Answered

playbar not connecting to wifi.

• 27 October 2023
  • 6 replies

My modem died yesterday. I got a new modem and try to get everything all set up. My play bar wasn’t showing up in the settings, but was still playing. As I want to be able to control it independently, I tried multiple things, including, unfortunately, (as per comments, here by administrators), factory resets. I cannot get the Playbar to connect to the Wi-Fi. I’ve spent hours on the phone with both my Wi-Fi service provider as well as Sonos. I can get it working just fine with an ethernet cable. Unfortunately the TV is not located in proximity to my modem.

Is the Wi-Fi dead in this playbar?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Any help in getting my player? Bar connected to the Wi-Fi would be greatly appreciated. I’ve spent countless hours and torn out many hairs trying to get this resolved.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 27 October 2023, 19:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Unfortunately, there have been a very small sample of posts about broken WiFi in PLAYBARs, but I’m pretty sure I could count them on a single hand, and given the number sold, that’s an extremely low failure rate…but that doesn’t really help you. 

There are two things I’d be looking particularly closely at. The first is if the ‘WiFi’ has been turned off for that ‘room’ in the Sonos controller. Essentially, it should never be off, even if you have it wired. That switch turns off all the radio connections, and shouldn’t be used even if everything is wired. 

Second, I’d be looking for sources of wifi interference, not only from your own network, but devices outside your network, and even outside your home. 

Frankly, if the first thing was an issue, you should have been told by Sonos Support, but it may be worth calling back in. I’m not a fan of ‘Customer Service Roulette’, but sometimes it works, and Sonos, like every other company in the world, doesn’t always ‘win’ when it come to Customer Service. No one can afford to put engineers on the front line…and from the ones I’ve worked with, I wouldn’t want to. 

Thank you so much for your kind and rapid response. That being said, I actually unhooked the play bar from the TV took it to the router and hardwired to the router. It worked fine.  When I then removed the hard wire, following the steps in the app to connect something to the net work, I could never get it to connect. This with the sound bar, literally less than 2 feet from the router without any interference.

When I then removed the hard wire, following the steps in the app to connect something to the net work, I could never get it to connect. This with the sound bar, literally less than 2 feet from the router without any interference.

This is why I am wondering if the Wi-Fi portion of the play bar is dysfunctional. Thoughts?

Wi-Fi portion of the play bar is dysfunctional. Thoughts?

Thanks again. 

I think my thoughts were in the previous post. If you want, I could repeat myself….

I was giving you additional information - like the lack of interference.  

apparently once you have spoken you feel it is the word of god.   

no worries I have already found multiple options   

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Connect the Playbar with a cable again, make a diagnostic and call Sonos.

Thank you.