Skip to main content

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

Can't get current track to display as 'now playing' screen - this rubbish doesn't even qualify as a delta version. 

The ‘Web App’ doesn’t have a full ‘now playing’ screen - I only see one in the Sonos App. I guess this would have to go forward as a feature request. Anyhow, it’s +1 from me.

The Web App is very basic and for most part and is just a ‘remote’ App interface for basic playback functionality. Its not clear if Sonos intend to extend that functionality either, as clearly the main-user market is more towards mobile users and the phone/tablet controller devices.

Thanks for the explanation!  I'll make do with the Web app and not update the actual app.  I use the Sonos speakers as LMS endpoints in most sessions, in any case. Cheers. 

The new app keeps on cutting audio, and it is still slow to update videos 

This update is terrible, I want the old app back! It is completely focused on streaming services, but many steps back if you use a local NAS with your own music.

If this is not solved soon I will sell all my Sonos equipment.

Another thing I spotted in the web app is that if you click on the album art in the bottom corner it tries to open something but it’s just basically a blank screen, wonder what this is meant to be?

It’d also be nice for there to be a better now playing style view so things like the album art/track/album/artist stuff could be made a bit bigger as opposed to a bar at the bottom - though this isn’t too far off what places like tidal already do. (They do have playlist view scrolling through the actual playlist at the active track though).

I still maintain this is a good idea but has a long way to go before sonos can even think of it replacing the desktop apps, having all the features from them in the web app would be nice to begin with.

Although this is a pretty low-priority complaint, the update also removed last.fm service from the app. This means I can no longer scrobble listens of my local music.

Just figured I’d add this to the running list of disappointing and frustrating changes/omissions that have come with this new app update.

Well, oddly, it turns out I’m my account is actually still scrobbling from my local library, despite no apparent way to enable/disable last.fm scrobbling from within the Sonos app. I guess there’s some hidden last.fm account that got carried over from the previous version (thank goodness!).

Why no warning that many basic features such as queue editing have been removed? Any way of downgrading to previous app? This is very much unusable at the moment!

Why no warning that many basic features such as queue editing have been removed? Any way of downgrading to previous app? This is much unusable at the moment!

No one would use it. The new product (headphones or Roam 2)) is probably tied to the app, + earnings and executive bonuses prob depend on it launching on time, whether the app is missing features or not. 

This update should be withdrawn. It is clearly not fit for purpose. Basic things like being able to manage the queue is the reason for having something that can access multiple services. Weirdly lazy.

Changing line-out mode for my port is GONE

Why no warning that many basic features such as queue editing have been removed? Any way of downgrading to previous app? This is much unusable at the moment!

And no search option for you local smb Nas unbelievable 

This update should be withdrawn. It is clearly not fit for purpose. Basic things like being able to manage the queue is the reason for having something that can access multiple services. Weirdly lazy.

I agree 100%. How can this have been tested? The most basic, fundamental operations do not work.

I am glad for once I didn’t update immediately 

hoping I won’t get forced into updating in the near future as all the issues reported here are not good 

@skullc   After I made the huge of mistake updating my iPhone app and realizing how much was missing I quickly messaged my husband and all my friends and family members who have Sonos systems to turn off auto update immediately until these issues were addressed by Sonos. 

How did this allow THREE options to adjust volume in one panel?

1- the bar at the bottom

2- the bar at the bottom of the side pane

3- the button next to the pause button

yet we have

• no way to add items to the queue
  • no way to shuffle items around in the queue
  • no way to remove items from the queue
  • no way to see the queue without having to follow it to the now playing track
  • a click button over the album art which loads a placeholder to a panel which does basically nothing
  • no dark/light mode options

Well, my app just upgraded today and I see Sonos has destroyed the app.  Group volume doesn’t even work.  Some of rooms increase while others don’t.  What happened, did we even beta test this horrible app?

Well, my app just upgraded today and I see Sonos has destroyed the app.  Group volume doesn’t even work.  Some of rooms increase while others don’t.  What happened, did we even beta test this horrible app?

Well they probably did, but now you can be part of another round of beta testing as they (hopefully) add back missing features. 

What has happened to Sonos, this app is a disaster!

You and everyone else that forgot to turn off auto app updates are the beta testers for Sonos now. 😪

I leave Bluetooth OFF on my mobile devices, so guess what I see when I open the new iOS app? And oh joy, I see this every. time. I. open. the. iOS. app. 

On further investigation (on iPhone):

If you select BBC Sounds from Your Services, the app has no ability to pull up any images from the radio shows or other content. It’s just black squares with generic icons. 

When you play a BBC station, suddenly the logo/song appears fine on full screen, and you can select the three dots to add to Sonos Favourites. But press stop and the screen shows again a generic musical note on black - and select the three dots and it displays an “Unable to load. Some information is missing from this content” message. 

On the previous app, when you pressed stop, the BBC station logo stayed on screen and all ‘three dot’ functions worked. 

(The same generic black squares appear as the thumbnail for some of my playlists too, where the app is unable to call up the content image, even though the playlist is playable when you go into it.)

It’s all so frustrating that we’re now the Beta testers.

Some input from someone at Sonos at this point would be nice.  We’re your customers guys — are you not going to reassure us that at least some of what is broken is going to be fixed ?? 

I am shocked by the apparent stupidity of this update. I can’t even sort my favourites, and Sonos has re-sorted them for me in some nonsensical order that seems to have no rhyme nor reason. And, like others, I am astonished that other useful features have been removed.To make matters even worse, some of my frequently used favourites (notably some Canadian CBC Radio stations) will no longer play either though favourites or when selected in the service. They worked before the update.

Yeah, this is absurd.  Sonos needs to pull this update and get everyone back on the previous version, this was not ready for production.

As no firmware appears to have been updated, a reversal should be a pretty easy process.

I leave Bluetooth OFF on my mobile devices, so guess what I see when I open the new iOS app? And oh joy, I see this every. time. I. open. the. iOS. app. 

My answer to this has been to leave the App in the background - it actually uses more battery to open and close an iOS App, compared to moving it between the background/foreground. In fact Apple suggest leaving things open and to let the OS handle the battery and device memory management.

See this (one of many) online links about this topic…

https://www.howtogeek.com/773871/stop-closing-apps-on-your-iphone/