Answered

Arc keeps disconnecting from Samsung TV

• 1 December 2022
  • 51 replies

My Arc has been having issues with connecting to my Samsung TV.  Prior to switching to the Samsung, I had a older Vizio.  The connection issue happened with the Vizio as well.  I would just unplug the HDMI and/or unplug the Arc and the audio would come back.  That is not the case with the Samsung.  The option for Home receiver Audio output on the TV goes away.

Also, I do use a Nvidia Shield for my content.

Is this a cable, TV, or Arc issue?

I have replaced the HDMI and seems to still happen. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 August 2023, 03:04

View original

51 replies

Userlevel 7

What model Samsung TV do you have?

Try this:

Disconnect everything from your TV including the Arc and unplug the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them both back in but keep them disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup under the Arc’s settings in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Arc has been successfully connected to the TV, connect the Nvidia Shield to the TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have this also on my Samsung TV.

My workaround is to power-down the Arc and then back up again.

It’s a right pain and the above is not a long-term solution.

I hope that Sonos come up with a fix.

I am having the same issue ever since I switched to the Samsung C10 and the arch when upgrading. Happens about every 35 minutes or so it seems using upgraded high quality hdmi. Still have yet to find what is the issue. Sonos needs to send a fix. This would be great. 

Having similar issue with 2 different clients both have a little older Samsung TVs and they are using optical not ARC and they are not getting tv sound anymore. Stated about the same time. Was an update pushed that broke the optical connection? 

Perhaps by Samsung, but not by Sonos. There are too many PLAYBARs and PLAYBASEs, not to mention Arcs that still use an optical input. 

However, I would actually be expecting that somehow those TV sets in question got changed from a Dolby Digital output to something that has more bandwidth than can be carried by an optical cable. A simple reset of the TVs output in the settings, or a reset of the settings of the device that is feeding the TV is where I would be looking. 

Everything has been reset and defaulted. Reconfigured. Sonos keeps saying no hdmi detected even though it’s been told it’s using optical no arc available. As mentioned these are older Samsungs that don’t have any new firmware updates available. 

Same issue here. The issue is intermittent. But when it happens, it flip-flops two or three times and then seems to settle down. My setup is a Sony Bravia 4k UR2 and an Arc, two Fives and a Sub

My Arc wouldn’t stay connected to my Samsung Neo and the cause turned out to be an Amazon Fire Cube that I used rarely, apparently a CEC issue. Disconnecting the Fire Cube fixed the problem; no amount of tinkering with its settings worked. However I discovered a device that does fix the issue: The BlueRigger CEC less adapter. It prevents CEC from working as it’s missing a pin. It is female to male, fits inline with the HDMI cable from an offending device, if there is one, and so far it works. No, you can’t switch to the Fire Cube by pressing the home button on its remote. You will have to switch inputs manually.  So far, I consider my $15.99 spent on Amazon worthwhile. FYI, a Roku Express doesn’t seem to have the same problem. 

i’ve also been having this issue as of the past week.  Likely a red herring, but after connecting to my Samsung TV with Apple AirPlay, it’s now been consistently disconnecting my Beam + Onex2 setup (in that I cannot choose HDMI receiver as an option for my sound output). 

Just happened today after it first occurred. It was fixed after the first occurrence by disconnecting all HDMI inputs and power from the Beam and the TV, then reconnecting power and the HDMI for the Beam first.  I had also updated Samsung’s TV firmware.  

Really annoying.  Hoping that this is just a hiccup and that it only occurs for a few more times.  If it persists, it is NOT a long term solution.  

Badge

I am having the same issue with my new Samsung TV. Very annoying. I can’t believe Sonos is not addressing this. I just ordered this BlueRigger 4K HDMI CEC Less Adapter (UHD, ARC,1080p, Ethernet, Male to Female CEC Blocker) -Compatible with HDTV, TV Stick, Chromecast, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PS5, Laptop, PC, Game Console, Soundbar https://a.co/d/al0W1Ao

Hopefully, it will resolve the issue.

Scott

Same problem. Keeps disconnecting. HDMI sound option not showing on my Samsung Q9.

I open the Sonos app and find the «TV» option in the app. When I adjust the volume with slider in app, the Sonos activates for like 5 seconds and switches back to TV sound.

Userlevel 1

Exact same issue with exact same setup. E-arc fails and I have to physically disconnect power from both the TV and the Arc to get them to pair up again. Power cycling just the Arc does nothing so it might be my Q80T that is the issue. The nvidia CEC drops out all the time too.

Same issue with my setup: 

Sonos Arc connected to HDfury and Apple TV 4K. I am using very high quality firber optic HDMI cables. 

I did not have any issued before upgrading to the latest Apple TV 4k. Since upgrading Sonos Arc keeps dropping off the HDMI connection. So , every time I want to turn on the system, I see on the HDFury LCD that there is no active HDMI on eARC even though ARC is connected and on. I have to unplug the HDMI cable from HDFury and reconnect and it will detect ARC. 
Also I have constant issues with Apple TV volume control which also started after upgrading to the latest Apple TV 4k. 

Help please :(((

Badge +2

Same random problem with a Sonos Arc + Samsung Q95T TV.

Same issue with HDFury, Samsung TV, ATV, Fios Verizon cable. Fios remote occasion drops connection to Sonos when turning on TV so sound comes from TV, not Sonos. Need to reboot Fury, or power reset Sonos. Any suggestions?

Sure. After one of these disconnects, submit a system diagnostic and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

Bought my arc, sub, and two Era 100s for a surround experience with my old Samsung TV a couple of months ago. Set up was seamless, as has been all of my other Sonos products. My old (2016) Samsung TV connected to the arc with HDMI eARC without a problem. This week I purchased a new Samsung Neo QLED QN90C TV, and I have experienced all of the headaches that other Sonos owners have mentioned on this and other forums.

The TV recognizes that ‘something’ is in the HDMI eARC port, but doesn’t identify it as the Sonos arc, and so doesn’t list it as a useable sound option. The Sonos arc keeps telling me to try connecting to the eARC with an HDMI cable (which I am, and have used different cables to be sure it isn’t a cable issue). 

If I go to the ‘Expert’ settings on the TV sound menu, and turn off the auto eARC, then turn it back on, IF my Sonos App on my phone is open and set to TV, I can use the phone to control the volume of the Sonos speakers and experience full surround sound. If the Sonos app isn’t open on the phone at the TV setting as that switch is made then it doesn’t work, and if I accidentally use the TV remote volume control then sound reverts to the TV and the Sonos surround no longer is active.

I have also tried all the different ways of unplugging cables, turning off the TV and arc, turning them on sequentially, but that is a once per use solution, not a permanent fix yet (at least not for me). 

So, I can work around this problem, but in a very frustrating way given that the Sonos speakers are new, the TV is new, and they both should be able to ‘talk’ to one another through the HDMI eARC port.

Has anybody on these forums, or has anyone at Sonos (or Samsung for that matter) found a lasting solution to the set-up and connection problem between these products?

Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can add to my last message to say I just tried a new HDMI 2.1 cable...it made no difference...I can still only use my phone app to control tv volume. 

I tried to add a CEC blocker to the Direct TV input HDMI cable, and no sound worked, period.

I used the Sonos optical adapter on an HDMI cable. The TV recognized the optical input and when I turned the tv and Direct TV boxes on using the Direct TV remote the sound came on through my Sonos surrounds; however, I still had to use my Sonos phone app to control the speaker volume...the Direct TV remote and the Samsung TV remote did not work to change volume. Using the optical input also disabled Dolby Atmos, which is one of the features I love about my Sonos speakers. 

I’m increasingly frustrated. I’m not seeing any info from Sonos online about how to fix this but will try contacting Customer Support. Failing that, Samsung Customer Support, but I have a feeling Samsung could care less about this than Sonos should, since there are other surround sound speaker systems available. Ugh! 

I have this issue as well. Sonos needs to fix this. I have been dealing with it for over two years and about to ditch the arc even though i have enjoyed the quality of sounds when it works. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have now given up the eARC connection. I have managed to the optical connection and use the DirectTV remote to control the Arc volume, with the Arc sound coming on when I turn the TV on. Surround sound is still very good using the optical connection and Era 100s for the rear speakers. I can play Dolby Atmos from music sources through wifi, just not hear Dolby Atmos from a TV source. I enjoy the Sonos Arc and the Samsung TV too much to give up either for the sake of the other. 

Have you tried the reset sequence given in the best answer above? It’s important that everything is unplugged from the TV after the reboot — and that the TV be unpowered for at least two minutes. (or the TV will not fully reboot.)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have followed the advice in this thread, and other threads, about this topic in terms of resetting, rebooting, sequentially plugging and unplugging everything and leaving the TV and Arc powered down for as long as 15 minutes. Using eARC HDMI the TV will not recognize Sonos Arc as an available sound source. Thanks for everyone’s input, but I’m going to stick with the optical connection for now. 

I’m experiencing the same issue multiple drop outs but eventually rights it’s self 

It looks like a lot of people are having Arc disconnect problems.  If you have a streaming device hooked up, a CEC blocker will fix the problem.  The blocker device has to be in-line with the offending peripheral, as far as I know.  I don’t think putting a CEC blocker in line with a cable or satellite box will work.
If you are getting disconnects without a streamer in place, then it’s a real mystery to me.   Since an Amazon Fire Cube is the culprit on my Samsung NEO, a CEC blocker stopped the disconnect.  Interestingly a Roku Express doesn’t cause the problem.  I think, therefore, it is incumbent on Amazon or Sonos to tix this bug.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
DH