Answered

Sonos Arc and Sony Blu Ray player

Badge +1

Good afternoon all 

New to Sonos, I’ve got an Arc and I’ve got it working with Sky Q and arc connects to HDMI 3 eArc input .. Sky is on HDMI 2 and Blu Ray HDMI 4 … sounds ok on Sky but no sound at all on Blu Ray. 

I’ve ensured that Blu Ray is on same network as Arc .. looked at settings on Blu Ray (Sony BDP-S790)  .. can’t find anything more I can do .. any help appreciate here please  

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 29 May 2023, 16:16

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Check audio settings on the Blu-ray (eg must NOT be DTS:HD) and on your TV.

If problems persist give the TV model as it may not be able to pass through the audio signal from the player.

You might have to use its optical output to your TV for audio.

What does the Sonos app say is playing on the TV at the time of the silence?

Badge +1

The Sonos app says it’s on TV .. the Sony model is only 2 years old … so should be new enough .. about £2k 55” tele 

like I say it works for sky q box but nothing for the Blu ray machine silence.  Not even tv speakers playing anything 

there appears to only be one hdmi output from Sonos and I’m using that for the connection to tele on hdmi 3 which is eArc hdmi socket. 

just not sure what to do now but thanks for commenting at all. 

Userlevel 7

Set the Blu-ray player to these settings:

Digital Audio Output: Auto

BD Audio MIX Setting: OFF

Audio DRC: OFF

Set the TV to these settings (if available):

eARC: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

What exact model TV do you have?

Badge +1

Hiya 

model is Sony KD-55AG9 

sony Bravia 4K ur2

thanks so much ! 

Badge +1

Ps 

done all your kind suggestions .. Blu ray Ived set the option of “Audio HTMI to Auto” I’ve not got digital audio output as an option so suspected this is the one to change 

All other changes I’ve done too … thanks 

Badge +1

Sorry to state the obvious it didn’t work 

Badge +1

Ps again 

first stick on hdmi 1 works sky q on hdmi 2 works it’s the Sony Blu ray on hdmi 4 that doesn’t ? 

Hadn’t thought about the Firestick option 

blu ray should work surely ? It’s connected by hdmi too ?

Thanks again. 

Userlevel 7

Set the Dolby Digital/DTS setting on the Blu-ray player to Bitstream.

Is your TV equipped with HDMI eARC? What specific Blu-ray disc are you testing?

Badge +1

Hiya 

yet set to bitstream option already thanks 

Tv does have hdmi eArc and Sonos on hdmi 3 input which is that eArc input 

Blu ray is the last samurai Blu ray disc 

thanks 

Badge +1

Have tested another Blu ray and no sound still 

Userlevel 7

Be sure the HDMI cable is connected to the HDMI OUT Video 1 port on the Blu-ray player, NOT the HDMI OUT Audio 2 port. If this doesn’t work, try connecting the Blu-ray player to a different HDMI port on the TV.

Badge +1

Tried a different cable but same issue and tried a different hdmi socket and didn’t work 

thanks though 

Userlevel 7

Which HDMI port are you using on the Blu-ray player?

If you set the Audio (HDMI) setting on the Blu-ray player to PCM, does it make any difference?

Badge +1

There is only one hdmi output that on the blu ray machine 

Userlevel 7

There is only one hdmi output that on the blu ray machine 

Are you sure? According to the manual there are two HDMI outputs:

Badge +1

My apologies … yes there is 2 hdmi outs but for some reason they’d covered the 2nd one with a sticker so i didn’t see it ! Sony did it from manufacture. 

I’ve now put it in hdmi 1 and 2 and still sadly no sound .. losing the will now ! 

Userlevel 7

@Neil25 The only other thing you can try is disconnecting the Blu-ray player from the TV and unplugging the TV and Blu-ray player from power for a couple of minutes. Then connect the player back to TV and plug everything back in. Set the Audio (HDMI) setting on the Blu-ray player to PCM and test again. If this doesn’t work, you might have a defective Blu-ray player.