Skip to main content

We’re proud to announce the launch of Sonos Radio, the premier radio experience on Sonos.  This is a free, ad-supported streaming radio service available to Sonos customers, offering access to an extensive assortment of music, news, live sports and more. 

Sonos Radio connects you with radio stations from around the world, with over 60,000 broadcast radio stations brought together in an easy to use interface. You can also use Sonos Radio to access radio services from our partners, such as iHeartRadio in North America, with more on the way. 

Sonos Radio features exclusive Sonos Stations, 30 genre-based stations based off of the music our owners listen to most. Get quick access to music with stations designed to complement the things you do at home, like getting ready in the morning, relaxing, working from home, cooking, and more.

Broadcasting from our Sonos Store in New York City, Sonos Sound System is the destination for music discovery and sonic inspiration. You can find Sound System along with our exclusive artist-curated stations under Sonos Presents in the app. 

Learn more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/482

impressed by the ‘local’ radio station offer for my region - still need to find out how stable the streaming service is and how good the sound quality - it is anyhow a good alternative for TuneIn

Any way to skip songs?

Hello, I’m not able to find the curated stations, Sonos Sound System, or artist stations. All I see on the Sonos Radio service are usual internet radios and local stations and I am in the UK, thanks

Any way to skip songs?

No, it’s the same thing as listening to a radio station on your car radio. 

Hello, I’m not able to find the curated stations, Sonos Sound System, or artist stations. All I see on the Sonos Radio service are usual internet radios and local stations and I am in the UK, thanks

Make sure both the controller, and the firmware upon your speakers is updated to 11.1. It wont show up otherwise. 

Is there a way to have the stations play the edited versions of songs? 

I only found out about this today, so I’m now 106 comments behind. Therefore, I’m not reading any of them to see if this has been answered.

How do the voice assistants work with this new radio service? I listen to pretty much one radio station and have been frustrated over the years how starting this has been handled by Amazon Alexa. I would hope that something that was provided by the speaker maker would be much better and I can stop having to use long strings of commands to get it going.

Sonos 11.1 brings ….. a whole load of problems with my system.  Beam keeps losing connection …. CR200 has developed a mind of its own.

Spent hours trying to get my system back up and running.

As usual, all other non-Sonos devices work as normal …. and all this for an ad-supported radio service.

All very disappointing.

Make sure both the controller, and the firmware upon your speakers is updated to 11.1. It wont show up otherwise. 

They both are 11.1, but still nothing

On demand would be an excellent addition - ie BBC Sounds.  Tune-in is not good at this eg BBC Sounds has around 20 previous episeodes of Gideon Coe’s programme on BBC 6 Music whereas Tune-in only has the 4 most recent.  Also, on Tune-in unlike BBC Sounds, if you listen to half of a programme, listen to something else, and then return Tune-in plays the programme from the beginning, it doen’t remember when you left the programme.

Exactly:

Sharing and Disclosure of Aggregate Data

We share data in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such data to identify you, with third parties, for example, for industry analysis.

You DO ‘share’ OUR data, and I’m sure you don't share it for the good of your health.

Who gave you this right? It wasn’t a condition of purchase when I gave you thousands of dollars!

I’ve come a bit late to this discussion, but it seems as if I’m the only one here who has sympathy for your position. I have been annoyed ever since Sonos made losing my privacy a condition of receiving updates - some time after I bought the equipment. I looked at Sonos Radio and immediately decided that I didn’t want it when I saw that it required a change to my data sharing. At least Sonos, to their credit, drew my attention to that fact straight away, allowing me to make an informed choice. However, all those years ago had I had a crystal ball I wouldn’t have bought into the Sonos platform in the first place.

Not only that, but I haven’t been able to see anything new that Sonos Radio brings to the radio experience that I want. That’s just my situation; I accept that others might have different needs, of course.

Hi

We control our Sonos using Amazon Alexa but cannot find a way to play Sonos Radio via an Alexa command. Any radio stations on TuneIn work. 

Is there an Alexa command which will control Sonos Radio? 

Thanks

Great SONOS RADIO!

Please don’t stop

“In the Absence Thereof”

Hi

We control our Sonos using Amazon Alexa but cannot find a way to play Sonos Radio via an Alexa command. Any radio stations on TuneIn work. 

Is there an Alexa command which will control Sonos Radio? 

Thanks

No, there isn’t.  Both Amazon and Google don’t allow you to control streaming sources that you can’t use on their own Echo and Google Home devices.  TuneIn, for example, works because you can play TuneIn on an Echo.

You can work around this by creating routines in third party applications like IFTTT, Yonomi, Smartthings, etc to play a specific Sonos radio (once added to My Sonos), but that is a bit more complicated.

It’s limited functionality, but one can “Stop” and “Continue” Sonos Radio. I’m experimenting with the command set. “Play” seems to work, but “Resume” picked up an Internet Radio station that I had been playing a wile ago. A second try of “Resume” continued Sonos Radio.

Thanks for the responses. 

I have tried the Sonos Radio and like it, Im in the NYC area and have my stations listed and playing great, my wife listens to a lot of Gospel music and she is happy with it so Im happy! lol

Exactly:

Sharing and Disclosure of Aggregate Data

We share data in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such data to identify you, with third parties, for example, for industry analysis.

You DO ‘share’ OUR data, and I’m sure you don't share it for the good of your health.

Who gave you this right? It wasn’t a condition of purchase when I gave you thousands of dollars!

I’ve come a bit late to this discussion, but it seems as if I’m the only one here who has sympathy for your position. I have been annoyed ever since Sonos made losing my privacy a condition of receiving updates - some time after I bought the equipment. I looked at Sonos Radio and immediately decided that I didn’t want it when I saw that it required a change to my data sharing. At least Sonos, to their credit, drew my attention to that fact straight away, allowing me to make an informed choice. However, all those years ago had I had a crystal ball I wouldn’t have bought into the Sonos platform in the first place.

Not only that, but I haven’t been able to see anything new that Sonos Radio brings to the radio experience that I want. That’s just my situation; I accept that others might have different needs, of course.

While I understand your frustration, I am somewhat surprised you pursued to buy products that inherently are designed for Internet-based services. Using streaming services, google and facebook controlled services will jeoperdize your privacy in one way or another. If you want to control your privacy,  buy records in a shop and pay cash.

A silly question but how do I remove Sonos Radio?  I just did the update to 11.1 and from my understanding it was supposed to be added automatically. 

I see the icon on the home screen but I don’t see it listed in music services where the help tells you to go if you want to remove it but other than that one icon I also not getting search results for it, etc.

So I am wondering if it was actually automatically added and more importantly even with the service removed is the app always going to have that icon?  I hope not.

Three questions:

(1) I’m in the US, why can’t I find the David Byrne station?

(2) How do I see the liner notes mentioned on this page? https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-radio

(3) Can’t I skip a track that i hate?  Please let me skip a track sometimes!

As for your third question, it’s a radio station, not a playlist of data. Just like you can’t skip a radio station song in your car, you can’t skip a song on a radio station in Sonos.

Since the service was launched yesterday, I assume, with no real data, that the David Byrne station hasn’t been released yet. Wouldn’t be the first time marketing was in front of reality. 

• As for your third question, it’s a radio station, not a playlist of data. Just like you can’t skip a radio station song in your car, you can’t skip a song on a radio station in Sonos.
  • Since the service was launched yesterday, I assume, with no real data, that the David Byrne station hasn’t been released yet. Wouldn’t be the first time marketing was in front of reality. 

Is it really not a playlist at its core?  When I start the station, play always begins at the beginning of a track.  Pandora has “stations”, too, and I can skip a track.

Stations are not a radio station. Similar concept, but no. I happen to frequently listen to a radio program on the web called Thistle & Shamrock. Because it’s a radio program, and not a playlist or podcast, I can’t skip music that is played. I have to listen to the entire program. Since I happen to record it for consumption at a later time, I’m able to fast forward and rewind, but if when it’s playing on the radio station I use, it’s directly linear. 

I get, and support what you want, but it adds a significant level of complexity to what ‘radio’ is. Is it possible? Sure. Just not likely. 

Re: Programme info on BBC Radio streams

Have just updated my system and have noticed that unlike the BBC Radio 2 stream on ‘Radio by TuneIn’, there is no ‘On Now’ programme info on ‘Sonos Radio’, so for now, I’m sticking with TuneIn as this seams like a backwards step for BBC Radio streams.

Edit - as I can switch between the higher quality AAC stream and the Sonos Radio 128k stream it’s possible to compare quality as well.  Definitely can hear that Sonos Radio stream not as full or good, however it is quite a few seconds ahead of the same TuneIn stream (never realised the delay via TuneIn was so large, so it does have an advantage).

Oh this does sound like a backwards step, I was hoping BBC stations might be a better stream. Hopefully at least Sonos inserting themselves into the implementation might give some additional options down the line and hopefully guarantee support in the S1 legacy app. 

Hi. In anticipation of the future legacy/modern split, I disabled updates on my system as an experiment. I now find that while my hardware hasn’t updated the app on my phone has automatically updated and I am no longer able to control my Sonos hardware.

Can you confirm that this situation will NOT occur once the last legacy release is made available, please?