Answered

Mounting Sonos Arc with Samsung Serif TV

Badge

I’ve got the Samsung Serif TV, as well as a Sonos Arc which I’ve been contemplating mounting above the television. 

Because it stands on its own 4 legs though, I’ve been also thinking the possibility of mounting it below the television but then again access to the sound bar would be limited so back to my initial idea. Specifically given that the TV would sit ahead of the speaker, would it make sense to mount it right above the television? This would be above ear level but plenty of space between it and the ceiling.

I’ve literally searched everywhere but seems no one has had this dilemma. All thoughts/ideas welcome please.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 March 2023, 15:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bidzness 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We do not recommend mounting the Arc above the TV - for Atmos, the Arc relies on bouncing sound off the ceiling. If the Arc were too close to the ceiling, the angles would be wrong for getting the sound to your listening position.

If it helps, you won’t typically need access to the Arc - the TV’s remote will control volume and the Sonos app can control all functions (including volume), so putting it below the TV even if it blocks access to the controls would still be better than having the Arc above the TV (where you would presumably also have trouble accessing the Arc’s controls, so there’s no advantage to it).

You would, however, not want the TV to be in front of the Arc, as this would block the height channels again. Perhaps you could wall-mount the TV to be above and behind the Arc?

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Bidzness 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We do not recommend mounting the Arc above the TV - for Atmos, the Arc relies on bouncing sound off the ceiling. If the Arc were too close to the ceiling, the angles would be wrong for getting the sound to your listening position.

If it helps, you won’t typically need access to the Arc - the TV’s remote will control volume and the Sonos app can control all functions (including volume), so putting it below the TV even if it blocks access to the controls would still be better than having the Arc above the TV (where you would presumably also have trouble accessing the Arc’s controls, so there’s no advantage to it).

You would, however, not want the TV to be in front of the Arc, as this would block the height channels again. Perhaps you could wall-mount the TV to be above and behind the Arc?

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your response Corry! All of this completely makes sense to me, and this is why I needed to double check in case I missed any points from previous discussions on this matter.

The specific challenge I have is that my TV I cannot be mounted be design (see attached photo). At best it can be put on a TV stand (without its legs, in which case the Arc would block the lower part of the television). I’m gathering this might be what you/someone else might suggest instead of mounting it as it can only be behind the television in the current state. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bidzness 

I can see now that I should have performed a quick search on your TV before answering! That is a most unusual design. I think it’s fair to say that this TV just hasn’t been designed with sound-bars in mind.

The best I can think of is to remove the legs and place the TV on something to lift it above the height of the Arc, like a nice bit (or two) of hardwood - then place it, the wood and the Arc on a cabinet.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Corry P 

Sure thing, like the arguable more popular “Frame” (also from Samsung), these were designed with the additional purpose of aesthetics. There aren’t too may examples out there, if at all of different ways to make this useable with a sound bar, so your suggestion is well received. 

I’m just glad that I hadn’t yet drilled below/above it before I posed the question. I’ll keep posted on the outcomes (hopefully positive)

Best wishes 

Badge +20

The top of the Serif should take a Sonos Beam, not sure what size your Serif is.

Badge

The top of the Serif should take a Sonos Beam, not sure what size your Serif is.

Hi @Belly M , mine’s a 55” so agreed that it probably can fit on the top, but would this not affect the the height channels like @Corry P alluded to above? I’d say from the top of the television there’d still be about 1.3m until reaching the ceiling.

Badge

Discovered this on a redit forum but i suspect it would block the heigh channels? @Corry P 

Badge +20

Yes this would block the height channels, the top would be better if it fits. Buy direct from Sonos and you can return within a certain timeframe.

Badge

Yes this would block the height channels, the top would be better if it fits. Buy direct from Sonos and you can return within a certain timeframe.

I’ve already got the Arc (including the wall mount), so trying to establish how to make most out of it with my TV, but thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bidzness 

I concur.

Note that @Belly M is suggesting replacing the Arc with a Beam (Gen 2), which, although it plays Atmos, only virtualises the height channels and therefore has no up-firing speakers, so blocking them isn’t an issue. This only really an option (presumably) if you still have time left on your Money Back Guarantee period for the Arc. Not a bad idea though.

Now that I have seen the TV and how low it sits on it’s legs (with the legs going on the floor), however, mounting the Arc above the TV might not be as bad as I had originally supposed, though you’d still need to sit closer to it than average to get the full Atmos effect. It doesn’t look like the Arc would end up as close to the ceiling as it would if the TV was wall-mounted, which is what I had in mind with my initial answer.

If the Arc/Beam was actually resting on top of the TV, however, I’d be looking for some way to secure it - especially if you have a cat or children! If the TV will be against and parallel with a wall, I’d recommend wall-mounting the sound-bar.

I hope this helps.

Edit: this was written before I saw your latest reply.

Badge

Hi @Bidzness 

I concur.

Note that @Belly M is suggesting replacing the Arc with a Beam (Gen 2), which, although it plays Atmos, only virtualises the height channels and therefore has no up-firing speakers, so blocking them isn’t an issue. This only really an option (presumably) if you still have time left on your Money Back Guarantee period for the Arc. Not a bad idea though.

Now that I have seen the TV and how low it sits on it’s legs (with the legs going on the floor), however, mounting the Arc above the TV might not be as bad as I had originally supposed, though you’d still need to sit closer to it than average to get the full Atmos effect. It doesn’t look like the Arc would end up as close to the ceiling as it would if the TV was wall-mounted, which is what I had in mind with my initial answer.

If the Arc/Beam was actually resting on top of the TV, however, I’d be looking for some way to secure it - especially if you have a cat or children! If the TV will be against and parallel with a wall, I’d recommend wall-mounting the sound-bar.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P Thanks for clarifying, I suspect that my money back guarantee period has now elapsed given that I acquired this in December. However, ever so grateful for you and @Belly M helping me brainstorm. 

At present, with the legs of the TV being at an angle to the floor, a gap will exist between it and the wall so I guess I’ll hold off mounting until a point where I’ve establish it on a separate stand. Thankfully no kids/pets so perhaps for now I will resort to having it on top of the television.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You are most welcome, @Bidzness!