Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

So Mr Spence, is the problem our memories, or the fact that your organisation has screwed not only the new app but also the old app in a unique feat of corporate incompetence? I think we know the answer.

If that Spence on the other forum discussion is indeed CEO Spence, he has said there they screwed up in the manner you have suggested. In just a few more words!

If the Parents-in-Law have a NAS that only supports SMBv1, then they likely need to upgrade anyway, what NAS make/model is it?

It’s a Netgear ReadyNAS duo. They have no need to update it. Its SOLE function is a server for them to listen to their CDs on Sonos and to view their old photos on the TV. There’s nothing that is a security issue so, for them, it is/was a satisfactory unit. Until now

FWIW anyway, it looks like that NAS can be upgraded to SMBv2 (or higher) even though it’s no longer supported by the manufacturer, which will allow it to be used with the new Sonos App. See this link:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Old-Legacy/How-to-Enable-SMB2-on-ReadyNAS-Duo-running-RAIDiator-4-1-16/td-p/1705629

I’ll look into that. Thanks

This below on reddit is looking legit to me:

Here’s a word from Patrick before we kick this off:

Hello everyone. I’m excited to be here. I’ve been very focused on #fixingtheapp, but also realize the importance of engaging directly with our passionate community to get your feedback and ideas. I hope I can provide some clarity today on what we’re doing on the app and all things Sonos.
While the app remains my #1 priority, I’m going to pop back on Reddit some nights and weekends to engage on the most upvoted questions. So today is just the start of our conversation. 
Now let’s dive into your questions…

Patrick being CEO Spence is what this looks like.

The obvious question then - why on reddit? Why not here @Corry P ?

What am I missing?

Hi @Kumar 

My assumption is that Reddit has more visitors. Maybe that is a question you can ask him the next time he does a session on Reddit?

I've asked the same question here @Kumar .

Hi @Kumar 

My assumption is that Reddit has more visitors. Maybe that is a question you can ask him the next time he does a session on Reddit?

I think a lot of users here don't/wouldn't venture onto Reddit and would (reasonably, IMHO) assume that if Patrick were to publicly engage then he'd do it on his own forum.

Hi @Kumar 

I think a lot of users here don't/wouldn't venture onto Reddit and would (reasonably, IMHO) assume that if Patrick were to publicly engage then he'd do it on his own forum.

@sjw: you describe me perfectly. And your conclusion is spot on. 

I am not only not on Reddit, but this is the only place I write on, on the net. 

Now that this Spence is confirmed to be legit, his behaviour is completely beyond my understanding. At 65, I am probably just old fashioned and out of sync with the Spence generation and how it seems to think and operate.

PS: Gobsmacked. Correct term?

I don’t know if having a registered Sonos unit is a prerequisite for membership here; it ought to be.

In which case Spence is being defended for his absence from here, and for not facing people that pay him his salary etc., never mind how rude they are? Where they are also subject to moderation by Corry?

But choosing to and having the time to be on Reddit that is open to those that don’t have any Sonos units?

In my book, that is just a broad yellow streak on display.

But choosing to and having the time to be on Reddit that is open to those that don’t have any Sonos units?

I can’t imagine anyone without a Sonos speaker would be bothered to turn up to a Reddit Q&A featuring the CEO of Sonos? So the audience would still be Sonos owners - and reading all the replies to his answers clearly backs that up. They will all have helped ‘pay his salary’.

If Reddit has a bigger active audience of Sonos users than this forum, then that should certainly be the place for a Q&A. There are probably only c.100 active, regular users over any given period on this forum (obviously there will be lots of read-only visitors). Reddit will be home to a many times more active contributors as that is where online audiences are in 2024.

(The nature of the internet is such that information can be found easily wherever it is - so simply clicking on the link to the Reddit Q&A enables the answers to those questions to be read, even by Sonos forum users.)

By that logic, Sonos should do their other Q & A sessions there too? Instead of promoting it there and telling them to come here and increase footfall here and be able to moderate it better too?

The only reason I can think of for this behaviour is to allow deniability by Sonos Inc. If Spence spouted things the way he is doing on Reddit, on a Sonos Inc. website, Sonos could be exposed to all manners of legal actions and measures.

I see the hand of lawyers in this behaviour. Between them and Spence, it is a toss up.

The only reason I can think of for this behaviour is to allow deniability by Sonos Inc. If Spence spouted things the way he is doing on Reddit, on a Sonos Inc. website, Sonos could be exposed to all manners of legal actions and measures.

I see the hand of lawyers in this behaviour. Between them and Spence, it is a toss up.

It doesn’t matter where he says things in terms of culpability! 

What ‘behaviour’? Doing a legitimate Q&A on Reddit? I am sure the legal team will have run their rule over the answers before they were posted, and the comms team would have had a hand it setting this up and overseeing it. It looked organic but it will have all be done by-the-book.

In that case it is just weaselling out on his company’s forum.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Hi  @almazri @Rhonny @Kumar 

I will warn you all now - do not start up your nonsense again.

Just go ahead and ban me. That will be par for the Sonos course.

Is it just me or can we still not simply delete a track from the queue - amongst all the other things that still need a fix? You would have thought that was a fairly basic function?

Is it just me or can we still not simply delete a track from the queue - amongst all the other things that still need a fix? You would have thought that was a fairly basic function?

I think that’s part of the Music Library functionality that was “never removed” 🙄

along with the ability to access parts of the album/composer/genre etc. list by entering a letter rather than scroll all the way through when you need to play Verdi…

I think that’s part of the Music Library functionality that was “never removed” 🙄

along with the ability to access parts of the album/composer/genre etc. list by entering a letter rather than scroll all the way through when you need to play Verdi…

At least you’re only looking for Verdi. I quite like ZZ top… 

I’d not ask for a few hours of Spence’s time here, but it would be really nice to not see the note at the top of the forum that is currently 28 days stale.

Maybe some of the staff here could gently nudge someone to not only get that updated but schedule weekly updates, even if they just say we are still on track or we have slipped a week.

I’d not ask for a few hours of Spence’s time here

Neither would I, he should either be in the war room or asleep resting.

The objection is to his spending time on Reddit in preference to here, if, as he has shown, he has the time for such activity.

Isnt there ANYONE on Sonos that could help getting my players work again?

I have players for over 20000 dollars connected but dead.……

is this the way Sonos would like to handle their customers????

Since May…….

Since May…….

This is a Sonos ‘user’ community - with some Sonos employees here who act as moderators (clearly identified). Have you called Sonos Support about the matter? - LINK

Users here will gladly try to assist, but you need to give more detail of the local network setup, products and controllers - but it sounds like you perhaps maybe better off discussing the issues seen with the Sonos Support Staff.

with some Sonos employees here who act as moderators (clearly identified).

We only have Sonos’ word for that “clearly identified” part and Sonos word is not of the best repute these days. 

Of course, any Sonos attempts of the kind I am alluding to would be a lot more subtle that the ones we keep seeing here, and I am not referring to you, Ken. 

The worst part about this fiasco is that nothing is ever anyone’s fault. It’s just a “misstep” that customers have faulty gear. No one to blame, nowhere to be heard. Just a bunch of platitudes and sycophants that live on here, fielding interference for a company that appears to be too cool for their pleb customers.