Skip to main content

I’m using a furète max 4K as audio and video source. It is connected to my tv on hdmi2.1 port. The tv is set for audio pass through on hdmi arc. The hdmi arc is connected to the Sonos arc. There is audio but in the Sonos app it has no audio in source listed and only stereo pcm is playing. If I rewire everything but use an onkyo tx-nr555 as source with the Max connected to an hdmi 2.2 on the amp, I get full spatial, hd and atmos. Why not with the max and arc by themselves?

What model TV do you have?

If its a LG TV, try these settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

Hello and thanks for replying. The tv is a high-def 3d Samsung 

• Un55f6800

it has a plethora of inputs and outputs, specifically 3 HDMI one of which is ARC capable. 

i think the problem is even I use all the same cables the Sonos arc is not transmitting it’s audio capability except through an external amp. 

The Samsung Un55f6800 is not capable of passing Dolby Atmos content to the Arc. You will need an audio extractor like the HDFury Arcana (best solution but expensive), or the OREI BK-927 to get that functionality.

Hi, that is what I suspected. It is quite an old model. I do have an ‘extractor’ in the TX-NR5555 which is itself very old, but supports Atmos, all the Dolby formats, and several other digital formats. Now, I can get the Atmos and HD audio using this in the chain, but with the ARC as a single ‘speaker’, in theater setup for video, no audio for dialoge is channelled. All the other audio channels in any format are chanelled ok. I long for my Cerwin Vega surround sound kit. But … too many wires, says my interior designer ;-)

I will persevere with the TX-NR555 as I’m sure I can get it to work with a one-speaker setup, or perhaps a no-speaker setup but with HDMI and ARC in the right combination.

The other solution would be to upgrade the TV to a newer model. As a bonus, there will be a big improvement with the picture too!

Hi, yes … I am looking at LG 75 inch OLED, but compared to the HDFury, I think the bank balance prefers the cabling solution 😆