Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

Hi @slworona 

You are free to disagree with me as much as you like. Infractions of the Community Guidelines are a different matter, however, and moderator decisions are final.

Yes, exactly. No suggestion/request to change the decision. In case I was too cryptic: This is your game, and so we’re using your rules, and so it’s your call.

Hi @garfieldairlines 

Well, that would be nice, wouldn’t it? And, to be fair, it’s exactly the kind of thing I enjoy doing - so, I’d love to!

However, I am not nearly qualified enough (contrary to my above advice, I did not go to college or Uni), and I suspect those who are are currently too busy fixing things. I will ask around internally to see if I can cooperate with someone on just such a thing, but please don’t get your hopes up - to a certain extent, some of what you ask for is proprietary information, and the rest is likely just beyond my ken. I think the biggest barrier will just be finding someone who understands and who has enough free reign to stop doing what they are currently doing in order to assist me.

Hi @garfieldairlines 

SMBv1 support was removed - not Music Library functionality in general. As was implied, this affected some users and not others. Those who were affected will need to adjust how their Sonos system connects to their Music Library, as there will be no “fix” forthcoming for deliberately removed protocol support. Which is exactly the point that was trying to be made in this thread. Our updated Add your music library to Sonos help page has full instructions.

This change had nothing to do with the new app - it was made at the level of the speaker’s firmware. I’ll admit that the timing was atrocious, however. There were also some users who would see the Music Library object on the Home Screen disappear. That was due to the new app, and it was not something that users could address - that fell on us to address.

I think where this appears disingenuous (on the part of Sonos, not you in particular) is down to the fact that whilst the instructions you linked to may be broadly correct, the bigger issue is that the same code people with local HTTP served libraries from a PC/Mac used to set them up is *still* present in the desktop apps… This is massively confusing for many people, and down right lazy on the part of Sonos for not addressing. (and this is in addition to SMBv1 issues) So, when people installed the updates, effectively their library disappeared and they would use the still available wizards to try and set it up again… The desktop apps have both been updated yet still include the defunct wizards. So when people see that libraries are ‘back’ they keep trying the wizards as quite reasonably in a consumer device, why would setup wizards that can no longer work still be in the official desktop controller? How hard would it have been to only have the add networked drive option in the list? At least then people wouldn’t be looking to continually re-add what they had before and would realise they needed a different approach!! 

And for me, this is the main problem here, Sonos is consumer grade kit, which is not to belittle it in anyway, but means it has to be usable and maintainable by 99% of consumers. Sonos have introduced a load of changes together (and I agree some of the combined timing is atrocious) that mean this is no longer the case. You can spend hours on support calls and still not get resolution. 

This is where people saying that it’s the network is just as galling to people with problems as people breaking community guidelines and just calling people names. 

If people’s systems were working before the update, and the only thing that isn’t working after is Sonos, as a consumer system, it’s on Sonos to do a much better job. It’s not now the responsibility of its existing customers to reverse engineer the changes and rip apart their home networks to get back to a working state. Especially when all the other smart home devices from other companies still work. 

Finally, on the point of indexing… it may well be a small change in terms of lines of code changed, but how on earth did it get past the most basic of regression tests which presumably it must have been run through? It’s not as if the issue is some esoteric classical music tagging edge case, it’s generic compilation albums which are pretty popular items in just about anyone’s local music library and something I’ve never known Sonos to get wrong in about 15 years. 

Hi @Ian_S 

I agree - it could and should all have been handled completely differently. And, although I’d very much like to, I do not have answers for your questions.

Corry P:

I’m one who never lost functionality with the new 80.x app release.  There are usability items missing mostly in queue management but I have confidence those will be addressed.  This community makes clear what the queue etc. issues are.  What doesn’t help are vague posts that describe an issue without adding system details.

This is probably an issue at the bottom of the list, but I want to keep it alive so eventually it can be looked into.  I have a surround setup consisting of Arc-Sub-300s.  Love what it does for classical orchestral in Dolby Atmos.  The only issue is it is not perfectly gapless.  There is not a gap in the traditional sense, but there is an obvious glitch most noticeable when the track change is during a loud portion of the music.  I know this is not app related and probably doesn’t fit this subject, but it’s important to me and hopefully others.

I did create a conversation about this Atmos track change glitch.  I also used the CEO email to send Patrick a video of my system playing a track change that clearly demonstrates this glitch.  The video was also sent to Chris from Audiophile Style whose Atmos system ( not Sonos ) played the same track change flawlessly.

I think there may be few in this community that have the same taste in music that I have, but I could use feedback from those with a system that will play Atmos from either Amazon Music Unlimited or Apple Music.  If you have such a system try the Album Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, Esa-Pekka Salonen with the San Francisco Symphony.  Listen to the track change from track 02 to track 03 and tell me if you hear any irregularities.

Hi @MoPac 

At present, gapless playback of spatial audio is not yet supported. Gapless playback presently works with lossless, stereo audio from Apple Music.

We do plan on bringing this to Sonos in time but it’s no simple task, and, as you rightly point out, there are more pressing concerns at present. The workaround for now is to disable spatial audio playback:

Disable Spatial Music in Sonos to play Lossless

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
     2. Navigate to Settings, and select the appropriate Room.
     3. Under Sound, toggle Spatial Music off.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Ian_S 

I agree - it could and should all have been handled completely differently.

@Corry P - this admission is unprecedented. Bravo. The Spence mea culpa seems to be filtering down, and high time.

Now, fix Spence. 😂

Hi @garfieldairlines 

SMBv1 support was removed - not Music Library functionality in general. As was implied, this affected some users and not others. Those who were affected will need to adjust how their Sonos system connects to their Music Library, as there will be no “fix” forthcoming for deliberately removed protocol support. Which is exactly the point that was trying to be made in this thread. Our updated Add your music library to Sonos help page has full instructions.

This change had nothing to do with the new app - it was made at the level of the speaker’s firmware. I’ll admit that the timing was atrocious, however. There were also some users who would see the Music Library object on the Home Screen disappear. That was due to the new app, and it was not something that users could address - that fell on us to address. 

AirSonic is not supported by Sonos, so I can’t help you in that respect.

There are many alternatives to using Music Library - YouTube Music, iBroadcast.com, Apple Music and others allow you to upload your music collection to the cloud, and stream to Sonos. Plex is also an option. But, anyone who has equipment not limited to SMBv1 only should be able to use Music Library on their Sonos systems without issue.

in addition to our help pages, there are several threads on this topic. These are the two most useful:

I hope this helps.

Thanks for posting but I tried this again and again and it still doesn’t work for me.  

This phrase stuck out; “anyone who has equipment not limited to SMBv1”. Does this mean that older speakers do not support anything other than SMBv1 and will no longer work with music libraries or does this refer to the computer/NAS?  I am assuming not the latter but clarification on this point might solve my problem. 

I have a Music library running on a new iMac - so I am assuming that it is not the computer that is the issue here with regard the SMB version being.

If it is a problem with older equipment then I should be able to remove the older equipment leaving the new speakers and presumably it should work.

This phrase stuck out; “anyone who has equipment not limited to SMBv1”. Does this mean that older speakers do not support anything other than SMBv1 and will no longer work with music libraries or does this refer to the computer/NAS?  I am assuming not the latter but clarification on this point might solve my problem. 

I have a Music library running on a new iMac - so I am assuming that it is not the computer that is the issue here with regard the SMB version being.

If it is a problem with older equipment then I should be able to remove the older equipment leaving the

‘older’ speakers in the sense that they only run on S1 software are limited to needing SMBv1 and will continue to work with it, unlike the newer, updated speakers and App.

The ‘equipment’ being referred to in bold is computer/NAS type devices, not Sonos devices.  If you can enable SMBv2 or above you should be fine with newer Sonos Apps..

If it is a problem with older equipment then I should be able to remove the older equipment leaving the

‘older’ speakers in the sense that they only run on S1 software are limited to needing SMBv1 and will continue to work with it, unlike the newer, updated speakers and App.

The ‘equipment’ being referred to in bold in computer/NAS type devices, not Sonos devices.  If you can enable SMBv2 or above you should be fine with newer Sonos Apps..

So there are older speakers that will work on SMBv1 but not capable of supporting the later versions of the protocol and effectively my solution is to remove them from my set up?

As I’m running a new Mac I’m assuming that it is not defaulting to using SMBv1 - is this correct?

Thanks.

Hi @R999 

Basically, what @sjw said.

In addition, though, any computer should be capable of running SMBv2/3 (possibly barring Windows 95 or something equally outdated) - it’s just older NAS drives that would be limited to SMBv1. 

There certainly seems to be quite a few people with Macs that are still having issues with SMBv1, however. I’m not overly familiar with Macs, but I understand the steps outlined at https://support.apple.com/102050 should address this issue, but we are investigating further. My recommendation to these people would be to upload their libraries to a cloud-based location (like iBroadcast.com or YouTube Music) - not only will you be able to listen to your library, but it serves as a useful backup too.

I hope this helps.

Hi @R999 

So there are older speakers that will work on SMBv1 but not capable of supporting the later versions of the protocol and effectively my solution is to remove them from my set up?

All Sonos speakers on S2 software support SMBv2/3.

No speakers on S1 software support SMBv2/3, but they all support SMBv1.

As I’m running a new Mac I’m assuming that it is not defaulting to using SMBv1 - is this correct?

I certainly hope so! See the link in my previous post, however.

I hope this helps.

Hi @R999 

All Sonos speakers on S2 software support SMBv2/3.

No speakers on S1 software support SMBv2/3, but they all support SMBv1.

I certainly hope so! See the link in my previous post, however.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, guys.  Clarified my last few remaining crumbs of hope.  I think I’m at the end of my journey - nothing has worked for me and I have realised this product is simply not for me - the moment I’m having to adjust code using an article intended only for qualified Apple administrators just to get some speakers working has to the end.   

Hi @MoPac 

At present, gapless playback of spatial audio is not yet supported. Gapless playback presently works with lossless, stereo audio from Apple Music.

We do plan on bringing this to Sonos in time but it’s no simple task, and, as you rightly point out, there are more pressing concerns at present. The workaround for now is to disable spatial audio playback:

Disable Spatial Music in Sonos to play Lossless

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
     2. Navigate to Settings, and select the appropriate Room.
     3. Under Sound, toggle Spatial Music off.

I hope this helps.

Bravo @Corry P !
I’m happy to see at long last the official comment from Sonos representative about the issue with gapless playback of spatial audio and the plans to fix it.

I wrote about this problem months ago in the dedicated thread about gapless playback, and that time there were no comment from Sonos staff that they know and acknowledge the issue.

I’m listening a lot of albums with gapless track sequences, so I have to keep Spatial Music on my Era 300 turned off most of the time. I really hate those pauses and glitches instead of perfect gapless playing like on vinyl or CD. They ruin the listening experience and drive me crazy.
I’m sure that I’m not alone about this.

Thanks for the help, guys.  Clarified my last few remaining crumbs of hope.  I think I’m at the end of my journey - nothing has worked for me and I have realised this product is simply not for me - the moment I’m having to adjust code using an article intended only for qualified Apple administrators just to get some speakers working has to the end.

I’m pretty much there too. 

I’ve been a customer of Sonos since around 2007/8. And today I realised I’ve just given up.

Maybe it’s an opportunity to try something new.

Thanks for the help, guys.  Clarified my last few remaining crumbs of hope.  I think I’m at the end of my journey - nothing has worked for me and I have realised this product is simply not for me - the moment I’m having to adjust code using an article intended only for qualified Apple administrators just to get some speakers working has to the end.

I’m pretty much there too. 

I’ve been a customer of Sonos since around 2007/8. And today I realised I’ve just given up.

Maybe it’s an opportunity to try something new.

Bluesound released new hardware today, it’s a sign 🤣

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

The last time there was a big about turn from Sonos was back in March 2020 when a public uproar forced Sonos to reverse the bricking of old speakers tactic as part of the discount for new speakers, with an apology from Spence. At that time Sonos apologists had said for weeks prior to the about turn that Sonos does not do about turns. There was no little consternation from said apologists at that time when Sonos about turned; from one of them even about how upset he was that other users would not have to suffer from what he did via his old speakers being bricked in his rush to upgrade with the 30% discount on offer. Those that know how to search, will find this sentiment in his posts from that time.

To be clear here, there was no about turn here. Every Sonos that was bricked remained bricked.

There was a policy change that removed the requirement that equipment be bricked.

You can be sure I asked, as I lost four very expensive Sonos by jumping on the upgrade offer right away instead of waiting. While I was happy for folks that got the better deal later I don’t believe I wished anyone ill, only noted that Sonos had upset a lot of loyal, early adopters with the decision to just write them and their concerns off.

I still think what I got was a pretty good deal, just not as good as I could have gotten by waiting, so more butt-hurt than really angry.

The last time there was a big about turn from Sonos was back in March 2020 when a public uproar forced Sonos to reverse the bricking of old speakers tactic as part of the discount for new speakers, with an apology from Spence. At that time Sonos apologists had said for weeks prior to the about turn that Sonos does not do about turns. There was no little consternation from said apologists at that time when Sonos about turned; from one of them even about how upset he was that other users would not have to suffer from what he did via his old speakers being bricked in his rush to upgrade with the 30% discount on offer. Those that know how to search, will find this sentiment in his posts from that time.

To be clear here, there was no about turn here. Every Sonos that was bricked remained bricked.

There was a policy change that removed the requirement that equipment be bricked.

You can be sure I asked, as I lost four very expensive Sonos by jumping on the upgrade offer right away instead of waiting. While I was happy for folks that got the better deal later I don’t believe I wished anyone ill, only noted that Sonos had upset a lot of loyal, early adopters with the decision to just write them and their concerns off.

I still think what I got was a pretty good deal, just not as good as I could have gotten by waiting, so more butt-hurt than really angry.

I was not referring to you, although your response is still useful as a summary for those that were not here in March 2020.

In my book, the policy change WAS the about turn; Sonos fans, for weeks prior to it, were claiming it can’t happen and were left with egg on their face when it happened along with the first of many Spence apologies.

Many must have felt like you have said in the last part of your quote. But there was one notable, that is still here and knows who he is, that expressed strong unhappiness that folks that did not jump to bite at the Sonos carrot the day it was held out, were now getting a better deal than what he did. More anger there, less butt-hurt.

I do not recall what you said at the time, but I have no trouble accepting what you say to be how it would have been said by you then.

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

The app is getting worse and my whole speaker system not use able, nothing is happening to resolve this!! What a pile of Sh*t. Used to love these products and brand now they just make me angry every day!

The new app is horrible. My system sucks now!! Huge fail!!

Finally approaching the point of giving up with this. 

I’ve had Sonos since a bought a BU250 and a Play5 many years ago.

i now have two Amps, a Port, and 6 other speakers plus a Move and a pair of Roams. I can’t use it as I want to because the Music Library function (non-function) is a joke. 

I won’t be buying any more after this shambles. 

Parents in law have a system, on my recommendation, comprising three Ones and a Beam. They can no longer play the music I spent hours ripping for them unless they shell out for a new NAS drive. Thankfully they are still on S2 because of the age of their iPad otherwise I’d be in even more bad books.

Biggest own goal since Ratner dissed his own products

i now have two Amps, a Port, and 6 other speakers plus a Move and a pair of Roams. I can’t use it as I want to because the Music Library function (non-function) is a joke. 

Parents in law have a system, on my recommendation, comprising three Ones and a Beam. They can no longer play the music I spent hours ripping for them unless they shell out for a new NAS drive. Thankfully they are still on S2 because of the age of their iPad otherwise I’d be in even more bad books.

If the Parents-in-Law have a NAS that only supports SMBv1, then they likely need to upgrade anyway, what NAS make/model is it?

Apparently Sonos has changed its mind about resurrecting the old app because, according to Spence, it’s “less reliable and less stable than you remember.” But then he goes on to suggest that it’s too buggy and unreliable because of the latest firmware updates. So Mr Spence, is the problem our memories, or the fact that your organisation has screwed not only the new app but also the old app in a unique feat of corporate incompetence? I think we know the answer.

One has to hand it to Spence. The chutzpah, the arrogance, the dissembling, the utter contempt for customers, all while continuing to trouser a small fortune in remuneration whilst playing us all for fools. He’s not fit to run a bath, let alone a business like Sonos.

If the Parents-in-Law have a NAS that only supports SMBv1, then they likely need to upgrade anyway, what NAS make/model is it?

It’s a Netgear ReadyNAS duo. They have no need to update it. Its SOLE function is a server for them to listen to their CDs on Sonos and to view their old photos on the TV. There’s nothing that is a security issue so, for them, it is/was a satisfactory unit. Until now

It’s a Netgear ReadyNAS duo. They have no need to update it. Its SOLE function is a server for them to listen to their CDs on Sonos and to view their old photos on the TV. There’s nothing that is a security issue so, for them, it is/was a satisfactory unit. Until now

FWIW anyway, it looks like that NAS can be upgraded to SMBv2 (or higher) even though it’s no longer supported by the manufacturer, which will allow it to be used with the new Sonos App. See this link:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Old-Legacy/How-to-Enable-SMB2-on-ReadyNAS-Duo-running-RAIDiator-4-1-16/td-p/1705629