Skip to main content

We’re proud to announce the launch of Sonos Radio, the premier radio experience on Sonos.  This is a free, ad-supported streaming radio service available to Sonos customers, offering access to an extensive assortment of music, news, live sports and more. 

Sonos Radio connects you with radio stations from around the world, with over 60,000 broadcast radio stations brought together in an easy to use interface. You can also use Sonos Radio to access radio services from our partners, such as iHeartRadio in North America, with more on the way. 

Sonos Radio features exclusive Sonos Stations, 30 genre-based stations based off of the music our owners listen to most. Get quick access to music with stations designed to complement the things you do at home, like getting ready in the morning, relaxing, working from home, cooking, and more.

Broadcasting from our Sonos Store in New York City, Sonos Sound System is the destination for music discovery and sonic inspiration. You can find Sound System along with our exclusive artist-curated stations under Sonos Presents in the app. 

Learn more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/482

Sharing and Disclosure of Aggregate Data

We share data in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such data to identify you, with third parties, for example, for industry analysis.

They don’t do this for the good of their health! As written, wise-up!

I don’t want Sonos to collect the data; if they didn’t have an ulterior motive to collect it, they wouldn’t choose to fight constant bad press for their universally slammed privacy policy.

From this forum: https://en.community.sonos.com/community-feedback-229090/complaint-to-the-uk-ico-and-referral-to-the-dutch-data-protection-authority-6827089

I see you stuck your head in the sand in this post

Re: Programme info on BBC Radio streams

Have just updated my system and have noticed that unlike the BBC Radio 2 stream on ‘Radio by TuneIn’, there is no ‘On Now’ programme info on ‘Sonos Radio’, so for now, I’m sticking with TuneIn as this seams like a backwards step for BBC Radio streams.

Edit - as I can switch between the higher quality AAC stream and the Sonos Radio 128k stream it’s possible to compare quality as well.  Definitely can hear that Sonos Radio stream not as full or good, however it is quite a few seconds ahead of the same TuneIn stream (never realised the delay via TuneIn was so large, so it does have an advantage).

We share data in aggregate form and/or in a form which does not enable the recipient of such data to identify you, with third parties, for example, for industry analysis.

They don’t do this for the good of their health! As written, wise-up!

I don’t want Sonos to collect the data; if they didn’t have an ulterior motive to collect it, they wouldn’t choose to fight constant bad press for their universally slammed privacy policy.

From this forum: https://en.community.sonos.com/community-feedback-229090/complaint-to-the-uk-ico-and-referral-to-the-dutch-data-protection-authority-6827089

I see you stuck your head in the sand in this post

*yawn*

What does everyone think about Sonos Radio in this Sonos Radio thread?

Is there a way for artists to submit music to your curators for consideration for programming on your stations?

Great question! Not that I know of currently, but I’ll let the team hear the idea as a suggestion for the future.

Just to clarify - does the TuneIn system still work as normal? e.g. is the new Sonos service totally separate from, and in addition to, TuneIn, or does it partially replace it?

The only change to TuneIn is that it has been moved in the order of services to its proper place alphabetically, and you can now remove it if you’d like. The service itself works the same. One major difference is that with Sonos Radio we get to host some of our own shows, the exclusive Sonos Stations and Sonos Sound System which we’re really excited to host. 

So are the stations simply sourced from TuneIn? Will they eventually become “native”, streaming directly from the resource provided by the station itself?

Some stations are sourced through TuneIn, some through iHeart Radio, and we’ll be adding more partners in the future too. We’re not hosting all of the 60,000+ stations ourselves, just connecting you with the streams hosted elsewhere.

@Suecom I appreciate your concern over personal privacy. We try to be very clear about what data we use, how, and the fact that we do not sell it. The only information shared with our advertising partner for Sonos Radio is the language, genre of the station you're listening to, and location (in the form of general zip code based on the IP of connection). You can learn more about this on our Terms of Service: https://www.sonos.com/legal/sonos-radio-terms Also, I’ve worked at Sonos for almost 10 years now and we’ve always required an email address to register a system. If a system was unregistered, it couldn’t update or play any music that wasn’t TuneIn, line-in, or local music (assuming you had everything on the same software build). Over the years we’ve become even more clear about what we’re collecting and why.

But let’s all try to stay on topic in this thread. If you want to join another thread on privacy, or start your own, you’re welcome to share. 

I also find the station names ‘Rock Road Trip’ and ‘Cruise Control’ a little odd for a home audio system.  :grinning:

Just put a road trip on the TV and put some music on :)

Please add WMVY to the local list.  Martha’s Vineyard Radio - Great music.  mvyradio.org

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

Ryan,

And what about all the other data (not just for Sonos Radio): can you put in writing here that you do not ‘share’ ANY of our data in any form (aggregates, etc.) with ANY third party?

Ryan,

And what about all the other data (not just for Sonos Radio): can you put in writing here that you do not ‘share’ ANY of our data in any form (aggregates, etc.) with ANY third party?

It’s already in writing:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

Now take you off-topic nonsense elsewhere.

I also find the station names ‘Rock Road Trip’ and ‘Cruise Control’ a little odd for a home audio system.  :grinning:

Noted.  And I’m going to assume that I can listen to Cocktail Hour at any time of day.

Exactly:

You DO ‘share’ OUR data, and I’m sure you don't share it for the good of your health.

Who gave you this right? It wasn’t a condition of purchase when I gave you thousands of dollars!

Exactly:

You DO ‘share’ OUR data, and I’m sure you don't share it for the good of your health.

Who gave you this right? It wasn’t a condition of purchase when I gave you thousands of dollars!

You were politely asked to take this to another thread.  This thread is about the Sonos Radio release, not your privacy concerns.

And sharing is not selling.  

Exactly:

There is a link to create a new topic at the top right corner of the page.

Noted.  And I’m going to assume that I can listen to Cocktail Hour at any time of day.

That’s a bold decision, but I like it. It’s your prerogative, and I hear that it’s 5 o’clock somewhere… :)

That’s a bold decision, but I like it. It’s your prerogative, and I hear that it’s 5 o’clock somewhere… :)

That somewhere is over on Hot Country!  I’m gonna take a Rock Road Trip to Margaritaville!   After I’m done with this Thom Yorke station trip.

Just did the controller update and am checking out Sonos radio.  Mostly looks great. 

One station is playing great on TuneIn, but that same station on Sonos Radio, the songs aren’t properly encoded (KUTX 98.9, Austin TX).  The HD2 version of that station plays well on Sonos Radio.  Hoping the wrinkle gets worked out.

Thanks!

Not much given that it doesn’t work with the cr200 - and I avoid ad-based stations like the - err - plague.

@Ryan S - FYI, on Windows controller, your links are messed up in the add a service “Terms of Service” for SONOS radio.This happens because the close parenthesis “)” are part of the link.

Might want to fix this, unless it is intentional that people can’t review your terms of service :-P

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll let the team know.

This is the start of death by a thousand cuts to “legacy systems” comprising previously very expensive and fully working components. Why allow the update and show the music service on my CR200 controllers when I cannot then access the service to play via them? I have to use my only “smart device” with the app. What next - my Play 5s and Connect not able to process the service? It’s bad enough not having my Bridge - the heart of my system and not fully software updateable after May apparently, not included in the discount scheme.

On first listening I won’t be missing much as the sound quality is typical of streaming radio, flat, tiring to the hearing. If I’m allowed, I’ll stick with TuneIn Radio for speech and my BBC HD URL feeds for decent radio music.

@Ryan S, I just noticed this bug today.   The album art and , title is showing the ‘Pool’ room and it’s displaying the track info on Pool (not visible), however, it’s actually controlling a group that doesn’t contain Pool.  I included the volume to illustrate.  If I switch the Room to the proper group, everything works properly.  However, if I switch to a different app and then back to Sonos, I see the image below again.  The group is playing a Sonos Radio station, but not sure if it’s specific to Sonos radio or an issue with 11.1. in general.

So, where is it?

My apps are on 11.1 and I’m looking at the Browse screen but nothing new. If I try to add a service. no option. If I use Tunein I get a popup telling me how great Sonos Radio is.

In this world of simplicity, why does Sonos continue to buck the trend and swim against the current?

HHH

It's a great feature. 128kbps is a bit disappointing though, and also somewhat confusing, given the primary talking point of the upcoming S2 software being higher-resolution audio.

So, where is it?

My apps are on 11.1 and I’m looking at the Browse screen but nothing new. If I try to add a service. no option. If I use Tunein I get a popup telling me how great Sonos Radio is.

In this world of simplicity, why does Sonos continue to buck the trend and swim against the current?

HHH

Any chance your players haven’t updated yet? Check in the Sonos app under Settings > System > System Updates that everything is up to date first.

It's a great feature. 128kbps is a bit disappointing though, and also somewhat confusing, given the primary talking point of the upcoming S2 software being higher-resolution audio.

The system wouldn’t be capable of playing higher resolution right now.  It’s entirely possible higher than 128 stream are available once the system is in place to play that content.