Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

Initial vs. sustained are often different. 

The next quarter will no doubt be the one where if people have stopped investing in extending systems, or have returned products due to the app issues, we’ll see a better picture. 

Also, it appears that word is spreading amongst tech sites, bloggers, reviewers, best buy guides etc. that Sonos is no longer the go-to solution because of the issues, and that is more likely to hit in the run up to Xmas, not to mention the distrust they are building up in the professional installation community where Sonos have hung installers out to dry. 

The next quarter has the potential to be very poor, and not just because they have had to delay new products. 

Sure, that’s entirely possible. But the reviews specifically of the Ace on consumer press and ecommerce sites are excellent, so there is a potential scenario where Sonos sorts itself out by October and Q4 ends up being a quarter of huge demand for the headphones this Christmas. 

Everyone on this forum is acutely across the current Sonos app situation, and those experiencing issues come to the forum and Reddit to find out what is going on - and tech sites and bloggers will always report on things like this - so the picture to us is skewed as one of doom-and-gloom. But anyone who isn't having issues (and God help them if they were to ever mention it), especially if they stream music rather than using music libraries, will be in the many millions - a very healthy and strong market - and so will be oblivious to what is happening and are prime candidates to buy further into the Sonos brand. 

Only time will tell which way this tips!

alarms still aren’t working on my Sonos system. When I called support, we troubleshooted for about 40mins but in the end they said it’s not something they can resolve and I’d need to wait for the update. Looks like these updates just keep getting pushed later and later now.

alarms still aren’t working on my Sonos system. When I called support, we troubleshooted for about 40mins but in the end they said it’s something they can resolve and I’d need to wait for the update. Looks like these updates just keep getting pushed later and later now.

Edit - I believe your alarms aren’t saving in the app. 

I was trying to help someone last week who had the same issue, so hopefully that requirement for some people’s systems has been logged...

alarms still aren’t working on my Sonos system. When I called support, we troubleshooted for about 40mins but in the end they said it’s something they can resolve and I’d need to wait for the update. Looks like these updates just keep getting pushed later and later now.

I was trying to help someone last week who had the same issue, so hopefully that requirement for some people’s systems has been logged...

Yes that’s right, alarms aren’t saving. I hope it can get resolved soon

I don’t really use Sonos Alarms very much and mostly prefer Alexa alarms on Sonos instead. Have you tried a reboot of the network to see if that may solve the issue and/or the relevant speaker too. I suggest it because the Sonos alarms here appear to be working and saving okay, so perhaps a reboot will maybe fix things as the Alarms are stored on the player.

Sure, that’s entirely possible. But the reviews specifically of the Ace on consumer press and ecommerce sites are excellent, so there is a potential scenario where Sonos sorts itself out by October and Q4 ends up being a quarter of huge demand for the headphones this Christmas. 

Everyone on this forum is acutely across the current Sonos app situation, and those experiencing issues come to the forum and Reddit to find out what is going on - and tech sites and bloggers will always report on things like this - so the picture to us is skewed as one of doom-and-gloom. But anyone who isn't having issues (and God help them if they were to ever mention it), especially if they stream music rather than using music libraries, will be in the many millions - a very healthy and strong market - and so will be oblivious to what is happening and are prime candidates to buy further into the Sonos brand. 

I think the fact that Sonos have postponed two product launches this year in the run up to Xmas, have decided they need to sink $20-30m into the new app, and downgraded year end forecasts leans far more to the pessimistic side than your rose tinted view above. If that were more the case, then it would just be us old local library dinosaurs being roasted and Sonos could claim it was all a great success and proceed with great fanfare on new products… if most of your customers were happy, why wouldn’t you? 

If any professional installers are reading this I’ll let them chime in on their thoughts on Sonos as a product/company after the last 3 months. 

I don’t really use Sonos Alarms very much and mostly prefer Alexa alarms on Sonos instead. Have you tried a reboot of the network to see if that may solve the issue and/or the relevant speaker too. I suggest it because the Sonos alarms here appear to be working and saving okay, so perhaps a reboot will maybe fix things as the Alarms are stored on the player.

Thanks for your help. I’ve tried rebooting all the speakers and turning off and on my WiFi router. Tried it a few weeks ago and just tried it again now to see if any improvement. 

when I save an alarm, it looks like it has saved. But then when I swipe up and close the app, reopen it and go back onto the Alarms page, it’s disappeared. 

Thanks for your help. I’ve tried rebooting all the speakers and turning off and on my WiFi router. Tried it a few weeks ago and just tried it again now to see if any improvement. 

whe I save an alarm, it looks like it has saved. But then when I swipe up and close the app, reopen it and go back onto the Alarms page, it’s disappeared. 

I’ve just checked again here by creating/saving a new 5am Alarm, then fully closing my own App (slide off screen) but the Alarm just stays ‘put’ here when I reopen it.

Have you tried a different Sonos player, or even a different controller App (if you have those available to you?) to see if that makes any difference.

I was saving the alarm using a Sonos Beam in the Main Bedroom and using an Apple iOS controller.

I think the fact that Sonos have postponed two product launches this year in the run up to Xmas, have decided they need to sink $20-30m into the new app, and downgraded year end forecasts leans far more to the pessimistic side than your rose tinted view above. If that were more the case, then it would just be us old local library dinosaurs being roasted and Sonos could claim it was all a great success and proceed with great fanfare on new products… if most of your customers were happy, why wouldn’t you? 

If any professional installers are reading this I’ll let them chime in on their thoughts on Sonos as a product/company after the last 3 months. 

It’s not my view. It’s a potential scenario where people who have not encountered the negative press or who aren’t having issues buy into Sonos’ new headphones. It is very similar to the potential scenario where Sonos has a terrible quarter for Ace sales. I believe both scenarios are of equal validity, one just happens to be one you disagree with.

Postponing two product launches, which has led to their reforecast, is down to their need to focus on fixing the app - it’s not the result of poor Ace sales. My point is entirely about Ace sales, not about their end of year revenue which they are right to be pessimistic about. 

when I save an alarm, it looks like it has saved. But then when I swipe up and close the app, reopen it and go back onto the Alarms page, it’s disappeared. 

You aren’t doing anything wrong. Hopefully Sonos fixes the app, firmware and figures out how to run the cloud service reliably in our lifetimes and maybe things like this will work for everyone again. 

I suspect Sonos will come to regret launching the headset because it is premium priced and offers no real benefit over its competition unless you own a sonos soundbar (which is very much a niche market) and really want that feature.  Going into a very crowded segment as a new entrant means adding something that doesn’t exist in the market or you can do it much better - this is not clear outside if you own a Sonos soundbar (not their regular speakers). 

Despite the app furore (which has forced them to reforecast their full-year number downwards due to delaying launch of two new products), Sonos last week reported a 6% year-on-year revenue rise, “driven by the success of the Sonos Ace”.

Spin is a wonderful thing for public announcements, but the devil is in the detail.

In their published figures, prior 3 month year on year was healthy and grew, they also had some significant expenses during the same period last year as a result of planned restructuring and abandonment costs.

If you look at the prior 9 month year on year figures beside them it is a different story. Down in all regions with the EMEA taking a significant downturn. The 9 month figures also includes the end of previous year holiday sales figures.

You would hope a small time window including a new product launch would see a rise. Most products do as it’s the pre-order shipments and early adopters driving those sales.

The next quarter is going to be the interesting one. Depending which way the US economy goes the US region could end up looking more like the EMEA region does over 9 months.

I agree there will be many buyers either online or in store who won’t even have looked at reviews, recommendations or blogs online,

But shoppers are much wiser to the sales in the run up the holiday season that have been happening the past few years. Sonos are going to be in a difficult market when up against Bose QC, Sony who are recognised, generally well regarded consumer names at this price point and get significant discounts and Apple. If the US economy is turning are Sonos able to discount enough to stay in competition or when faced with a one off luxury item $200-$300 spend for existing highly rated products vs a $400+ spend on a new entrant, will enough pay the extra on the new entrant.

I suspect Sonos will come to regret launching the headset because it is premium priced and offers no real benefit over its competition unless you own a sonos soundbar (which is very much a niche market) and really want that feature.  Going into a very crowded segment as a new entrant means adding something that doesn’t exist in the market or you can do it much better - this is not clear outside if you own a Sonos soundbar (not their regular speakers). 

Despite the app furore (which has forced them to reforecast their full-year number downwards due to delaying launch of two new products), Sonos last week reported a 6% year-on-year revenue rise, “driven by the success of the Sonos Ace”.

Spin is a wonderful thing for public announcements, but the devil is in the detail.

In their published figures, prior 3 month year on year was healthy and grew, they also had some significant expenses during the same period last year as a result of planned restructuring and abandonment costs.

If you look at the prior 9 month year on year figures beside them it is a different story. Down in all regions with the EMEA taking a significant downturn. The 9 month figures also includes the end of previous year holiday sales figures.

You would hope a small time window including a new product launch would see a rise. Most products do as it’s the pre-order shipments and early adopters driving those sales.

The next quarter is going to be the interesting one. Depending which way the US economy goes the US region could end up looking more like the EMEA region does over 9 months.

I agree there will be many buyers either online or in store who won’t even have looked at reviews, recommendations or blogs online,

But shoppers are much wiser to the sales in the run up the holiday season that have been happening the past few years. Sonos are going to be in a difficult market when up against Bose QC, Sony who are recognised, generally well regarded consumer names at this price point and get significant discounts and Apple. If the US economy is turning are Sonos able to discount enough to stay in competition or when faced with a one off luxury item $200-$300 spend for existing highly rated products vs a $400+ spend on a new entrant, will enough pay the extra on the new entrant.

I agree with all your words! 👍🏻 Interesting info too. (All I was doing was just making a very quick point in response to someone saying Sonos would regret releasing the Ace, by saying their first quarter looked like good sales. Sonos has to be truthful to its investors about what is and isn’t selling. So I was just quoting the facts that Sonos put out.)

whe I save an alarm, it looks like it has saved. But then when I swipe up and close the app, reopen it and go back onto the Alarms page, it’s disappeared. 

I’ve just checked again here by creating/saving a new 5am Alarm, then fully closing my own App (slide off screen) but the Alarm just stays ‘put’ here when I reopen it.

Have you tried a different Sonos player, or even a different controller App (if you have those available to you?) to see if that makes any difference.

I was saving the alarm using a Sonos Beam in the Main Bedroom and using an Apple iOS controller.

Thanks for the help and for attaching the GIF. Mine sadly isn’t working like that. Actually I realised I don’t even need to close the app - if I just go back, and then return to the Alarms page, it disappears. I’ve tried on my iPad as well as iPhone. I filmed a screen recording but can’t work out how to upload it here 

Thanks for the help and for attaching the GIF. Mine sadly isn’t working like that. Actually I realised I don’t even need to close the app - if I just go back, and then return to the Alarms page, it disappears. I’ve tried on my iPad as well as iPhone

@ss1234,

Your community profile lists …

• Sonos One SL
  • Play:1
  • Play:3
  • Connect

Have you tried the alarm using a different speaker/room too?

@ss1234,

• Sonos One SL
  • Connect

Yes, I’ve tried on each speaker - same issue each time sadly

@ss1234,

• Sonos One SL
  • Connect

Does anybody think this might be an NTP server/network timezone issue, where an NTP server hasn’t be correctly] allocated at router level to provide the speakers with the time info? The app might have the right timezone assigned to it in the settings, but if the speaker can’t get the current time from the router, it might be causing the alarm set to fail…? Just a thought.

Just to add some further (different) thoughts to @Rhonny’s suggestion above…

My initial thoughts were along a slightly different line. I was thinking that the older products might perhaps be really short on storage space. See this chart:

So I was thinking if there might be insufficient space on one of the ‘old’ devices to perhaps save the Alarm settings? The product with the most memory available is the One SL, so I just wondered if things might work with the other ‘old’ devices powered off and then the router and One SL only rebooted and then just see if the Alarm might work/save with just the One SL operating standalone.

… just a bit of a guess however on my part. Removing some things (services/playlists etc.) perhaps then might also remedy the issue.

I perhaps should have mentioned checking both the Apple App Store and the Sonos App itself for any ‘App’ and device ‘Firmware’ updates, if not checked already. Check the ‘About’ box in the App, just to ensure all listed products are using the same version of the firmware.

So is worth downloading the App ? , i have resisted this long !

Regards

Thanks @Rhonny and @Ken_Griffiths for trying to help. I’ve just checked and both the iOS app and the Sonos system are up to date (both are set to auto update as well). All the speakers are on 16.3.1 build 80.1-55240.

if the issue is to do with the timezone data not being available for the speaker, do you know how I might be able to resolve this please?

Thanks a lot for your support

So is worth downloading the App ? , i have resisted this long !

Regards

If you are on 16.1 app and firmware I wouldn’t download it unless you are going to buy new products like the ace

So its been 2.5 weeks since the mea culpa and the app is still slow and just overall uggh…

Any chance we can just go back to the old app? 

This release might be a pivotal point in the future of the company….

Thanks @Rhonny and @Ken_Griffiths for trying to help. I’ve just checked and both the iOS app and the Sonos system are up to date (both are set to auto update as well). All the speakers are on 16.3.1 build 80.1-55240.

if the issue is to do with the timezone data not being available for the speaker, do you know how I might be able to resolve this please?

Thanks a lot for your support

You can set the time zone in Settings>Manage>Date and Time 

@ss1234,

• Sonos One SL
  • Connect

Does anybody think this might be an NTP server/network timezone issue, where an NTP server hasn’t be correctly] allocated at router level to provide the speakers with the time info? The app might have the right timezone assigned to it in the settings, but if the speaker can’t get the current time from the router, it might be causing the alarm set to fail…? Just a thought.

I’d be very surprised if most consumer routers had an ntp server service in them.

The router itself will have an ntp client to update its own time, but for home/smb use it’s a server package and config that would be an unnecessary thing for the manufacturer to include and provide.

Devices inside the network that need ntp will more likely have an internet ntp pool address in their default config because it is accurate enough and its unrealistic to expect a home user have their own ntp server. Devices could even ignore any dhcp time server options they receive depending on manufacturer setup.

I’m not sure how Sonos sets the time on new devices, at a guess, as part of initial setup, the controller app uses the tablet/mobile time to set the Sonos device time, then once it’s connected to the WiFi network it may perform an ntp sync with an external pool at intervals. Future manual time/timezone changes probably get set in the speakers when changed in app.

For enterprise usage, it would be odd having the router provide it rather than it being distributed from a separate server.