Skip to main content

Atmos sound stops for a few seconds and resumes only on consoles.

• 23 September 2023
  • 6 replies

I have a Samsung Q950 tv with a dedicated eARC HDMI.

My tv apps like Netflix and Disney+ detect that I have Atmos supported hardware and when I play something, it works flawlessly.

On my consoles like the Xbox Series X and PS5, the sound in game stops for a sec and then resumes.

I do have to clarify that on my Xbox I have the Dolby Atmos app installed and on my PS5 I have the latest update that finally supports Atmos.

Maybe it’s a setting I have to change on the tv or on my consoles but I’m not proficient enough with every option (or the best).

Any advise is MUCH appreciated, have such an expensive setup, and this is annoying.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

In the TV settings, make sure the Digital Output Audio Format setting is set to Pass-Through, not Auto.

On the Xbox, enable Allow passthrough and only use the “Dolby Atmos for home theater” setting when playing actual Dolby Atmos content.

On the PS5, use the AV amplifier settings, not Soundbar. And only use the Dolby Atmos setting for actual Dolby Atmos content and games that have 3D audio.

Tv is on Pass-through.

PS5 is on TV mode as the Sonos is connected directly on the tv not on any amplifier or console. Changed that not to AV Amplifier just to test if it drops. 3D audio is only supported with Linear PCM so again useless for Atmos probably.

Xbox was not on Pass-through strangely enough. Activated it and will test that too.

Thanks!

Will post again with more results.

Well it happened again on PS5. Even when watching a Atmos 4K movie on PS5. So yea… turning off the Atmos setting for content not having Atmos is useless as Atmos content isn’t working properly either.

Maybe it IS the TV handshake with the console HDMI’s?

Userlevel 7

What Blu-Ray disc are you testing?

Use these settings on the PS5:

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV amplifier)

HDMI Device Type: AV amplifier

Number of Channels: 5.1 ch

Audio Format (Priority): Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. When streaming content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby-encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby Audio. Use the Dolby Atmos setting for content with Atmos audio.

When watching Blu-ray discs, there is another audio setting that must be adjusted when you start the disc. Tap the Options button on the controller, select the “…” and change the Audio Format setting to Bitstream for Dolby-encoded discs. Change this setting to Linear PCM for DTS-encoded discs.

A movie with Atmos audio obviously. :)

Anyway, tested a movie again this time on TV setting (not AV setting) and the movie did not have any sound stop.

So basically I have to turn Atmos off if I want to play a game that does not have it? Not very happy with that really… :(

There is a list of Atmos supported games:

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/playstation-5-games-with-dolby-atmos-support

The games I have on the list have the same issue with unsupported games, sound stops for a second and resumes…