Introducing Era 100

Related products: Hardware News
Introducing Era 100

Hi all,

Today we introduce Era 100, reinventing a category-leading icon.

Sonos Era 100

Only slightly larger than its predecessor Sonos One, Era 100 features all-new hardware and software, with next-gen acoustics and design that deliver detailed stereo sound and deep bass.

• Now in stereo: Two angled tweeters send crisp high frequencies left and right for a rich stereo experience, while a larger midwoofer creates stunning bass that’s unexpected from a single compact speaker.

• Small but mighty: Packed full of audio and tech enhancements, Era 100’s slim, modern design makes it a chic accent piece for any bookshelf, kitchen counter, desk or nightstand.

• Customize your system: Level-up movie night by adding two Era 100 speakers as rears with your soundbar to create a surround sound system, or simply pair two together for room-filling stereo sound. 

Era 100 from the back

Premium, responsible design that keeps everyone in mind

Building on Sonos’s timeless acoustic-driven design aesthetic, Era 100 and Era 300 are responsive to the challenges facing our environment—and better for everyone who interacts with our designs, featuring a bold new UI and innovations that will help them last longer, use less energy and make use of recycled materials in each product. 

• More sustainable sound: Era 100 and Era 300 are made with post consumer recycled (PCR) plastic and packaged in 100% sustainably sourced paper, while also engineered to reduce power consumption with under two watts idle power consumption and a new advanced sleep function.

• Built to last: Designed to live in your home for years, both speakers are built for serviceability by reducing the use of adhesives and transitioning to screws for easy disassembly and repair.

• Bold, new UI: Era 100 and Era 300 feature an intuitive new user interface, including a new capacitive volume slider for simple control that complements quick and private control of your music with Sonos Voice Control, the Sonos app, Apple AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth®️.

• Upgraded connectivity: Stream all the audio you care about using WiFi or Bluetooth, and directly connect other audio devices such as a turntable using an auxiliary cable and the Sonos Line-In Adapter.

• Expanding Trueplay to more listeners: Using the microphone array in Era 100 and Era 300, Trueplay optimizes the sound for the unique acoustics of your space with just a tap in the Sonos app. Available to both Android and iOS users.

Era 100 will be available for pre-order on sonos.com today, and globally starting March 28 2023 for $249USD, £249, €279, $399AUD. For more information, please visit Sonos.com

Read the full press release for Era 100 and Era 300 here.

Looks great, but i am not sure it will offer enough to upgrade from my Play:1 and One’s. My play:1 are the surrounds for my arc+sub and I was really hoping the new Era 100 would offer some sort of hight channel and I would replace my Play:1 speakers. But i’d have to get the Era 300 which is a $1100 solution here in Canada. 

To get the full Atmos setup in Sonos is now a $3000 dollar setup here in Canada. That’s 33% more than the excellent received Samsung solutions Q990. 

Others will no doubt jump on it. Me. Just a bit disappointed. We will see what the sound like once they are in peoples hands, sure they will be nice. But with no hight they don’t plug into my entertainment system and for my office my two One’s are peachy. 

Considering I have Play Fives, Ones, Play:1s, Beam, Arc, Sub, Move and Roam…. this is the first time in a while I will not bother with an upgrade since I have enough speakers and won’t get the benefit of the ‘speaker shuffle’! 

I read somewhere that if I connect my turntable to one of the Era 100 via line in, I can stream music to all of my speakers. Is that true? I am deciding between upgrading my Sonos Ones to these or getting a Sonos Port. Basically my objective is to be able to use my turntable to play music on my arc and the surrounds. 

@britishwonderings  - I’m with you on this one.

Won’t be updating as I have too many already and cannot justify any more right now.

Will be interested to see the reviews though 😀

I read somewhere that if I connect my turntable to one of the Era 100 via line in, I can stream music to all of my speakers. Is that true? I am deciding between upgrading my Sonos Ones to these or getting a Sonos Port. Basically my objective is to be able to use my turntable to play music on my arc and the surrounds. 

Yes.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/listen-to-your-turntable-on-sonos

Honestly, how much will they improve from One/One SL as a surround speakers? If someone decieded to make the upgrade, let us know.

Honestly, how much will they improve from One/One SL as a surround speakers? If someone decieded to make the upgrade, let us know.

this is what i’m interested in as well. i missed my exchange window by 5 days, love my Ones, but curious what benefit the Era100s will bring. Sure they each have stereo, so more rounded rear channels, but does that matter much? need sound test.

Is it possible to connect directly to a computer that has usb-c?

Wondering what power cable it uses? I may replace a Sonos One with this but the angled power cable is hidden behind a false wall so this is a big consideration in my decision. There are no power cables in the shop mention compatibility with the Era 100.

So weird question but because it is now Bluetooth capable it is not a Move replacement because it still needs a power plug to operate? It just has that capability. Correct.

Hi thinking of getting era 100 if I connect via Bluetooth to my turntable can I then play through my sonos ones and my arc

In the exploded view of the era 100, there’s mention of a “co-neural processor”.  What is that?  And why?  A search for “neural” on the entire website returns nothing...so...um…???

So weird question but because it is now Bluetooth capable it is not a Move replacement because it still needs a power plug to operate? It just has that capability. Correct.

that would be my assumption too.

Hi thinking of getting era 100 if I connect via Bluetooth to my turntable can I then play through my sonos ones and my arc

Correct.  This is the case with Roam via bluetooth, and no reason to think this will be any different.

In the exploded view of the era 100, there’s mention of a “co-neural processor”.  What is that?  And why?  A search for “neural” on the entire website returns nothing...so...um…???

Probably just a fancy of why of saying that’s the brains of the speaker.

Probably just a fancy of why of saying that’s the brains of the speaker.

Neural usually means there’s some sort of learning capability.  Perhaps its for the truplay tuning (though the era300 doesn’t have it)?  But I’ll bet you’re right...it’s more likely just a marketing person enjoying the sexiness of that word.

I am curious about this as well.

Do you think 2 sonos era 100/300 paired in stereo can work via bluetooth?

Do you think 2 sonos era 100/300 paired in stereo can work via bluetooth?

Yes

So I don't need to connect via the inline cable just using the Bluetooth I can connect to all my other speakers 

this is what i’m interested in as well. i missed my exchange window by 5 days, love my Ones, but curious what benefit the Era100s will bring. Sure they each have stereo, so more rounded rear channels, but does that matter much? need sound test.

I’m suggesting they will be little different in surround configuration, especially since many of the new features turn off in that mode: stereo becomes mono, line-in disabled, Bluetooth disabled, etc. What you are left with is something akin to a One, just with a bit more clarity and bass.

@arcadelt -  I would agree. The bigger difference will of course be moving from Ones to the Era 300 speakers, for obvious reasons. 

I will be sticking with my One SLs as surround as I just cannot afford 2 of the 300 speakers right now anyway. 

I am curious about this as well.

Sonos sales replied with a no

‘The Sonos Era 100 and 300 speakers do not support a direct USB-C line in. They are designed to use the USB-C connector as an adaptor platform only, due to this you will need said adaptor to plug a Mac into a Sonos Era speaker.’

I’m suggesting they will be little different in surround configuration, especially since many of the new features turn off in that mode: stereo becomes mono, line-in disabled, Bluetooth disabled, etc. What you are left with is something akin to a One, just with a bit more clarity and bass.

@arcadelt -  I would agree. The bigger difference will of course be moving from Ones to the Era 300 speakers, for obvious reasons. 

I will be sticking with my One SLs as surround as I just cannot afford 2 of the 300 speakers right now anyway. 

The Era 100 speakers have 3 amplifiers, 2 tweeters, and 1 woofer, while the One/One SL speakers have 2 amplifiers, 1 tweeter, and 1 woofer. The extra amplifer and tweeter will assist in providing better stereo separation, high accurate response, and more audio clarity. Hardware wise they are better, however the audible improvement depends on the user. 

I also agree that you’ll notice a bigger difference going from the One/One SL speakers to the Era 300. Retailers will receive demo models following the release of the Era 100/Era 300 for you to listen to and try out to see you would benefit from the upgrade.

Wondering what power cable it uses? I may replace a Sonos One with this but the angled power cable is hidden behind a false wall so this is a big consideration in my decision. There are no power cables in the shop mention compatibility with the Era 100.

The Era 100/Era 300 use the same figure 8 power cable, but it’s a different mould from the One/One SL, so you would have to use the cable that comes with the Era 100/Era 300.

That’s correct, it has Bluetooth capability but isn’t one of our portable speakers, so still requires a mains connection. 

So I don't need to connect via the inline cable just using the Bluetooth I can connect to all my other speakers 

Correct, if you’re playing Bluetooth content then you just need to group your other speakers connected to Wi-Fi with the Era 100 and it’ll play to them as well. 

So, it’s not worth to up grade from 2 ONE SL to 2 100 ERA sorround speakers?🤔