Answered

Surround Audio setting doesn’t change surround levels on Era 300s

Userlevel 7

@Corry P Some Reddit users noticed that the Surround Audio TV Level setting doesn’t actually change the rear surround levels on the Era 300s. So I decided to test it for myself.

When playing a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Test Tones video and a DTS 7.1 Sound Check video, the TV Level setting has no affect on the levels of the rear surround channels. It only changes the side surround levels.

When playing a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 Test Tones video, the TV Level setting has no affect on the levels of both surround channels. BUT when playing a DTS 5.1 Sound Check video, the TV Level setting DOES change the levels of the two surround channels.

NOTE: The DTS audio is being played as Multichannel PCM from a Blu-ray player.

Is this a bug in the software?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 July 2023, 10:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 2

Thank you for posting this. I am the original author of the Reddit post. Thank you for also posting this here and doing additional testing of your own. I also created a thread here in this community before I saw your post.

I truly believe this is not working as intended. Hopefully we can get an official response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Thanks for your post!

Several of the settings sliders are not functioning on iOS devices - we are aware of this and are working on a fix.

If you happen to have an Android controller, please adjust settings on it in the meantime.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Thanks for your post!

Several of the settings sliders are not functioning on iOS devices - we are aware of this and are working on a fix.

If you happen to have an Android controller, please adjust settings on it in the meantime.

I hope this helps.

Interesting. So if I do my normal Trueplay with my iPhone and then switch over to an android device I can adjust the surround levels on there and it will raise both side and rear surrounds as opposed to only the side surrounds when I do it on iPhone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ejihnen 

I am not aware of all the details, but I believe so, yes. If you are able to ascertain that this is not the case, please let me know here. Thank you.

Userlevel 2

Hi @ejihnen 

I am not aware of all the details, but I believe so, yes. If you are able to ascertain that this is not the case, please let me know here. Thank you.

Used an Android device to change the surround levels in the app and the issue is still the same; side surrounds change in volume with slider while rear surrounds do not

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ejihnen 

Thanks for letting me know. I will feed this back to our engineers.

Userlevel 1

@GuitarSuperstar what are you using as test tones? I tried an mkv file but i noticed my up fire speakers are not producing any sound and the inner drivers from both of my eras are not producing any sound either. I have removed them as surround and played the audio again but still have the same experience. I wonder if it’s the audio that’s corrupted or simply not meant to be tested with the eras and I’d like to try a different source. 

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar what are you using as test tones? I tried an mkv file but i noticed my up fire speakers are not producing any sound and the inner drivers from both of my eras are not producing any sound either. I have removed them as surround and played the audio again but still have the same experience. I wonder if it’s the audio that’s corrupted or simply not meant to be tested with the eras and I’d like to try a different source. 

I am using test tone videos from official Dolby Atmos and DTS demo Blu-ray discs. But you can download these MP4 files from Dolby’s website.

https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones_7_1_4.mp4

https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones_5_1_2.mp4

These files can also be played in Dolby Atmos directly from an iPhone to an Apple TV 4K or Roku Ultra via AirPlay.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My atmos speakers were doing the same and not producing any sound as well.  When I unpaired the 300s as surrounds and re-paired them, and after true-playing again, I do hear the Atmos up firing speakers during the 7.1.4 test file.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Any update on this?

Just to add that I am experiencing this problem as well.

I also have the same issue, can you confirm when will this be fixed?

Is there any update on this. Still having this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar et all

We have been unable to reproduce this issue with Atmos playback on Arc and Era 300s. I would encourage you to remove your Era 300 surrounds from your Arc and add them back again - if that does not resolve the situation, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team in order to go through some troubleshooting steps and to provide some contextualised diagnostics. Please feel free to mention this thread when getting in touch - it’ll reduce the amount of explaining you’ll need to do

I hope this helps..

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar et all

We have been unable to reproduce this issue with Atmos playback on Arc and Era 300s. I would encourage you to remove your Era 300 surrounds from your Arc and add them back again - if that does not resolve the situation, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team in order to go through some troubleshooting steps and to provide some contextualised diagnostics. Please feel free to mention this thread when getting in touch - it’ll reduce the amount of explaining you’ll need to do

I hope this helps..

I am still experiencing this problem. How about everyone else?

Userlevel 7

We have been unable to reproduce this issue with Atmos playback on Arc and Era 300s.

@Corry P When your engineers play the 7.1.4 test tones file below, are they able to control the volume of the rear surround channels (inside drivers) of the Era 300 using the Surround Audio level sliders?

And are they unable to reproduce the issue with 7.1 and 5.1 playback too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

I’m told the effect is not as pronounced as it is with other units used as surrounds, but that it is there and noticeable. 5.1 was not tested at that time and by that person.

Could you please submit a support diagnostic, change the surround levels, then submit another and share both numbers with me here? Thanks.

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

I’m told the effect is not as pronounced as it is with other units used as surrounds, but that it is there and noticeable. 5.1 was not tested at that time and by that person.

Could you please submit a support diagnostic, change the surround levels, then submit another and share both numbers with me here? Thanks.
​​​​​​

@Corry P The effect is there, but the issue is the Surround Audio level slider doesn’t change the level of the two inside drivers on the speaker. Those drivers remain at the same level regardless if the TV Level slider is set to -15 or +15. The TV Level slider only changes the volume of the two outside drivers. Is this by design?

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Before - 546026888

After - 1696952144

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Before - 546026888

After - 1696952144

Hey @Corry P. Do you have an update on this? Did the diagnostics reveal anything? Is it by design that the inside drivers of the Era 300s remain at the same level regardless of what setting the Surround Level sliders are set to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

The best thing would be to troubleshoot with our agents, and if they can’t help, eventually get the case escalated.

Neither diagnostic reports indicated anything wrong, and my colleague was not able to reproduce the problem. He thinks what you experience may be more to do with the Arc than with the Eras. Therefore, removing the surrounds and adding again may help, or perhaps a reset of the Arc.

And no, this is not by design.

I hope this helps.

Which test tones are you currently utilizing? I experimented with an MKV file, but I observed that the upward-firing speakers remain silent, and the inner drivers of both my Era speakers do not produce any sound either. Despite removing them as surround speakers and replaying the audio, the issue persists. I am beginning to question whether the audio file is corrupted or if it is simply unsuitable for testing with the Era speakers. I am interested in exploring an alternative audio source to troubleshoot this matter further.

Userlevel 7

Which test tones are you currently utilizing? I experimented with an MKV file, but I observed that the upward-firing speakers remain silent, and the inner drivers of both my Era speakers do not produce any sound either. Despite removing them as surround speakers and replaying the audio, the issue persists. I am beginning to question whether the audio file is corrupted or if it is simply unsuitable for testing with the Era speakers. I am interested in exploring an alternative audio source to troubleshoot this matter further.

I am using a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos Test Tones video from a Dolby Atmos Blu-ray demo disc. But it is also available here to download:

If you have an iPhone and an Apple TV 4K, you can AirPlay this video from your iPhone to the Apple TV and it will play in Dolby Atmos. Or you can download the file onto a USB flash drive and plug it into your TV. Just confirm that it is playing in Dolby Atmos in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

The best thing would be to troubleshoot with our agents, and if they can’t help, eventually get the case escalated.

Neither diagnostic reports indicated anything wrong, and my colleague was not able to reproduce the problem. He thinks what you experience may be more to do with the Arc than with the Eras. Therefore, removing the surrounds and adding again may help, or perhaps a reset of the Arc.

And no, this is not by design.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P Can you ask your colleague to watch this video that explains the problem in detail?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Thanks! I have done so, and he has created an investigatory ticket.