Why are my surrounds SL muted when connected to beam

Badge

When my SLs are in separate groups they work alright but they’re not collectively working together, so I can pick and choose which speaker I’m listening to which is annoying. I want them to be all in the same group so I can true tune them but when I try my SLs get super muted and staticy. I don’t know what’s up

10 replies

Badge

When my SLs are in separate groups they work alright but they’re not collectively working together, so I can pick and choose which speaker I’m listening to which is annoying. I want them to be all in the same group so I can true tune them but when I try my SLs get super muted and staticy. I don’t know what’s up

Moderator Note: Diagnostics recorded and removed. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your post is confusing. Are the SL’s separate rooms, a stereo pair, or bonded to Beam as surrounds? 

If your SL’s are bonded to the Beam as surround effects speakers, as suggested in your thread title, they can only play any effects sounds from the movie. Many broadcasters only send stereo DD 2.0 programs, so there is no surround data for the SL’s to play. 

If they are bonded as surrounds, you can’t group them, as they are a part of the room containing Beam and SL’s. 

If they are separate room or rooms, how are you trying to group them?

When you run Trueplay, it tunes the speaker(s) in that room setup, for the physical room in which they are located. It doesn’t run Trueplay simultaneously on all speakers in all rooms. 

Badge

So I’ve been trying both surround and separate groups. That’s what I was explaining. I want them to be surrounds connected to the beam but when they are they become muffled and fuzzy. And if I set them up ad their own rooms and group them they’re loud and clear buuut they’re not working together like they would if the surround type was working

@JensenDouillard
Have you perhaps got the Beam wired to thd LAN and have mistakenly switched off the WiFi adapters on your Beam? As that would likely explain why you’re seeing this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you set them as surrounds and stream some music to the room, do they and the Beam play ok? Is it just an issue with tv as the source? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So I’ve been trying both surround and separate groups. That’s what I was explaining. I want them to be surrounds connected to the beam but when they are they become muffled and fuzzy.

Set them up as Surrounds, select a streaming audio source (NOT the TV) and in settings set the surround mode to FULL. How do they sound after doing that.

If you select AMBIENT then they are fed internally generated “ambient” audio that does sound quite washed out as it is only intended to supplement the main speakers without disrupting the stereo image they create.

In TV sourcing, the TV is in control of what happens on the surround speakers so different source choices make a gret difference in what they are sent and you hear.

There is no good way to have them Grouped for TV audio, there will be a delay/echo that can’t be eliminated.

Badge

It’s definitely an issue with the tv. It’s a projector. I know that’s where the problems stem from but I’m trying to trouble shoot around it. When I play music from Sonos they sound great but it’s only audio from the projector that’s messed up

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s definitely an issue with the tv. It’s a projector. I know that’s where the problems stem from but I’m trying to trouble shoot around it. When I play music from Sonos they sound great but it’s only audio from the projector that’s messed up

Now that you’ve told us this, I don’t think there’s a lot more the community can do to help you.

There’s a small chance the decoder in your Beam is faulty, but I rather suspect it may be the projector causing your problems. 

To rule out a faulty Beam, generate a diagnostics report and contact Sonos support. 

What is the video source?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

To make that clearer: What video service, what level of that service, and what program are you listening to.

Also what does the Sonos App show for the video audio mode?