Answered

Sonos Roam - Stuck In Sleep Mode

My sonos roam is stuck in sleep mode, the app is alerting me to press any button - and even when I do it does not leave sleep mode.  It also will not respond to me holding the power button for 5+ seconds.

The device is stating that the battery is fully charged and the device is plugged in - however, when I unplug the Roam, I am unable to turn it on.

Is this a battery issue, or a true sleep issue?  I have owned the roam for less than a year.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 January 2023, 03:37

View original

11 replies

Sounds more like a software “stuck” issue. I’m assuming you’ve done a full shut down, waited a couple of minutes, then powered it back up?

If you have other Sonos speakers, I’d recommend a  factory reset , but this will erase any data stored on it, including playlists, etc. 

Might actually be better to first call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

It is possible to check the Roams battery via the web interface - goto this address using a web browser and see if all looks okay:

http://[iP Address of Roam]:1400/status/batterystatus

If the Battery/LED/Sleep issue persists, then try this…

• Whist ‘off’ it’s charger (that’s important) with the device powered ‘on’- press and hold the rear power-button. The Roam will power itself off after approx. 5-6 seconds, but do not let go the button, keep it pressed for about another 15+ seconds until you see the front top status LED (near Sonos logo) light-up and glow white and then place the Roam back on its USB-C charger (5V/2A (10W) PD power output minimum charge level) and leave it until it’s fully charged (check via the web interface) - when it’s reached 100% it should then be okay after that.🤞
  • Note you may need to repeat the above steps, if there is no sign of the device working after being put back on its charger, but wait for 30-40 minutes before taking it off the charger to try again.

Hope that assists.

Same problem here, no resolution from the above (no white light comes back on after holding button). No option to factory reset the roam on the app from what I can tell. 

Same problem here, no resolution from the above (no white light comes back on after holding button). No option to factory reset the roam on the app from what I can tell. 

You are perhaps best to contact and seek assistance from Sonos Support Staff via this LINK 

Forgot to mention it's on 2 separate roam devices, and we're posting this 3 days apart so it stands to reason the problem is on Sonos software end

Forgot to mention it's on 2 separate roam devices, and we're posting this 3 days apart so it stands to reason the problem is on Sonos software end

I don’t see the many hundreds of thousands of folks who probably now own these devices complaining and my two Roams here are working just fine with the current software release, but either way, you’re best to get in touch with Sonos, not much more the user-community can do if you’ve followed the advice, without success… it’s best to put the matter into the hands of Sonos Staff, via the link provided earlier.

Same problem here since a few days. Sonos Roam stays in sleep mode, whatever you do.

I guess this is a new software bug 

Same problem here since a few days. Sonos Roam stays in sleep mode, whatever you do.

…and yet my two Roams here are both absolutely fine on v14.20.1 (build70436090) of the software/firmware, so don’t think it’s going to be a software bug.

…and yet my two Roams here are both absolutely fine on v14.20.1 (build70436090) of the software/firmware, so don’t think it’s going to be a software bug.

Hah!  Famous last words. Like you, my Roam was absolutely fine until it wasn’t. Sonos has a problem with the Roam and they know it. It certainly feels like buggy battery charging / power management software or maybe they had a bad batch of batteries. Don’t know, don’t care.

I do care that Sonos is replacing my pre-order and way out of warranty Roam for the second time, even though the warranty expired more than 8 months ago. In my opinion, they are quietly taking care of a well known issue.  

If this happens to anyone else, Sonos support can easily get an exception to the one year warranty. Just don’t be a d***, like some folks in here and support with treat you right. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

@dougelder,

I think around May-time this year (2023), the Roams here will be approaching two years old IIRC - and with the amount of use I’ve had from each of them (every day), they have probably paid for themselves already.

In real terms, these days, each one is less than the cost of a 1-month  (modest 3 bedroom house) Electricity or Gas bill, here in the UK, so if either/both fail, I don’t think I will worry too much about it ..and will just save up my pennies and buy another… or they might actually be covered by our ‘small gadget’ insurance (not sure 🤔? - I would need to check that). Perhaps not, as it’s probably normal wear and tear.

Anyway I’ll start saving just in case. but maybe check back here with me in another two years time and I’ll let you know just how everything went and if they’re still going strong - as I say they both seem fine at the moment.

I’ve found the root cause of the problem and solution in another forum discussion. It seems there is a communication problem with the WiFi network when you have this problem.

Solution: you need to reset your WiFi network (switch off and on). 

Please note that resetting the Sonos Roam SL to factory settings didn’t solve the problem. The device was not visible anymore in the system. So when you have this problem, reset your WiFi network.