. See other thread.
Userlevel 3
Badge
"Google boasts 1 billion Assistant devices—10x Amazon Alexa’s install base"
....that's the total install base of devices that allow the user to issue voice commands to the Google Assistant.
- Ars Technica

1,000,000 minus 1.