Skip to main content

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

So further to my post yesterday I’ve dug out an old Android phone (I use an iPhone) and downloaded the old app from APKmirror. I’m once again able to use my system properly and am now searching the internet for a replacement system; if anyone has a good suggestion for a NAS based setup please feel free to share 😊

This updated app has rendered my system almost useless. All the albums and playlists I had setup no longer exist in it. The new search is terrible and if I go to the effort os trawling through my music library and add an album as a favourite the it still doesn't show up anywhere. In fact this update is mind-bogglingly bad. The only thing that's saved me from total disaster is that I also have the app on my tablet and I managed to get to turn off automatic updates before the damage was done.

The arrogance of Sonos is breathtaking. If they were so confident they should have given the app a new version, then glitches could have been ironed out and using the previous version would be easy.

So now I'm looking for alternatives,  does anyone know of any?

Try Sonopad

Is anyone else having trouble authorizing Apple Music on the new app?

I am having trouble with Amazon music. Even after authorising the service many times over, it still does not work on the new app!

Closest real world alternative is Apple's homepods but limited when it comes to sound bars, wet room applications, biggest speakers, etc. 

After the frustration from yesterday I see only practical way to go is huge press from the community on all public channels - here, redit, other forums, participating in the so called Sonos events not letting them deny they didn't know there was a problem with app and overall experience, putting YouTube channels and media sponsored in any way by Sonos on ground. After investing tons of money no-one will start to sell it just like that. And as hardware there still ok so let us navigate them in their own mess with proper and firm customer feedback!

p.s. sleeptimer is what upset me right away after the update. They cannot tell me that when I feel I'm falling asleep a should get up of the bed going to other room with pc to set it. Amateurish to “forget” the sleep timer, twice more amateurish to give such response in official support. I fund my workaround last night using Home Assistant and HomeKit and now is even better with one press in my Apple's Home up all is set but this not the way and this not what ppl paying to Sonos after all. 

p.s.2 Sonos, crisis management at your end is even worse than newly released up. Think about is as it will be crucial part of your business the way you're heading to.

Sensible suggestions. Sounds like you did get a good night’s sleep in the end!  :)

I recognize the importance of continuously evolving user experience (UX) design, and I understand the specific dependencies on iOS and Android platforms.

here just some pointer from my perpective:

I am having trouble with Amazon music. Even after authorising the service many times over, it still does not work on the new app!

Same here with Amazon Music @SarahN - I’m guessing that the engineers are still perhaps working on a few things behind the scenes at the moment. 

Your UX team should be embarrassed to have their names attached to such a massive misstep. Shame on you.

There’s a lot of fire and brimstone on here, but I actually disagree.  I think the underlying design is solid, with a few rough edges, but it is overall more attractive and easier to use.

Of course there are many elements missing.  I’ve mentioned elsewhere that there are clues that this is due to the app being released too early / rushed, which of course is inexcusable, as opposed to those elements being actively removed altogether.  I’m not defending it — I just think there is good work to build on here, the fundamentals are good — but the product is unfinished.  I don’t know why it was released in this state, but as long as there is momentum in putting things right, I’m prepared to wait and see. 

It looks dull and boring to me. No colour or artwork so far.

Same here with Amazon Music @SarahN - I’m guessing that the engineers are still perhaps working on a few things behind the scenes at the moment. 

Thanks Ken - at least I know it’s not just me lol.

I can now access my saved Amazon content via My Sonos but cannot search new stuff. Is that the same for you @Ken_Griffiths ?

99% of the music I listen to is stored on my NAS.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would release apps that have inferior functionality than the previous version? 

For goodness sake get the alarm and sleep timer functions reinstated.  A really basic error.

This updated app has rendered my system almost useless. All the albums and playlists I had setup no longer exist in it. The new search is terrible and if I go to the effort os trawling through my music library and add an album as a favourite the it still doesn't show up anywhere. In fact this update is mind-bogglingly bad. The only thing that's saved me from total disaster is that I also have the app on my tablet and I managed to get to turn off automatic updates before the damage was done.

The arrogance of Sonos is breathtaking. If they were so confident they should have given the app a new version, then glitches could have been ironed out and using the previous version would be easy.

Try Sonopad

I’m looking at Sonophone/Sonopad. Certainly looks interesting. Checking that it will allow use of my local server based (NAS) library. 

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would release apps that have inferior functionality than the previous version? 

From you listening to locally stored music files SONOS cannot benefit even theoretically. But from you pushed to listen music from streaming platforms through SONOS app and gear most probably they can make a profit. 

But I really wonder what they will benefit from scratching the sleep timer and alarms. And what means “these feature will be back via updates in July”...Which July, 2024 or some other July. Many things appear to be very very wrong here.

Did another update drop my few playlist have sorted themselves out now.

Thanks Ken - at least I know it’s not just me lol.

I can now access my saved Amazon content via My Sonos but cannot search new stuff. Is that the same for you @Ken_Griffiths ?

It varies, I’m not seeing much of anything in that service at the moment, nor via the ‘Web App’ - so I’m sure things are a ‘work in progress’. I’ll just wait and see what happens later. There’s no rush, as I can still play on Sonos using Alexa/SVC voice assistants, or via the Amazon Music ‘native’ App.

Everything has gone wonky now. Can't access my library at all. Taking a while to load. Argh!

Try Sonopad

I’m looking at Sonophone/Sonopad. Certainly looks interesting. Checking that it will allow use of my local server based (NAS) library. 

It works fine with mine.

This is all I am getting now since looking at for the last hour or so.

Weird. Now Apple music doesn't work at all. Might try restarting my phone.

My Subsonic → Bonob integration is gone with the update.

I don’t own any Spotify/Deezer/Whateverelse streaming platform account, meaning that my system was suddenly a brick.

I’m lucky I’m on Android and I could download a older .apk file to get it to work again.

Will it be possible to install custom local music providers again or should I sell my stereo system ?

Try Sonopad

Do let us know. I’d be most grateful! ☺️ 

checking my iPad the app prompted me to update. no way. the inbox has a mail “our best update yet” haha.

From you listening to locally stored music files SONOS cannot benefit even theoretically. But from you pushed to listen music from streaming platforms through SONOS app and gear most probably they can make a profit. 

But I really wonder what they will benefit from scratching the sleep timer and alarms. And what means “these feature will be back via updates in July”...Which July, 2024 or some other July. Many things appear to be very very wrong here.

@Me40 Just as Sonos don’t make money from me listening to my local music, they don’t make any money from me listening to Spotify or Apple music or any other service that I’m aware of (except their own).

They make money from me wanting to listen to music (or TV etc) in another room and buying (or upgrading) another speaker - the same as if I wanted to listen through a service.  I don’t get your point.  I get the point that users listening to local files are much less than ‘streamers’ - but don’t see where the profit you referred to comes from.

Some feedback after about a day of use with the new app….

Positive/Neutral

* I don’t mind the change in interface from the tabbed interface to the new one. Maybe I actually like it, but will need to use a bit longer to decide on that.

Negative

* Feature removal: I echo what others have been saying about removal of features. It’s ridiculous that features like alarms, sleep timer, queue management, and local library search have been removed (even if some or all will come back in a few weeks/months). This new app should still be in beta.

* Performance: The new app seems to load pages really slowly. When I switch to a new page/view it takes a couple of seconds to load the graphics. What’s that all about? Even putting aside all the other issues this causes the app (and by extension the system) to feel low-quality rather than premium.

* Services: I can’t access Amazon Music from the app. When I browse to it in “Your services” I’m just presented with the message “No content items available”. It works fine when accessed from the Windows desktop app.

* Local library: When I first installed the app yesterday I had access to my personal music library (which I have stored on a NAS) via the “Your sources” section of the app. But when I opened the app today the “Your Sources” section seems to have disappeared from the app so I no longer have access from the app. I can still access from the Windows desktop app so there is no issue with the storage location/device.

* Favourites lists: This seems like a minor thing compared to all the other issues but when I browse to favourites I don’t like the new way of listing albums and stations. Previously these were listed with small icons in a single column (currently still being used for recently added section). Now they are listed in a 2-column layout with large icons. Please give us option to use single column + small icon list. Also, you have started using icons to indicate which service each favourite came from (in the subtext under favourite names). I don’t like this because these icons are very small and can be hard to see. Also some services don’t seem to provide icons, so I have a number of favourites which just say “Live Station” or “Album” with no clear indication of their source. I’d prefer it if you ditched the icons and went back to using text to indicate the source (or providing user option on this).

It’s hard to believe that they’ve effectively released a pre-beta version with functionality missing without providing a way to revert to a previous stable version while they resolve the outstanding issues/missing features.

I’m just so disappointed that they just expect us to test it and wait until they release newer versions - do they still expect us to recommend Sonos while all this mess is going on? 

This seems to be a total disaster across the board. Few people are even bothering to comment on the actual new UI design because there are so many other important problems to fix first !! 

they don’t make any money from me listening to Spotify or Apple music or any other service that I’m aware of (except their own).

They could be getting a revenue stream from the service for what is played from their devices, we can only speculate. Someone with the interest to do so may parse their financial statements to check because those statements are now in the public domain I am sure. 

But their neglect of NAS is just a business case decision because the Sonos user base that uses NAS is said by Sonos to be less than 5% of the total user base. This is a user preference driven outcome over the last ten years, and Sonos is simply orienting itself to it.

I wish they would make S1 work on all devices and let users that want NAS to go back to it, even if it means forsaking some S2 eye candy. Can’t be hard to do?